The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

He refused to mine coal for the German navy.

One has to ask why he would be in such a position.

Nice to see the old thread cracking along again. I saw the clue for Shout and seriously thought about searching for an officer called Ghostbuster; I'm clearly not dealing from a full deck. What was interesting was how he got himself wounded and then killed leading from the front. One of the points that Pete Hart makes in his book on Gallipoli is the number of officers killed doing things that you have subalterns for; in the phrase "a heroic dead officer" the keyword is dead not heroic. It is a theme that Gordon Corrigan touches on too. From the descriptions of him it is hard to see Shout doing anything but leading from the front. A conundrum I think.

Pete.

Prisoner of War.

Indeed. This is where he started clocking up the miles.

Nice to see the old thread cracking along again. I saw the clue for Shout and seriously thought about searching for an officer called Ghostbuster; I'm clearly not dealing from a full deck. What was interesting was how he got himself wounded and then killed leading from the front. One of the points that Pete Hart makes in his book on Gallipoli is the number of officers killed doing things that you have subalterns for; in the phrase "a heroic dead officer" the keyword is dead not heroic. It is a theme that Gordon Corrigan touches on too. From the descriptions of him it is hard to see Shout doing anything but leading from the front. A conundrum I think.

Pete.

When I saw his quote "I am here with you boys to the finish." I liked him straight away.

Looked like such a gentle chap. C`est la guerre.

I must away to bed now, as I have a 4.15 start, but hopefully you can now wrap up our Welsh miner, who had no connection to rugby, but does have a connection with baseball.

Well played! If I'm not mistaken Wales' only "home run" of Ww1

But obviously not Mussolini who most definitely was an egg of the baddest variety.

Indeed. This chap was a noted anti-fascist: he served in the Spanish Civil War, and with the SOE in the Second war.

It's not Randolfo Pacciardi? Ticks some of the boxes, but not SOE as far as I can see.

Pete.

It's not Randolfo Pacciardi? Ticks some of the boxes, but not SOE as far as I can see.

Pete.

No. He wrote what has been described as "the Classic Italian Memoir of World War I."

Emilio Lussu

khaki

Yes, that's him. His memoir ('A Soldier on the Southern Front', first published in 1945) "is a magnificent, angry, ironic account of a year of trench warfare, which still packs the same punch as it did 70 years ago. Lussu takes apart the army hierarchy by depicting them as vicious bureaucrats, or pompous psychopaths." It is reviewed here:

http://www.historytoday.com/reviews/soldier-southern-front

His wiki page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emilio_Lussu

‘Is there anybody there?’ said the Traveller,

Knocking on the moonlit door;

And his horse in the silence champed the grasses

Of the forest’s ferny floor:

And a bird flew up out of the turret,

Above the Traveller’s head:

And he smote upon the door again a second time;

‘Is there anybody there?’ he said...

Walter de La Mare

‘Is there anybody there?’ said the Traveller,

Knocking on the moonlit door;

And his horse in the silence champed the grasses

Of the forest’s ferny floor:

And a bird flew up out of the turret,

Above the Traveller’s head:

And he smote upon the door again a second time;

‘Is there anybody there?’ he said...

Walter de La Mare

"It is I, Leclerc!"post-95959-0-84730700-1436805457_thumb.j

Here`s someone I came across as usual, whilst looking for someone else.

Not well known as such, but a very outstanding and distinguished medical father, who was made a "Sir" in 1919.

Interestingly. His father used his influence to gain him a commission, despite his son`s poor eyesight, and he was subsequently killed as a result. This left him wracked in anguish and guilt, just like Mr. Kipling.EDIT:Mr. Conan-Doyle.post-95959-0-55974700-1436805867_thumb.j

• Admin

Kingsley Conan Doyle?

Kingsley Conan Doyle?

Sorry Michelle. I must have been having one of my elderly moments when I mentioned Kipling. I mean`t to say Conan-Doyle and not Kipling of course, and will edit my post accordingly.

So it`s the same story for both sons. Both had poor eyesight, but were given commissions due to their influential fathers. Both were killed. My man at Passchendaele.

We are more familiar with Conan-Doyle, but similarly, my man will no doubt be found via his famous medical father.

"Father" is a very telling clue too......(And not in any religious role.)

A good one.

His father who was was one of the greats in his field, and was indeed a "Father" of something else, once said:

"Listen to your patient, he is telling you what is the matter with him!"

Or words to that effect.

And had "Nodes" named after him.

From Dai's clue I come to Edward Revere Osler,

Correctly so. Son of the "Father of modern medicine." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Osler

A good one.

His father who was was one of the greats in his field, and was indeed a "Father" of something else, once said:

"Listen to your patient, he is telling you what is the matter with him!"

Or words to that effect.

And had "Nodes" named after him.

Well sussed, Dai.