The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

De Gaulle; Fuller; Guderian; this chap. Who is he ? ? ?

General Ambrosio?

Not at all confident in my last guess, so whilst I pursue other possible candidates, I thought you might like one to have a go at.

Obviously a naval man, but with a brace of links to the underworld.post-95959-0-64431000-1436815407_thumb.j

Not at all confident in my last guess, so whilst I pursue other possible candidates, I thought you might like one to have a go at.

Obviously a naval man, but with a brace of links to the underworld.attachicon.gifrs.jpg

Is this Godfrey Herbert? His links to the "underworld" - (1) submarines; (2) allegations of war crimes.

Armando Diaz?

Is this Godfrey Herbert? His links to the "underworld" - (1) submarines; (2) allegations of war crimes.

No, not Herbert. Born in Ireland. You have one of his links.

Sorry, não. He's wearing a French uniform, but he was not French.

Shows you how cr@p I am at uniforms. I was guessing Italian, when in fact he is a non-Frenchie wearing a French uniform. Did he fight with the French? (Or should I say in the French army)

Hew Stoker?

Not Stoker either, but you certainly have the first link to the underworld nailed. The second link will help, and that in itself, is linked to Russia.

Correctly so. Son of the "Father of modern medicine." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Osler

Well sussed, Dai.

Sir William Osler, a name that used to be ingrained in every medical student's head.

By i) meticulous questioning of the patient, followed by ii) examination and iii) special investigation, concluded that the diagnosis was obtained 95% of the time by i), 3% by ii) and 2% of the time by iii).

If only the NHS would remember his words today, it could save itself an awfully large amount of money.

Shows you how cr@p I am at uniforms. I was guessing Italian, when in fact he is a non-Frenchie wearing a French uniform. Did he fight with the French? (Or should I say in the French army)

Not Stoker either, but you certainly have the first link to the underworld nailed. The second link will help, and that in itself, is linked to Russia.

Yes, he fought in the French army.

Blimey, I thought with the Underworld clue, and the name 'Stoker', I was sure I'd cracked it.

Are we talking tanks?

Yes. Yes we are.

To do with the E18? She disappeared with all hands, who were awarded posthumous medals by the Tsar.

To do with the E18? She disappeared with all hands, who were awarded posthumous medals by the Tsar.

No, you`re going off track. Intelligence is the by-word.

Is #2929 Salazar?

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr, on 13 Jul 2015 - 9:12 PM, said:snapback.png

Are we talking tanks?

Yes. Yes we are.

Well there endeth the limit of my knowledge about tanks :(

Is #2929 Salazar?

Again, não. Which as you know is Portuguese for 'no'. But my chap was not Portuguese. Not French, not Portuguese. Who can he be?

No, you`re going off track. Intelligence is the by-word.

Is he Commodore Fred Young RNR, he of the 'Tin Openers', the Admiralty Salvage Section? Which 'salvage' was, in fact, Intelligence gathering.

I'm guessing, probably incorrectly, that his country of origin was more of a "bit player" in the conflict?

Is he Commodore Fred Young RNR, he of the 'Tin Openers', the Admiralty Salvage Section? Which 'salvage' was, in fact, Intelligence gathering.

Not him either I`m afraid, though I must say thanks for bringing the "Tin-openers" to my attention. Very interesting, and something I was unaware of. You are so close to him now.

How can I help further??? He was a British Royal Navy commander. Met a gruesome end in Russia.

I'm guessing, probably incorrectly, that his country of origin was more of a "bit player" in the conflict?

His country was neutral until 1917, when, in a familiar way, it was provoked into the War by the sinking of its merchant ships by U-Boats.

Thanks for the link. I`ve just downloaded it. Fascinating stuff.