The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Maybe King Constantine 1st of Greece, looks a bit like him, I am useless at ceremonial uniforms. This search has improved my knowledge of the Balkans though.

khaki

You`re very close indeed now. Absolutely in the right neck of the woods.

His countrymen were unable to find him in order to carry out his death sentence, and he died on the run in Bavaria.

During WW1 he was minister for war, as well as being commander in chief.

Lets try Nikola Zhekov of Bulgaria,

khaki

Top marks, khaki. 2 out of 2. Excellent work. Zhekov it is. Thoroughly bad egg. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Zhekov

Thanks, the second guy was a bit of a struggle for me,

khaki

Khaki, nice one. Just think, after all the research you've had to do when early 20th century Balkan leaders comes up you will be the go to guy.

Perhaps the assembled throng could consider this man.

post-101238-0-52551300-1437502168_thumb.

Pete.

Khaki, the closest he got to the Balkans was the other side of the Adriatic, close but no cigar as they say. Medical amongst other things is all I'm going to say at this stage.

Pete.

Could it be Dr. Giulio Andreini?

NF and Uncle, my man in post in 2983 was an eminent Englishman in two different fields, one of which was surgery, but he combined both in the war, and left a legacy that has resurfaced relatively recently.

Pete.

NF and Uncle, my man in post in 2983 was an eminent Englishman in two different fields, one of which was surgery, but he combined both in the war, and left a legacy that has resurfaced relatively recently.

Pete.

Henry Tonks

(I cheated)

Is it Sir Henry Tonks?

EDIT>I see that I have been pipped again. Tonks trained as a surgeon but chose to follow a career as an artist. He encouraged students to combine anatomical study with an appreciation of what he called the "poetry" of drawing.

P.S. Well played IPT.

Edited by neverforget

Good one Pete. Give us another. I was about to post Fortunino Matania, but a quick check on the W.I.T. spreadsheet showed me that he had already been posted by our illustrious, and far too long absent friend and statistician. (I do hope all is well.)

If I tell you that this is a surefire one to be solved quickly, it will probably be the kiss of death, but there you go. Who is this???post-95959-0-33555500-1437511761_thumb.j

EDIT> Inventor.

Edited by neverforget

Chums, Henry Tonks it is. IPT from NF by a short head, however the stewards will have to enquire as to the nature of IPT's self confessed transgression. A fascinating man, Tonks that is although I am sure the word applies equally to IPT. His pictures of men with head and face injuries have an appalling fascination which really bring home the reality of the word wounded. Paxo used them to good effect in his documentary on the Great War.

Pete.

I'm glad #2983 has been solved.

I was going to say it was this gentleman:

William Henry Pratt (1887-1969)

(They do look similar!)

post-109762-0-10979400-1437518537_thumb.

They certainly do. And a touch of the "Lurch" about both of them.

#2991: Born in New England, U.S.A. Died in France, around twenty years before WW1. Inventor/engineer.

It would seem that my expectation of another quick-fire round was the kiss of death after all.

His "product" was widely used in WW1, but especially by the French, and the Americans.

His "product" was widely used in WW1, but especially by the French, and the Americans.

I guessed he was the inventor of a prophylactic. But no. Apparently the USA was the only country with soldiers in Europe that did not provide condoms and promote their use. America's preferred method - abstinence.

post-108430-0-70724200-1437563116_thumb.

I like the lateral thinking, but his product was very much something with which to make war, not love. I.E. a weapon.

Very noble of Surgeon Sage to pass on the wisdom of his experience. I wonder how successful the preferred American method proved to be.

The last two posts by khaki and Dai

tell the whole tale of this guy.

Would this be Benjamin Hotchkiss by any chance?

Would this be Benjamin Hotchkiss by any chance?

Indeed it would, Pete. Well played. Maker/inventor of the Hodgkiss machine gun, favoured by the French and Americans. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_B._Hotchkiss