The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

The photo in post 3022 is of a vice-admiral. That rules out Freyberg.

It is in fact Hedworth Meux.

Ron

"This man was involved in one of the celebrated deception operations of the War". ??

RodB

I think this refers to the Q-ships, disguised as ordinary merchant ships to entice U-boats to the surface to sink them, and then uncovering concealed guns with RN crews to sink the U-boats.

Ron

RodB

I think this refers to the Q-ships, disguised as ordinary merchant ships to entice U-boats to the surface to sink them, and then uncovering concealed guns with RN crews to sink the U-boats.

Ron

Yes - see page 5 of the link in post #3028.

Drat! I bin looking at WW1 deceptions.

Still, I did find some camouflaged ships (Norman Wilkinson) but I was way off track.

Well solved Ron.

RodB

Ron

Thanks for enlightening me on that. Wikipedia article claims that Q-ships were relative failures on basis of submarines destroyed in return for investment in men and money. Accurate ? I realize we also need to consider deterrence and other factors - did these vessels lead to U-boat commanders avoiding risks and hence making fewer attacks ? I'm thinking of AA fire which was used to deny airspace to an enemy and force him to fly defensively as well as just shooting him down : so its effectiveness is measured in terms of reduced effectiveness of bombing and strafing rather than just numbers shot down.

Who knows this lady???post-95959-0-92422400-1438081167_thumb.j

Twice mentioned in dispatches for gallantry.

Author.

O.K. A further hint for #3034:

Served with distinction at the front for the duration.

Her books are her record of the same.

There are ladies on this forum who would know her at a glance. Indeed, one of them has "enlightened" us with a glowing review of one of her books.

No,but she is a sister something.

One of a very few sisters to be so highly decorated.

R.R.C. and bar.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to wrap this one up I think, before the thread sinks into the abyss.

She is Sister Kate Luard. http://kateluard.co.uk/about-kate-luard

Responsible for two books; ‘Diary of a Nursing Sister on the Western Front 1914-1915’. This received ecstatic reviews:

‘It is the most vivid and the most painful description of life and death at the Front that has been printed, and at the same time the most buoyantly cheerful. It is a thrilling story, written evidently without exaggeration……a trained nurse has jotted down in this diary a story of suffering and brave endurance which cannot be read unmoved’.
‘This little collection of letters written home with never a thought of publication, is worth dozens of more pretentious war-books’.
And "Unknown Warriors" about which Field-Marshal Viscount Allenby said ‘It is a tale of heroism, modestly told, but unsurpassed in interest by any War novel yet written’ Also reviewed here by our own Sue Light http://kateluard.co.uk/

Well I`m blowed. No action for a week, and then two posts almost simultaneously! :blink:

Well done Uncle George. Got there just in time with the correct answer.

• 2 weeks later...

This chap was a maverick/visionary, who`s intuitions, particularly in gunnery, were more often than not proved correct.

post-95959-0-25172700-1440060899_thumb.p

This chap was a maverick/visionary, who`s intuitions, particularly in gunnery, were more often than not proved correct.

attachicon.gifsa.png

Admiral Percy Scott, he of the improvised naval guns on field carriages in the Boer War and Great War ? AA defence organizer, aircraft-carrier proponent, etc. etc...

Admiral Percy Scott, he of the improvised naval guns on field carriages in the Boer War and Great War ? AA defence organizer, aircraft-carrier proponent, etc. etc...

Etc. etc. is right as well!

One of the Great War greats I.M.H.O. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Scott

Well sussed RodB.

This bloke (getting his fag lit in 1928) fought in the infantry, decided he'd rather fly, flew a SPAD and shot down four German aircraft before getting wounded and shot down and ending the war as a trainer. Postwar he had a short happy life and did it all - barnstoming, records, entrepreneur, honours etc, until..

.whohe.jpg

Charles Kingsford Smith

indeed it is. he also has the unique record of turning his back on a king with the king's permission - he was on crutches for his award.

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding references made to Grace Darling Seibold (who founded the ‘Gold Star Mothers) … thought I would share this ....

post-5774-0-26056300-1442231485_thumb.jp

It was I who put her up for identification, so thanks for sharing that with us. I remember being quite moved when I read her story, which I stumbled across via her son. An outstandingly dedicated lady.

Which is how I would describe this next candidate; post-95959-0-78143900-1442241415_thumb.j who had a close association with these four soldiers:post-95959-0-99521000-1442241392_thumb.j

Can you fill in the details???

Books, films, plays and television programmes have been made on the subject.

A monument has been erected in memory of them, and their example.

Those are the Four Corporals of Suippes. Not sure who the lady is though.

Quite right, Mr. Drill. They are indeed the four Corporals of Suippes. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affaire_des_caporaux_de_Souain

You could say that the lady in question fought their corner.

So this would be Eulalie Lechat, the sister.

Pete.

P.S. Good to see a little flicker in the old thread and nice to have our chief of men back. Good choice of subject Mr Plumb.

P.P.S. And I should have added that the original incident is cited as the inspiration for Stanley Kubrick's "Paths of Glory".