The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

So this would be Eulalie Lechat, the sister.

Pete.

P.S. Good to see a little flicker in the old thread and nice to have our chief of men back. Good choice of subject Mr Plumb.

P.P.S. And I should have added that the original incident is cited as the inspiration for Stanley Kubrick's "Paths of Glory".

Well I never. It`s not Eulalie Lechat Pete, :) but you are so close as she is directly related to one of them. She took on the cause for all of them, which resulted in a long long struggle for her, but she was finally successful in getting them all exonerated after taking their case to the League of Human Rights.

It`s good to see both Stoppy and yourself bringing a bit of celebrity back to the thread that refuses to die. :thumbsup:

It would be so nice to see our other absent friends too, particularly David, as in his case, it`s been a worryingly long time.

• 2 weeks later...
Nicely tidied up, Uncle George. Blanche Maupas it is.

Henry Hall (with the specs) and his vocalist Les Allen, I think ?

Here's to the next time !

Once Mr B finds out The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band covered him, he'll be straight in here with a Youtube video.

Not Les Allen (but I see that they do look similar). No, IPT has him: Leslie Sarony, singer, songwriter, star of film, stage and television. During the GW he served with the London Scottish and the RAMC and was awarded the Silver War Badge.

I remember him as one of two actors who played Uncle Staveley in the 70s sitcom 'I Didn't Know You Cared'. Uncle Staveley was always to be seen wearing an Army greatcoat and carrying a cardboard box strung around his neck. Inside this box were the ashes of his Pal from the Great War, Corporal Parkinson. "He was my Oppo", Staveley would wistfully explain.

What an extraordinary thing, when we think about it: in a mainstream BBC sitcom, a seemingly traumatised GW veteran who carried the ashes of his Pal around in a cardboard box.

Not Les Allen (but I see that they do look similar). No, IPT has him: Leslie Sarony, singer, songwriter, star of film, stage and television. During the GW he served with the London Scottish and the RAMC and was awarded the Silver War Badge.

I remember him as one of two actors who played Uncle Staveley in the 70s sitcom 'I Didn't Know You Cared'. Uncle Staveley was always to be seen wearing an Army greatcoat and carrying a cardboard box strung around his neck. Inside this box were the ashes of his Pal from the Great War, Corporal Parkinson. "He was my Oppo", he would wistfully explain.

What an extraordinary thing, when we think about it: in a mainstream BBC sitcom, a seemingly traumatised GW veteran who carried the ashes of his Pal around in a cardboard box.

Excellent addition Uncle. I'd completely forgotten about Uncle Staveley, althought I immediately got the catchphrase I couldn't make the connection. 'I Didn't Know You Cared' was a work of genius; as were the books by Peter Tinniswood. Much of it bordered on the surreal; and I always loved the language used, like Pat describing a mathematician as a 'Professor of Hard Sums'.

Pete.

One of my favourite quotes was Uncle Mort describing what Heaven would be like:

"There'll be Rugby League - wi'out Eddie Waring - and open-topped trams."

Ron

Shall we have another?post-95959-0-54564800-1443206634_thumb.j

This Scottish gentleman was decorated in the Boer war, and at the outbreak of WW1 was reputedly more clued up than anyone on tactical intelligence, etc.

A very prominent figure in the G.W. Many notable "firsts" throughout his career.

His son was in the R.F.C. and was killed in 1918.

Shall we have another?attachicon.giffb.jpg

This Scottish gentleman was decorated in the Boer war, and at the outbreak of WW1 was reputedly more clued up than anyone on tactical intelligence, etc.

A very prominent figure in the G.W. Many notable "firsts" throughout his career.

His son was in the R.F.C. and was killed in 1918.

Is he David Henderson, author of 'Field Intelligence - Its Principals and Practice'?

Is he David Henderson, author of 'Field Intelligence - Its Principals and Practice'?

Well spotted Uncle George. Sir David Henderson is correct. Unfortunately I'm stuck at work with only my phone, and consequently can't post his Wikipedia link as I usually would, but briefly; he was Senior leader of British military aviation. Commander of R.F.C. Instrumental in setting up R.A.F. He was the first Director General of the League of Red Cross Societies.
Learned to fly at aged 49 making him the world's oldest pilot at the time.
Briefly commanded 1st British Infantry Division.
Hailed as the true "Father of the R.A.F. (Even by Trenchard).
Will post a link this evening when I get home from work before I settle down to watch England beat lose to Wales. ;)

EDIT: I`m still smarting, but fair play to Wales. That was an inspired comeback.

Edited by neverforget

Staying with fliers; here`s a character I hope you will find interesting. In contrast to my last highly prominent WW1 pilot, this chap is not so well known, (and here come the clues); but that`s the way he would have wanted it, flying mainly by night as he did.

Spent many weeks on the run behind enemy lines, despite speaking neither German or French.

Scored a home run.

Who is he???post-95959-0-45515400-1443289947_thumb.j

Is he Caspar Kennard, RFC?

He isn`t Kennard. In fact, he was never a prisoner.

At aged 19, his job was to ferry spies across, and then land behind enemy lines in order to drop them off.

Whilst doing so his engine died, his spy quickly deserted him, and he was consequently stuck alone in occupied territory unable to speak either French or German.

He managed to get home after three months, and made the best of his time behind the lines by gathering useful intelligence and information, which he passed on after getting back.

Several times he took the chance with likely looking civilians, disclosing to them the fact that he was an English officer on the run, and asking if they would be willing to help him. In all cases they agreed, and he managed to evade capture.

Awarded the D.S.O.

Retired after WW1 as Squadron Leader.

Reinstated for WW2 as Wing Commander.

Is he Captain T.W. Mulcahy-Morgan ?

Sorry U.George, good try but not him either.

This is a tough one indeed, hence the hat full of clues. He was born in Sunderland, and died in 1942.

In addition to his DSO, he was also awarded the MC for zeppelin busting.

This is a tough one indeed, hence the hat full of clues. He was born in Sunderland, and died in 1942.

In addition to his DSO, he was also awarded the MC for zeppelin busting.

He is Claude Ridley.

No idea who he is but it's a striking picture. Looks to me like it might be a movie-still?

I shall reveal the answer to mine when I get home this evening if you haven't found him by then.

ame="neverforget" post="2312433" timestamp="1443435276"]

He is Claude Ridley.

Hallelujah! Well found UG. That wasn't an easy one.
http://www.sunderlandfirstworldwar.co.uk/ClaudeAlwardRidley.html