The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

No idea who he is but it's a striking picture. Looks to me like it might be a movie-still?

A movie-still indeed; but the actor was a GW veteran who had an admirable post-war career.

A movie-still indeed; but the actor was a GW veteran who had an admirable post-war career.

Is it Nigel Bruce? (Dr.Watson)

Is it Nigel Bruce? (Dr.Watson)

Not him, no. Don't let the uniform give you the wrong idea.

It's not Gary Cooper playing Alvin York is it?

Colin Clive?

Could it be Béla Ferenc Dezső Blaskó by any chance? Better known as Bela Lugosi.......

Pete.

It's Lee van Cleef

Mike

No. It isn't. Lee van Cleef did not serve at the Battle of Warsaw. Pete was skirting around the right answer when he guessed Bela Lugosi: my chap was in 'The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari'. He was also in 'Casablanca'.

Is it Hans Walter Conrad Veidt?

If it is, I see what you mean about having an admirable post-war career.

Is it Hans Walter Conrad Veidt?

If it is, I see what you mean about having an admirable post-war career.

Yes! Well done, General Plumb. He starred in the German language version of 'Journey's End', 'Die andere Seite', before, married to a Jewish woman and opposed to the Nazis, he emigrated and continued his career in Hollywood.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conrad_Veidt

Yes! Well done, General Plumb. He starred in the German language version of 'Journey's End', 'Die andere Seite', before, married to a Jewish woman and opposed to the Nazis, he emigrated and continued his career in Hollywood.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conrad_Veidt

I remember him well from an early Powell and Pressburger set in the Orkneys.

RM

I' m not sure if we have had him before.

A press cutting of a pilot at his wedding.

Bonus if you can get the bride's brother, also a pilot.

RM.

post-98084-0-27723800-1443465575_thumb.j

No. It isn't. Lee van Cleef did not serve at the Battle of Warsaw. Pete was skirting around the right answer when he guessed Bela Lugosi: my chap was in 'The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari'. He was also in 'Casablanca'.

So when Bogart as Rick shoots Veidt as Major Strasser and Claude Rains as Louis Renault utters the immortal line "Major Strasser has been shot..................round up the usual suspects" you have the US Navy, the German army and the British army through the London Scottish represented. Good one.

Pete.

So when Bogart as Rick shoots Veidt as Major Strasser and Claude Rains as Louis Renault utters the immortal line "Major Strasser has been shot..................round up the usual suspects" you have the US Navy, the German army and the British army through the London Scottish represented. Good one.

Pete.

"I have been in every gambling room between Honolulu and Berlin, and if you think I'm going to be kept out of a saloon like this, you're very much mistaken." Gregory Gaye served in the Imperial Russian Navy.

The cast list for Casablancais impressive as it includes several German,Austria-Hungary, French & other European citizens who had escaped the Nazis and fled to America- Peter Lorre, Paul Henreid, Curt Bois, S. K. Sakall, Helmut Dantine, Marcel Dalio and many many more.

I' m not sure if we have had him before.

A press cutting of a pilot at his wedding.

Bonus if you can get the bride's brother, also a pilot.

RM.

Is he Billy Bishop VC? His brother-in-law was Henry Burden DSO, DFC.

Is he Billy Bishop VC? His brother-in-law was Henry Burden DSO, DFC.

Alas no. My man's brother in law was much less famous.