The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Archie Christie - and Agatha ?

No. An interesting try.

It's rather an odd wedding photo. The bride is wearing an overcoat with fur collar and cuffs and a bridal veil. A cold winter wedding?

No. An interesting try.

It's rather an odd wedding photo. The bride is wearing an overcoat with fur collar and cuffs and a bridal veil. A cold winter wedding?

Is it Wilfred Rippon Snow?

Is it Wilfred Rippon Snow?

No.

The wedding was a relatively subdued affair as the bride's brother had been killed less than three months earlier. The subject was certainly a pilot, but not an ace. Quite well known though.

No.

The wedding was a relatively subdued affair as the bride's brother had been killed less than three months earlier. The subject was certainly a pilot, but not an ace. Quite well known though.

More clues?

The very high forehead was quite distinctive (though not with his cap on!) although he was only in his mid 30s. I was a little surprised to see that he was wearing RFC uniform not his original regiment, but he had been in the RFC for some time.

More clues?

The very high forehead was quite distinctive (though not with his cap on!) although he was only in his mid 30s. I was a little surprised to see that he was wearing RFC uniform not his original regiment, but he had been in the RFC for some time.

Maurice Hankey. Fisher: "He has a large forehead bulging with brains. He has been created by God Almighty for the express discomfiture of Kaiser William II."

Maurice Hankey. Fisher: "He has a large forehead bulging with brains. He has been created by God Almighty for the express discomfiture of Kaiser William II."

Interesting. No.

I suspect my use of high forehead was more euphemistic.

I think Hankey was ex-Royal Marines anyway. I'm certainly unaware of any RFC connection for him.

Ron

Interesting. No.

I suspect my use of high forehead was more euphemistic.

Euphemistic? I'm not following you here at all. He DOES have a high forehead. In fact, he has the hairline of Sir Frederick Sykes, RFC big cheese, Wilson's deputy on the Supreme War Council, and later Air Vice Marshal. But the other clues don't really match: Sykes married the daughter of Bonar Law.

Euphemistic? I'm not following you here at all. He DOES have a high forehead. In fact, he has the hairline of Sir Frederick Sykes, RFC big cheese, Wilson's deputy on the Supreme War Council, and later Air Vice Marshal. But the other clues don't really match: Sykes married the daughter of Bonar Law.

Euphemistic for receding hairline or going bald. Not Sykes.

How very odd. Bonar Law went to my old school as did Campbell Bannerman. The bride was related to Campbell Bannerman which will probably not help you.

Does it help if I tell you that the wedding was in December 1915?

I don't think it will help but this is the bride's brother from a newspaper dated 13 September 1915.

RM

post-98084-0-58048600-1443723597_thumb.j

Another clue (to the bridegroom, not the deceased brother): Commissioned in the Sherwood Foresters (from the militia, I believe).

Reginald Lowe?

Reginald Lowe?

No.

Two clues:

Notice the medals he is wearing in December 1915.

Not an ace, he was an early squadron commander (he had commanded two squadrons by the end of 1915).

John Becke?

Well done!

John Harold Whitworth Becke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Becke

The moustache and receding hairline are very noticeable in the early pictures. He seems to be wearing a cap in later photos.

The wedding was at Careston in Angus in early December 1915.

Can anyone get his bride's deceased brother? The picture in #3114 was included in the report of his death.

William Adamson.

Well done!

John Becke married Anne Peto Adamson in December 1915.

William Campbell Adamson was killed on 5 September 1915.

William Campbell and Anne Peto were the only (surviving?) children of William Shaw Adamson of Careston Castle. Henry Campbell Bannerman was a maternal great uncle. (He was actually Henry Campbell, but he added his mother's surname.

There is a memorial window to William in Careston parish church.

RM

• 3 weeks later...

No movement on this thread since 2nd October? Is this long island history of ours to end at last? Let it end only when each one of us, etc.

Who might this be ? ? ?

post-108430-0-90146300-1445345997_thumb.

No movement on this thread since 2nd October? Is this long island history of ours to end at last? Let it end only when each one of us, etc.

Hear hear! Well said, Uncle George.

I`ve been guilty of being lured away recently by the "Ancestry for a quid" period, but always have more than one eye on this thread.

Unfortunately, I`m on my second of four nightshifts tonight, so can only keep in touch by phone for the next day or two, but I`ve a candidate or two lined up for when I`ve finished my limited participation.

As for your chap; I don`t recognise him, but will start the ball rolling by suggesting that he looks to me like a possible V.C. winner?

Hear hear! Well said, Uncle George.

I`ve been guilty of being lured away recently by the "Ancestry for a quid" period, but always have more than one eye on this thread.

Unfortunately, I`m on my second of four nightshifts tonight, so can only keep in touch by phone for the next day or two, but I`ve a candidate or two lined up for when I`ve finished my limited participation.

As for your chap; I don`t recognise him, but will start the ball rolling by suggesting that he looks to me like a possible V.C. winner?

Sorry NF, no. He would not have been eligible for a VC.

Unlikely to be a VC winner, as he looks more like a US Navy man.

(UG beat me to it.)

Ron

Unlikely to be a VC winner, as he looks more like a US Navy man.

(UG beat me to it.)

Ron

Yes he does look like that, doesn't he. But no; not really.

Not really but sort of?