The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Well, you know that the recent developing theme is other than 'Welsh'. That must narrow things down a little!

A concientious objector ?

As for the immortal T G he is venerated amongst the club's historians, especially by me as he was my father's all time hero,

Well well!

Tommy retired from managing and then kept a newsagents in Garth, Bangor for many years.

Water?

A Naval Man?

Doesn't look like a sailor.

Water supplies - it had been thought that every soldier and horse would require ten gallons per day.

I've found a couple of possibilities here, so I'll try Captain W.B.R.King first.

Probably a mile off track as usual, but I hope you'll agree,an interesting article nonetheless, and something else that I've learned due to this thread.

http://southwesterngis.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/before-gis-water-supplies-and-western.html?m=1

I've found a couple of possibilities here, so I'll try Captain W.B.R.King first.

Probably a mile off track as usual, but I hope you'll agree,an interesting article nonetheless, and something else that I've learned due to this thread.

http://southwesterngis.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/before-gis-water-supplies-and-western.html?m=1

Yes indeed. In addition to this work on the supply of water, as a geologist he advised on where trenches might be constructed to avoid infill of water. In the Second war he was awarded the MC and advised on prospective airfield sites, and on the Normandy landings.

https://camunivmuseums.wordpress.com/2014/03/06/military-geology/

Well done NF: I thought this one would last for some considerable time!

Jammy git.

I felt sure that due to sod's law, it would be the other chap, David, whom I had lined up for my second guess. (I felt even more sure that it would be neither of them to be honest.)

Very interesting subject that I hadn't given more than a flicker of thought to before.

Jammy git.

I felt sure that due to sod's law, it would be the other chap, David, whom I had lined up for my second guess. (I felt even more sure that it would be neither of them to be honest.)

Very interesting subject that I hadn't given more than a flicker of thought to before.

Edgeworth David has already featured, on the old WiT? thread. But yes, a very interesting subject.

Well known conchie. Well known grandson.

Famous last words, but I`m sure someone will know him straight away.post-95959-0-73947800-1445618261_thumb.j

EDIT:

Apologies, old boy. Didn`t know you were posting. Oh well, not the first time we`ve had two on the go.

Edited, post now contains the correct picture :blush:

Edited by neverforget

Oh Gawd. I think I may have cropped the wrong fellow!

I think you know the answer Dai, so please spare my blushes and name the unseen.

Cheers Dai. We still have U.G`s of course, which I have to confess has me stumped so far.

EDIT:

I`ll take a shot with Admiral of the Fleet Lord Chatfield?

Edited by neverforget

Well known conchie. Well known grandson.

Famous last words, but I`m sure someone will know him straight away.attachicon.gifmj2.JPG

EDIT:

Apologies, old boy. Didn`t know you were posting. Oh well, not the first time we`ve had two on the go.

Edited, post now contains the correct picture :blush:

Herbert Morrison? Grandfather of the Prince of Darkness.

My chap is not Naval. I would guess the uniform is Privy Council. Remember, I have a theme of sorts in operation...

Herbert Morrison? Grandfather of the Prince of Darkness.

My chap is not Naval. I would guess the uniform is Privy Council. Remember, I have a theme of sorts in operation...

Herbert Morrison is correct. The Suburban Stalin. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2831532/Pictured-Peter-Mandelson-s-grandfather-known-suburban-Stalin-commune-beardy-weirdy-conscientious-objectors-WW1.html

As regards your clue; I still have water on the brain.

And are we still on the theme of water?

William King was involved in a number of things, one of which was the supply of water. The chap in #3162 was also to do with supply ...

Good one NF. Herbert Morrison was the subject of one of my favourite political quotes, by Ernie Bevin; somebody said to him that Morrison was his own worst enemy to which Ernie replied in his broad Zummerzet tones "not while I'm alive he aint". The subject of Bevin's quip is sometimes said to be Nye Bevan but this is not the case.

Pete

Supply.

Not water, or munitions, but food.

It is the Viscount Devonport who was one time Minister of Food Control during the Great War.

Here`s another supply link:post-95959-0-63377500-1445634899_thumb.j

They drew crowds of up to 53000

Could this be Dick, Kerr Ladies football team NF?

Pete.

Could this be Dick, Kerr Ladies football team NF?

Pete.

I fancied you for this one, Pete, as for one thing, the 53000 crowd they drew was at Goodison park. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick,_Kerr%27s_Ladies_F.C.

Lily Parr played for them, and I loved this description of her; "While playing for the Dick, Kerr's Ladies she was noted for her large appetite and almost constant smoking of Woodbine cigarettes."

She sounds like she was a bit special https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily_Parr

Fair play to them. They did their bit for the war effort. Ended up being banned for their troubles.