The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

One last offering before I start my next 4 day stint of work.

Who recognises this chap???post-95959-0-40164100-1445881003_thumb.j

You all know him.

EDIT>

If you need clues; "hard guy who was best friends with a test pilot."

Another pointer might be the Nuremberg trials.

Edited by neverforget

Heavily involved with the woman of the year, and a guy named Joe.

Bit of a Jekyl and Hyde character.

Yes I have him.

I'm on a bit of a roll at the moment

But it would be greedy to name another one so soon.

I'm rather busy myself, we have a guest coming for supper.

I can't guess who that might be.

It's been a hoot, but I think we're on the last mile with this father of the bride. Time to send him up the river so we can move on.

Indeed. In fact; once you know it's him, when you look at the picture he is immediately recognisable. I'm surprised someone didn't instantly spot him.
(My dear old dad's favourite actor by the way) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_Tracy

Indeed. In fact; once you know it's him, when you look at the picture he is immediately recognisable. I'm surprised someone didn't instantly spot him.

(My dear old dad's favourite actor by the way)

I did just that.

I looked at him and thought "He looks like Spencer Tracy".

I initially dismissed the thought as I convinced myself that an actor of that era couldn't possibly have a link to the Great War.

How wrong!

Good one NF!

That`s put you on a hat-trick, Dai.

All you need now is to convert this fellow before anyone else:post-95959-0-44424300-1446063227_thumb.j

Did I mention that he is Welsh?

Or a try at least.

Royal Fusilier with both Oxford and Cambridge on his C.V.

Welsh he is, but for the hat trick to be relevant add ten.

That sounds about right U.G.

Sadly killed leading his battalion on the first day of Loos aged 59. Oldest of the unlucky 13 Welsh rugby internationals K.I.A.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Garnons_Williams

Been looking into this one between jobs at work but can't suss it as yet.

It's a tough one I agree. It's to do with Williams' debut international.

Edit: No it isn't, I've misled you on that one, the link is slightly more tenuous.

This is the answer,

Williams played once for Wales in February 1881, in what was Wales' first ever international match, an 8 try defeat against England.

By the time Wales played their next match, a year later in February 1882, away in Ireland, they only retained 4 players, and awarded 11 new caps.

Williams never played again, but one of the debutants was this fellow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Vincent

Hugh Vincent was a Caernarfonshire solicitor, and by the time of the Great War, was into local politics, and was a prominent Tory.

He was on the Military Tribunal that dismissed Ben Meyrick(Post 3135)'s claim of being a conscientious objector.

Vincent is buried at Llanfairpwllgwyngyll Parish Church, Anglesey, his overgrown grave only rediscovered a few years ago by local historians.

(Apologies, I initially thought that both Williams & Vincent played in the first ever Welsh XV.)

No worries. I might have got it if they were both players, but I was looking more at the possible religious links so I was way off track anyway. Still, it all keeps the old grey matter ticking over.

Still stuck at work so can't post any candidates at the moment, but back in the game proper tomorrow.

Still on the theme of supply. Who is the chap on the right ? ? ?

A big bonus if anyone knows the identity of the chap on the left. The caption of the photograph has him as an "unidentified Lieutenant General". Is he Sir Sidney Seldon Long? Probably not.

post-108430-0-33167000-1446204247_thumb.

Wild guess: Colonel W. C. Gorgas?(No idea who the other chap is either.)

Wild guess: Colonel W. C. Gorgas?

No. Ll.G describes him thus:

" ... a large, rather ungainly, awkward and weather-beaten man with a stolid face and shrewd eyes. He did not in the least resemble my idea of a Staff General. He had rather the visage and demeanour of a successful corn merchant in an agricultural town."

Who's account of 22nd August 1914 might this be???

"We marched through Luxembourg and crossed the Belgian border near Arlon.
As I came to the edge of the forest south of Etalle, I spotted a troop of French Dragoons. I only had fifteen men with me.
The enemy troop disappeared and I led my men forward to determine where the French had gone.
Just as I put the field glasses to my eye a volley of fire cracked out from the edge of the forest about fifty metres away. There were about two hundred to two hundred and fifty French riflemen over there.
I bought only four men back. It was really a miracle that nothing happened to me or my horse".

Who's account of 22nd August 1914 might this be???

"We marched through Luxembourg and crossed the Belgian border near Arlon.

As I came to the edge of the forest south of Etalle, I spotted a troop of French Dragoons. I only had fifteen men with me.

The enemy troop disappeared and I led my men forward to determine where the French had gone.

Just as I put the field glasses to my eye a volley of fire cracked out from the edge of the forest about fifty meters away. There were about two hundred to two hundred and fifty French riflemen over there.

I bought only four men back. It was really a miracle that nothing happened to me or my horse".

Rommel?