The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

John Sumner?

Not Huntley or Palmer either.

Correct.

Well done UG.

The ASC wasn't just there for the bad things in life like guns and ammunition, but delivered rations including rum and cigarettes.

Preserves, most of which was stolen by the Jam Stealers of the ASC, if you believe the common lore of the day were a welcome addition to Tommy's daily bread.

I did allude to them in the previous clue.

I spent too much time on the rum :)

Who's going to be first to nail this one I wonder.

"La journee de Versailles. Lunch early and leave the Majestic in a car with ??? He is a historian, yet he dislikes historical occasions. Apart from that he is a sensitive person and does not rejoice in seeing great nations humbled. I, having none of such acquirements or decencies, am just excited.

There are Generals, Petain, Gouraud, Mangin. There are St. Cyrians. Very military and orderly. ??? and I creep out of our car hurriedly. Feeling civilian and grubby and wholly unimportant. We hurry through the door".

Can you also get the author of the account for a bonus?

I spent too much time on the rum :)

Who's going to be first to nail this one I wonder.

"La journee de Versailles. Lunch early and leave the Majestic in a car with ??? He is a historian, yet he dislikes historical occasions. Apart from that he is a sensitive person and does not rejoice in seeing great nations humbled. I, having none of such acquirements or decencies, am just excited.

There are Generals, Petain, Gouraud, Mangin. There are St. Cyrians. Very military and orderly. ??? and I creep out of our car hurriedly. Feeling civilian and grubby and wholly unimportant. We hurry through the door".

Can you also get the author of the account for a bonus?

Harold Nicholson writes of JM Keynes.

Harold Nicholson writes of JM Keynes.

Well done for deducing that it was Nicholson`s account. One bonus point.

However....He was not writing about Keynes.

Not that I knew it before, but my local library, Google Books tells me the excerpt is from Nicolson's diary for June 28th 1919 and he is referring to a chap by the name of " Headlam Motley".

He is I think misnaming Headlam-Morley, (previously James Wycliffe Headlam), a government civil servant heavily involved in drafting the Versailles Treaty.

Here's a Great War soldier, with a great story:

Joined the Middlesex Regiment in 1915.

Badly wounded 1916 near Delville Wood, was in hospital with a GSW to Left thigh.

But survived to tell the tale , and demobbed 1919 or 1920 as an acting Sergeant.

This is one of the few shots of him in civvies.

post-109762-0-68566800-1446638000_thumb.

Not that I knew it before, but my local library, Google Books tells me the excerpt is from Nicolson's diary for June 28th 1919 and he is referring to a chap by the name of " Headlam Motley".

He is I think misnaming Headlam-Morley, (previously James Wycliffe Headlam), a government civil servant heavily involved in drafting the Versailles Treaty.

Morley it is. Well done. Honours even between you and UG.

OK.

No takers so far.

At attestment he was 5'6½" and 10st 11lb.

After his wounding, he left that regiment to take up a post as an instructor at Aldershot.

He was married on November 11th 1918, as was his wife strangely enough.

He re-enlisted in the Royal Engineers (Anti Aircraft Bn, TA) in Kent in 1937, but was discharged as unfit in July 1939 due to diabetes .

He died in 1972.

He is remembered in his home city by having a road named after him , as well as a statue nearby.

He is most famous for something else entirely.

Clues. Enough read? Keener for more to follow?

Robert Winthrop?

Or possibly another member of the group with which he was associated.

Ron

Robert Winthrop?

Or possibly another member of the group with which he was associated.

Ron

Not Robert Winthrop.

(I'm sorry but I'm not sure who he is, or which group he was associated?)

Did I mention that he was Welsh.

And that that he was presented to The King, and Mr. Lloyd George?

Trixie and he were very close.

V.C. recipient?

V.C. recipient?

Not a VC recipient.

As I mentioned before, he is more (most...only?) famous for something else entirely.

Also on a foreign field, but not in wartime.

Did I also mention he was in the 17th (Service) Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment?

Now that's what I call a clue. Stuck at work on nights, so a bit limited but still in the game.

Dai, mentioning the 1st Footballer's battalion lets the cat out of the bag. This must be Fred Keenor, who lifted the FA Cup for Cardiff City in 1927. But where does Trixie come into all this?

Pete.

But where does Trixie come into all this?

Pete.

Ignore that, Trixie was the Cardiff City mascot. Good post Dai.

It is indeed Fred Keenor.

Doesn't his picture just scream out "Professional Athlete"???

This is the uncropped image, which would rather have given the game away.

(I did leave a bit of the bobble on the lid in the original to tantalise!)

Although I thought #3292 was a bit of a giveaway

"Clues. Enough read? Keener for more to follow?

post-109762-0-33010700-1446675759_thumb.

Fred was badly wounded on the Somme in 1916, badly enough to be repatriated.

Spent about 6 weeks in hospital in Dublin and Bray, but never returned to front line service.

What would he have been thinking whilst lying wounded in that battle I wonder?

Pprobably wondering if he was going to die.

Was he going to lose his leg?

Would he ever walk again?

Would he ever play football again?

He might even have dreamt or hallucinated about lifting the FA Cup one day!

Dai, by cooincidence one of my Everton players who served with the 17th Middlesex, John "Jack" Borthwick was wounded in the head in Delville Wood at the same time as Fred. He was repatriated back to hospital in Liverpool where he wrote to his manager at Millwall, the club he was playing for when he enlisted. A quote from the letter "This is worse than a whole season of cup ties" is carved into the Footballer's battalions Memorial at Longueval. Jack recovered and eventually became the landlord of the Winslow pub opposite Goodison Park's main entrance. One of the quotes in the letter puzzled me for a while. Borthwick described running from Delville Wood with one of his Millwall team mates back to the CCS under shellfire saying "Donaldson couldn't have run faster". Donaldson turned out to be Jack Donaldson, an Aussie sprinter who held the 100 yards world record for 38 years. Two years ago I was at Pheasant Wood cemetery in Fromelles when I met an Aussie couple trying to find the grave of a great uncle. I was with a couple of mates and I offered to help look for him. To cut a long story short I guessed that the great uncle wasn't in the cemetery so we took them down to VC Corner, sure enough the great uncle was on the memorial. His name was Frank Donaldson, and he turned out to be the younger brother of Jack Donaldson. Frank has appeared on the forum before thanks to Frev who found a letter that his middle brother Don wrote back to the family describing how Frank died, and I've since posted Jack Donaldson and Jack Borthwick on WIT?. Just a set of cooincidences I suppose.

Pete.