The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

That's Henry Moseley, and what's spooky is that earlier in the week I was referencing the Periodic Table and atomic numbers for another quiz, and it happened that the page I was on was talking about Moseleys Law and that portrait appeared although a bit larger in a lab. Taken me longer to find the book I was looking at, cause I'm watching Thunderbirds!!

No idea about the sci-fi reference though.

John

That's Henry Moseley, and what's spooky is that earlier in the week I was referencing the Periodic Table and atomic numbers for another quiz, and it happened that the page I was on was talking about Moseleys Law and that portrait appeared although a bit larger in a lab. Taken me longer to find the book I was looking at, cause I'm watching Thunderbirds!!

No idea about the sci-fi reference though.

John

John

Bang on of course. Isaac Asimov wrote that "In view of what he [Moseley] might still have accomplished … his death might well have been the most costly single death of the War to mankind generally."

27 years old, a shoo-in for the 1916 Nobel Prize in both Physica and Chemistry goodness knows what he might have done.

His death led to a change in policy whereby notable scientists were not allowed to enlist.

The Germans made a similar change, but in their case it was prominent artists that were withdrawn from the front line. The order went out to recall this chap, but unfortunately arrived a day after he had been killed at Verdun.

post-66715-0-15631800-1458900743_thumb.j

David

As the thread is positively bounding along this morning I should quickly credit Eddie with 1. correctly identifying Cameron Shute and 2. saving me the trouble of typing and bleeping out the 'industrial language' that Alan Herbert used in his poem which immortalised him, but not in a good way.

4080 is Franz Marc unless I'm very much mistaken.

Pete.

NF

Apologies if I deprived you of a whole raft of medicine related puns.

In fact (at the risk of turning into the pub bore) we did have Fleming in the very early days of the first WIT thread. He appeared in the middle of an interesting sub theme of scientists from which I for one learnt a lot. I was particularly surprised that I had never heard of this chap, of whom a very large claim was made by a famous science fiction writer.

attachicon.gifwit8.jpg

David

That`s odd. He didn`t come up in any of the searches I carried out beforehand. I did post Valentine Fleming a while back, which you solved, but I couldn`t find Alexander.

Anyway, I`ve been looking at a lot of artists and paintings, especially during your recent sub-theme, and I`m sure I remember an artist that fits your description. The only trouble is that I can`t for the life of me remember who the heck it was, so it`s back to the long trawl for me.

In the meantime; do you recognise the artist responsible for this painting. You would certainly recognise one from a previous conflict, by the same artist.

post-95959-0-13970600-1458902135_thumb.j

That`s odd. He didn`t come up in any of the searches I carried out beforehand. I did post Valentine Fleming a while back, which you solved, but I couldn`t find Alexander.]

Steve

My apologies you are quite right. He was discussed on the thread but not featured. On checking I found that what happened was when Moseley was put up with Asimov's comment by Caryl, I made the comparison with how Fleming was sat in a hut at base when a stray artillery shell destroyed the hut next to him. 20 yards to the right and possibly no penicillin, or certainly not in time for the Second World War.

David

That`s odd. He didn`t come up in any of the searches I carried out beforehand. I did post Valentine Fleming a while back, which you solved, but I couldn`t find Alexander.

Anyway, I`ve been looking at a lot of artists and paintings, especially during your recent sub-theme, and I`m sure I remember an artist that fits your description. The only trouble is that I can`t for the life of me remember who the heck it was, so it`s back to the long trawl for me.

In the meantime; do you recognise the artist responsible for this painting. You would certainly recognise one from a previous conflict, by the same artist.

attachicon.gifgp.jpg

This is by Lady Butler and references her own painting of the Light Brigade after the charge. Her other showstopper is Scotland Forever, the charge of the Scots Greys at Waterloo.

Pete's got my painter - Franz Marc

David

That`s odd. He didn`t come up in any of the searches I carried out beforehand. I did post Valentine Fleming a while back, which you solved, but I couldn`t find Alexander.]

Steve

My apologies you are quite right. He was discussed on the thread but not featured. On checking I found that what happened was when Moseley was put up with Asimov's comment by Caryl, I made the comparison with how Fleming was sat in a hut at base when a stray artillery shell destroyed the hut next to him. 20 yards to the right and possibly no penicillin, or certainly not in time for the Second World War.

David

Regardless, that was a great spot, as it`s so different from the usual stock photos of him.

This is by Lady Butler and references her own painting of the Light Brigade after the charge. Her other showstopper is Scotland Forever, the charge of the Scots Greys at Waterloo.

Pete's got my painter - Franz Marc

David

Absolutely top marks, David. Lady Butler it is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Thompson

Well done to Pete. Beat me to it.

Absolutely top marks, David. Lady Butler it is.

Mainly a happy accident. I was teaching Tennyson's Charge of the Light Brigade to my Year 10s this week and showed them paintings of the event for context. The one you posted was so redolent of it I couldn't miss the connection.

David

Are they all solved? I think so. I will throw one in now, but no doubt all the 'swots' on here will eat it up. Who is this on the steps at Moreton Church, holding his hat behind his back?

post-100478-0-13251900-1458914643_thumb.

Is it WSC at TEL's funeral Eddie?

David

Is it WSC at TEL's funeral Eddie?

David

Not him David.

Or GBS?

Good one. George Bernard Shaw it is.

Here's the Pathe newsreel of the funeral.

Our mystery man is seen from 1:14 on.

Thats an excellent find Dai. I will play it at Clouds Hill on Monday.

WSC on GBS's Great War - published in 1937:

"If the truth must be told, our British island has not had much help in its troubles from Mr. Bernard Shaw. When nations are fighting for life, when the Palace in which the Jester dwells not uncomfortably, is itself assailed, and everyone from Prince to groom is fighting on the battlements, the Jester's jokes echo only through deserted halls, and his witticisms and commendations, distributed evenly between friend and foe, jar the ears of hurrying messengers, of mourning women and wounded men."

From 'Great Contemporaries'.

Which scientist/novelist is the owner of this pair of handlebars???post-95959-0-93873300-1458936934_thumb.j

and slightly more follicly challenged

John

I did wonder about the hirsute back view. Perhaps it was just wishful thinking. I'm even more follicly challenged than WSC so perhaps subliminally I hoped I look like that from behind!

I didn't even realise GBS was there so an excellent spot UG, and I love the elegant skewering by Chuchill. There is a man who could make an extended metaphor sing

David

Is he a Haldane UG?

Not Haldane, Dai.

Upon the outbreak of war, he was involved with the development of new weapons, subsequently giving his name to two of them.

Achieving the rank of Major, he was awarded the Military Cross, and was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire.

Sorry, mixing you two up.

The question should have been "Is he a Haldane NF (rather than UG!)".

OK. So it isn't...

Sorry, mixing you two up.

The question should have been "Is he a Haldane NF (rather than UG!)".

OK. So it isn't...

No worries Dai, I`ve been called a lot worse I can assure you. :)

A further hint for my man would be that he became the teacher of a star pupil.

Or GBS?

"For when all is said and done, it was not the Jester's fault there was a war. Had we all stayed beguiled by his musings and his sallies, how much better off we should be! How many faces we should not have to miss!"

In victory: magnanimity

Is the ornately bewiskered young man shown in 4096 William Livens?

Pete