The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Is the ornately bewiskered young man shown in 4096 William Livens?

Pete

Not Livens either Pete, but he was an explosives expert/teacher, and his weapons were in accordance with that.

He is much better known however for his protege.

Not Haldane, Dai.

Upon the outbreak of war, he was involved with the development of new weapons, subsequently giving his name to two of them.

Achieving the rank of Major, he was awarded the Military Cross, and was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire.

He looks a bit like Maskelyne but the novelist doesn't fit...

Is it Edward Vickers? (Edit - no, not explosive enough!)

Is it Stokes? Although I'm not sure he wrote either. The sound of straw clutching most be audible from space!

David

Is he Samuel Auld MC, author of 'Gas and Flame in Modern Warfare'?

http://www.vlib.us/wwi/resources/gasflamewwi.html

Sorry, not him either, Uncle.

Is it Edward Vickers? (Edit - no, not explosive enough!)

Not Vickers or Maskelyne seaJane.

His novel was written in Geurnsey before the war, and he also became a Fellow of the Chemist`s society as a metallurgist.

Is it Stokes? Although I'm not sure he wrote either. The sound of straw clutching most be audible from space!

David

Not Stokes either David.

I`m enjoying being on this side of the chase for once, but I suspect that I will give it away by telling you that he was also awarded the Order of the Nile and the Order of El Nahda.

Ker-tinggg (without seeing your latest post)

Herbert Garland. Trained TEL.

That's what I love about WIT. Whilst chasing wild geese and making poor guesses I learn things. I now know that the inventor of the Mills Bomb also invented types of golf club and a decoupling device for ships. That Stokes got a £1 for every mortar fired by his tubes (I wonder if he felt at all uncomfortable about that). And I now know more than anyone could possibly need about guncotton!

David

Ker-tinggg (without seeing your latest post)

Herbert Garland. Trained TEL.

Absolutely correct seaJane, Well sussed.

I had a good run with him there. I`m surprised he wasn`t picked off earlier, but obviously I had to keep the T.E.L. connection up my sleeve. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Garland

Back to paintings. My favourite Great War painter bar none, but who is the subject of this one?

post-66715-0-77025100-1458946457_thumb.j

Good Morning

That's Harry Tandey VC, pictured carrying a wounded comrade in 1914 at the Menin Crossroads, who apart from being the most highly decorated private soldier during the war, allegedly he did not shoot at a wounded German later identified, as one Adolf Hitler, during the action in 1918 where he won his VC.

John

Not to detract from John's success, I thought it might be Tandey, but having forgotten his name I could not pick him out in my list of VCs quickly enough!

Apparently, during the 1930s, the Green Howards Museum, which I think owns the original, received a request from the German Government for a copy of the picture for the Fuhrer. He had been shown a copy of the picture by Neville Chamberlain, and reportedly said: "That's the man who nearly killed me!"

Tandey survived WW2 although, at the time, he was living in Coventry ...

Ron

UG, you're turn ... to easy

john

WSC referred to this man as "the noblest Roman of them all."

Who is he ? ? ?

post-108430-0-20492500-1458997266_thumb.

That took a bit of delving to clarify, then it was bl**dy obvious, General of the Army George Catlett Marshall jnr., who died in 1959. Apparently he was visited in hospital by WSC and Ike together, both men he had worked very closely with, unfortunately he was unable to recognise them, which cause WSC to shed a tear.

John

That took a bit of delving to clarify, then it was bl**dy obvious, General of the Army George Catlett Marshall jnr., who died in 1959. Apparently he was visited in hospital by WSC and Ike together, both men he had worked very closely with, unfortunately he was unable to recognise them, which cause WSC to shed a tear.

John

Yes, Marshall. Your anecdote puts me in mind of this, about de Gaulle's visit to Pershing in 1944:

"Pershing was eventually tracked down with difficulty to an old people's home in the Appalachians. When de Gaulle arrived Pershing's semi-senile memory was stirred by his first sight of a French uniform and kepi for many years. 'Tell me how is my old friend Marshal Petain?' was therefore his first disconcerting remark to de Gaulle. 'La derniere fois que je l'ai vu, il se portait bien,' was de Gaulle's stiff but proper and formally accurate reply."

From Roy Jenkins' 'Churchill' (2001).

Here's a photo of Pershing and Marshall:

post-108430-0-36972800-1459003363_thumb.

This civil engineer with a Black Country connection should be an easy start for today

post-105748-0-36457700-1459081819_thumb.

John

Sir John Monash, born in DUDLEY Street, West Melbourne, Victoria.

Ron

Talking of east ones, here`s another that I would have expected to have seen on here before now.

Any takers for this chap???post-95959-0-12441000-1459094463_thumb.j