The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I don`t think we`ve had this chap yet, but I`ve been wrong about that before, so forgive me if we have.

Teacher, k.i.a. 1914.

First British soldier to.......???post-95959-0-17405100-1459792087_thumb.j

Is it Henry Hadley? First Brit killed in the war

Is it Henry Hadley? First Brit killed in the war

Not Hadley, David.

It might help if I point out that he was killed on 16th December, 1914.

Thanks for the birthday good-wishes guys. This passage of time business. It's a bu**er really isn't it.

Not Hadley, David.

It might help if I point out that he was killed on 16th December, 1914.

He is Theophilus Jones. The first man killed by enemy fire on British soil.

He is Theophilus Jones. The first man killed by enemy fire on British soil.

Got him in one, Uncle. Killed in the Hartlepool bombing.

A runner whom the race outran. One staff officer jumped right over another staff officer's back. These misquotes do not correctly relate to this man. But who is he ? ? ?

post-108430-0-40512700-1459799583_thumb.

#4185. Here he is again (standing top left) as a member of the 16th Lancers polo team in 1880. This is a clue.

post-108430-0-09189000-1459848296_thumb.

Back indoors now,first attempt Lt Col Frederick Gordon Blair AdC King George V (1914-1920)

John

Back indoors now,first attempt Lt Col Frederick Gordon Blair AdC King George V (1914-1920)

John

Yes - well done.

In his memoirs Sir William Robertson describes his enlistment, in 1877, in the 16th Lancers. Robertson tells us he is "seventeen and three-quarters years old", and is posted to 'G' Troop. Here he encounters the troop's subaltern, "Lieutenant 'Freddy' Blair, [who] was somewhat of a terror to all shirkers and wrongdoers ... "

Robertson continues: "I am sure that neither of us then thought that forty-one years later I [then a full General] would be Commander-in-Chief of the Eastern Command and he [then a Colonel] would be my military secretary. But so it turned out."

In his account of his time at Eastern Command Robertson does not mention Blair at all. In the book's index he is "Blair, Col."

Who, then, is the chap standing next to Blair in the photograph in #4186 ? ? ? Robertson writes highly of him in his memoirs, and he had a distinguished GW. Here's a later photograph of him:

post-108430-0-88426500-1459866160_thumb.

Lt Colonel H L R Howard, who I have in my list of persons I need to read up about

John

Lt Colonel H L R Howard, who I have in my list of persons I need to read up about

John

No it's not him. Blimey John - this is the first time you've got one wrong! (Unless, of course, you are right and I am wrong! Such is your reputation!)

No, my chap commanded "one of the Kitchener Divisions".

Hi UG

post-105748-0-47412900-1459880967_thumb.

This print is from the book Scarlet Lancers, and has the chap on the right standing as H R L Howard, oh dear, bit of research now wanted!

John

Hi UG

attachicon.gifPolo 1880 16th Lancers.jpg

This print is from the book Scarlet Lancers, and has the chap on the right standing as H R L Howard, oh dear, bit of research now wanted!

John

I think this is a punctuation issue. Here's another of my chap:

post-108430-0-86582800-1459883727_thumb.

I think this is a punctuation issue. Here's another of my chap:

Lieutenant General Sir James Melville Babington?

On the comprehensive evidence Lt Gen Sir James Melville Babington it is, thank you gents, I have amended my notes and read list to suit.

PS whose going to tell the publishers?

John

Yes, Babington. Robertson recalls meeting him in 1877:

"The adjutant, Lieutenant 'Jimmy' Babington, was a fine horseman, a strict disciplinarian, and universally regarded as an ideal cavalry officer. He was more than that, as is shown by his selection in 1914, when nearly 60 years of age, to command one of Kitchener's Divisions. This he took to France the following year, and from then onwards was continuously in command of the division or an army corps, in France or in Italy, until the end of the war, a task which proved to be beyond the physical powers of many a younger man in the hard and incessant fighting on the West Front."

He appears in Robertson's index as "Babington, Lt.-Gen. Sir J."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Melville_Babington

Another cavalryman who doesn`t seem to have featured yet.

His son also served in WW1, and went on to become a Hollywood actor.

post-95959-0-13103300-1459940396_thumb.j

Major General William Henry Muir Lowe, who commanded the British forces in Dublin during the Easter Rising, and his son was the actor John Loder

John

How are we on pugilists???post-95959-0-95438900-1459952843_thumb.j

Is he Bombardier Billy Wells?

Ernest Chandler?

Neither or I`m afraid.

This chap was world champion when war broke out, and it would be fair to say that the war put an end to his very promising career.