The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Neither or I`m afraid.

This chap was world champion when war broke out, and it would be fair to say that the war put an end to his very promising career.

Bill Ladbury, British, European, World Flyweight Champ, KIA 1917.

Bill Ladbury, British, European, World Flyweight Champ, KIA 1917.

That`s very, very close, but not him either.

That`s very, very close, but not him either.

How about Percy Jones? He lived until 1922, but the war killed him.

How about Percy Jones? He lived until 1922, but the war killed him.

Percy Jones it is. Well played. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Jones_(boxer)

Very sad tale. Born on Boxing day (funnily enough), and died on Christmas day.

What a cracking division that flyweight division was at the time. I would have loved to have been able to see the likes of Jones, Ladbury, Symonds, Tancy Lee, and of course, the great Jimmy Wilde all battling it out for the honours.

Wilde incidentally, was arguably the best flyweight ever, but also met a sad end after being mugged in his older years and dying of his injuries.

I can`t resist going off on a little run of WW1 linked boxers, so here`s another.

post-95959-0-38362300-1459959417_thumb.j

Certainly took one on the chin in the G.W. It took some precious metal and the leg of a goat to fix him up.

That the Frenchman Eugene Criqui,featherweight champ.

Criqui it is , of course. You evidently know your boxers too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eug%C3%A8ne_Criqui

I won`t throw the towel in just yet.

From riches to rags, he was interred in an unmarked pauper`s grave.

post-95959-0-99036300-1459967213_thumb.j

The Canadian heavyweight Tommy Burns?

John

To be fair; that was a pretty easy one for anyone who knows their boxing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Burns_(boxer)

This is obviously an area of your expertise John. Do you share my passion for boxing?

Since I first started here on WIT, I have for some reason, up until now resisted the urge to be self-indulgent and post fighters. It would seem that after all this time, I chose the wrong time to do so now.

Many moons ago as a teenager I used to be into the amateur scene and had a few bouts, but the usual vices caught up and it became a spectator sport, which has also diminished as I get older.

John

Too slow on Percy Jones.

This one's easy.

Gassed at Ypres.

That has to be one of two that I can think of.

I`ll go for Peerless Jim first.

Neverforget I think the Welsh connection would definitely make it Jim Driscoll

"I served four years during the Great War; during that time I did some 12,000 three-minute rounds of boxing, taking on all comers, all weights, amateur and professional."

John

There were a number of notable Welsh fighters at the time, but I`m sticking with Driscoll for now.

I`ve not come across a happy end for many of these boxers yet.

Wilde, Basham and Welsh would all be too easy now, so I`ll post one more, and then throw in the towel on boxers for a while.

Who is this???post-95959-0-80280200-1459975877_thumb.j

Eugene Bullard

khaki

Good effort Khaki, but not him.

My man was awarded a couple of gallantry medals, but didn`t have quite such a distinguished military career as Bullard. In fact; not many people could equal Bullard`s WW1 credentials, which as we know were exceptional.

He did outshine him in the ring though, taking the world title from a very famous fighter in a controversial and rather chaotic fight.

Another sad end too, after being gunned down on his way home one night.

Battling Siki aka Louis Mbarick Fall, the George Carpentier light heavyweight championship win controversy, final shot in the back, a story in itself.

I waited before I had my turn - honest

John

post-95959-0-73051400-1460016399_thumb.j

Battling Siki is correct of course John. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battling_Siki

Siki claimed that he had agreed to take a dive, but when Carpentier dropped Siki, the outraged African decided to get up and fight. Although he had agreed to throw the fight, he did not intend to get beat up doing so.
In the sixth round Siki hit Carpentier with a powerful right uppercut that appeared to put Carpentier down and out for the count. The referee, however, claimed Siki had tripped Carpentier, and awarded the bout to the unconscious champion on a foul. Fearing a riot from the aroused crowd, the three ringside judges overruled the referee, and Siki was eventually declared the champion.

NF

Is that Erika Roe? Can't think of a Great War connection, though.

Ron

In the Army Physical Training Corps Museum at Aldershot, there's a photograph of the Army Gymnastic Staff Instruction Team in 1914.

The heading is “Six Lonsdale Belt Holders” and they are: “Bombardier” Billy Wells (Heavyweight, 1911 – 1919); Pat O’Keefe (Middleweight, 1914 – 1916 & 1918 – 1919), Johnny Basham (Welterweight, 1914 – 1920 & 1921); Dick Smith (Light Heavyweight, 1914 – 1916 & 1918 – 1919); Jimmy Wilde (Flyweight, 1916 – 1923); and Jim Driscoll (Featherweight, 1907 – 1913).

By the way, I've always thought that Johnny Basham who, incidentally, is buried in my local cemetery in Newport, had one of the most appropriate names for a boxer!

By the way, I've always thought that Johnny Basham who, incidentally, is buried in my local cemetery in Newport, had one of the most appropriate names for a boxer!

Interesting.

I once knew a Johnny Basham, who insisted his surname was not "Bash-em", but "Bass-'am".