The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Wilde incidentally, was arguably the best flyweight ever, but also met a sad end after being mugged in his older years and dying of his injuries.

Yes a sad end.

Mugged at a train station in Cardiff in the mid sixties, and spent the last few years of his life at Whitchurch Hospital, Cardiff.

In my day, (70s) it was a psychiatric hospital, so I wonder if he died in the psychogeriatric unit.

It may however had had an ordinary geriatric medicine unit also, before the University Hospital at Heath Park, Cardiff, opened in around 1972.

Interesting.

I once knew a Johnny Basham, who insisted his surname was not "Bash-em", but "Bass-'am".

I suppose that's quite understandable ... it could have lead to all sorts of trouble, otherwise!

Well, as you've linked it to my comment about appropriate names, it could be Johnny Basham himself, but I doubt it ... or is it a double bluff?

[sigh] ... he had what might be seen (or rather heard) as an appropriate name. He was awarded a number of decorations, including the Albert Medal in Gold for gallantry in saving life at sea.

Is it Francis Goodhart?

David

Is it Francis Goodhart?

David

It sure is.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63648

Here's his AM citation. It's quite lengthy but worth a read:

"Owing to an accident, one of H.M. submarines sank and became fast on the bottom in 38 feet of water, parts of the vessel becoming flooded. After several hours the only prospect of saving those remaining on board appeared to be for someone to escape from the submarine in order to concert measures with the rescuers, who were by this time present on the surface. Commander Goodhart, after consultation with the Commanding Officer, volunteered to make the attempt. Accordingly, after placing in his belt a small tin cylinder with instructions for the rescuers, Commander Goodhart went into the conning tower with the Commanding Officer. The conning tower was flooded up to their waists, and the high-pressure air was turned on; the clips of the conning tower were knocked off and the conning tower lid was soon wide open. Commander Goodhart then stood up in the dome, took a deep breath, and made his escape, but, unfortunately, was blown by the pressure of air against part of the super-structure, and was killed by the force of the blow. The Commanding Officer, whose intention it had been to return inside the submarine after Commander Goodhart's escape, was involuntarily forced to the surface by the air pressure, and it was thus rendered possible for the plans for rescuing those still inside the submarine to be carried out. Commander Goodhart displayed extreme and heroic daring in attempting to escape from the submarine in order to save the lives of those remaining on board, and thoroughly realised the forlorn nature of his act. His last remark to the Commanding Officer was: 'If I don't get up, the tin cylinder will'."

Goodhart died, aged 31, leaving a widow and two daughters. He is buried at Faslane.

Gosh. :poppy:

I presume as this action was not in battle he was not eligible for a VC which otherwise the details of his actions would seem to justify

David

post-33278-0-40909800-1460066911_thumb.j

I am notoriously poor at identifying regiments. Is this chap a Royal Scots Fusilier?

David

Yes. With a famous older brother.

Hi sJ. I suspect a TEL connection with your man whom TEL wrote to saying "Dear J.B. I cannot call you "Colonel" any more: after all, I used to be one myself and disliked it. The Golden Rule applies". i.e. - John Buchan? Or is he the brother?

JB is the famous older brother, indeed.

Ah, thanks. Lieutenant Alistair Buchan Royal Scots Fusiliers then. Nice to see you on WIT sJ.

You must have missed my brief flurry of surgeons and Antarctic types ;) Alastair Buchan it is, KIA Arras April 1917.

Been away on Brownsea Island for a bit. Read them now though. Bril.

A Dorset Man - Fell at Fromelles and only buried in 2010.

post-100478-0-11632800-1460102812_thumb.

Morning

Private Harry Dibben from Buckland Newton, one of the few to be positively identified.

John

Hey John, Well done my man.

Eddie

Got his eye in and was awarded accordingly, survived the war and went into politics.

post-105748-0-89019500-1460201665_thumb.

John

Well done UG, got him straight away, maybe no clues next time. Interesting history,using the Ross rifle he amassed 378 killings to his credit and captured 300+enemy, awarded MM and subsequently 2 bars, questions asked as to why he did not get anything higher is another debate.

John

Francis Pegahmagabow. We had him a while back.