The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I'm stumped too. With my history teacher's hat on I remember there was at least one referendum ordered as part of the Treaty of Versailles, but I don't know of any individual who was significant in that.

David

OK. My chap was enormously instrumental in the creation of what now called the 'European Union'. But here's the thing: his views and outlook were formed by his activities during the GW. "The principal assumptions that drove [his] work on economic and political relations originated with his work for Allied organizations during World War I and with the League of Nations thereafter."

Is 4268 Jean Monnet?

Ron

Is 4268 Jean Monnet?

Ron

Yes indeed. Variously described as 'The Father of Europe' and 'Europe's First Citizen', he was in 1976 named the first honorary citizen of Europe and is widely thought of as the founding father of the European Communities.

During the GW he was the French representative on the Inter Allied Maritime Transport Council. Monnet had seen that, "When Allies competed against each other on world markets, the result was a joint drop in efficiency ... Monnet's solution was to get both parties to step outside their traditional roles and instead look at the problems together."

The IAMTC's goals included, "To assure the best possible utilisation of tonnage controlled by all the Allies ... [and] to repartition this tonnage between the different needs of the Allies so as to realize the maximum contribution to the general war effort."

Due to his contributions to the war effort, upon the creation of the League of Nations in 1919, at the age of thirty-one Monnet was named the League's Deputy Secretary General by Clemenceau and Arthur Balfour.

I repeat: "The principal assumptions that drove Monnet's work on economic and political relations originated with his work for Allied organizations during World War I and with the League of Nations thereafter."

Quotes from 'The Supranational Politics of Jean Monnet: Ideas and Origins of the European Community' (2001) by Frederic J. Fransen.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=T0PcErQ5J6cC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

I ran across a book by this gentleman in the Oxford Oxfam bookshop a week or so ago. He was among other things a dramatist whose work is now sadly neglected even in the theatre of which he was one of the founders.

The photo was taken just before WW1.

Roger M

post-98084-0-48295500-1460319150_thumb.j

Having an inkling of an inkling. Was he Scottish?

Medical man by another name?

Indeed well done.

Having an inkling of an inkling. Was he Scottish?

Yes, although his name does particularly sound like it.

Arnold Ridley of 'Dad's Army'?

Arnold Ridley of 'Dad's Army'?

No. Dramatist, but not actor.

James Bridie, aka Dr O.H. Mavor.

But I think Knotty got there first.

Ah, James Bridie. I recall reading, long ago, a press cutting of a letter from James Bridie regarding "the letters attacking Mr Robins Millar's review of T. E. Lawrence's book"

James Bridie, aka Dr O.H. Mavor.

But I think Knotty got there first.

Correct. Osborne Henry Mavor, Major RAMC (according to his MIC)

James Bridie - Dramatist and one of the founders of the Citizens' Theatre, Glasgow.

Sadly out of fashion.

One of the scenes in the Sleeping Clergyman is set at the time of WW1

Hmmmm.

Unless I am very much mistaken, NF posted the gentleman on the left last year.

Drat, so he has. I'll take him off...

Who is this, and who`s his pretty woman???

post-95959-0-26653300-1460353634_thumb.j

Who is this, and who`s his pretty woman???

attachicon.gifft.jpg

It looks like Stanley Holloway.

It looks like Stanley Holloway.

It looks like, and is Stanley Holloway, star of My Fair Lady https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Holloway

Enlisted in the Connaught Rangers. Previously having been a private in the London Rifle Brigade. He was stationed in Cork and initially fought against Sinn Féin during the Easter Rising of 1916. Later that year, he fought in the trenches alongside Michael O'Leary, who later won the Victoria Cross.Holloway and O'Leary stayed in touch after the war, becoming close friends.
Holloway spent much of his time in the later part of the war organising shows to boost troop morale in France.

How about this "leader of men", who`s ship mysteriously dissapeared???

post-95959-0-90295300-1460362232_thumb.j

Looks to be a Royal Naval Reserve Lieutenant, so far that's all I can deduce.

Oh dear as its raining better not go out........now what can I do!!

John

I`m not sure if he was a Royal Naval Reserve Lieutenant or not to be honest, but he would have been better remembered as a Captain, and as one of the most capable and trusted of seafarers.

It looks like, and is Stanley Holloway, star of My Fair Lady https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Holloway

Enlisted in the Connaught Rangers. Previously having been a private in the London Rifle Brigade. He was stationed in Cork and initially fought against Sinn Féin during the Easter Rising of 1916. Later that year, he fought in the trenches alongside Michael O'Leary, who later won the Victoria Cross.Holloway and O'Leary stayed in touch after the war, becoming close friends.
Holloway spent much of his time in the later part of the war organising shows to boost troop morale in France.

NF, I think the Wikipedia entry for Holloway is wrong as regards the legendary O'Leary. I think he won the VC before he met Stanley Holloway, on 1st February 1915 on the railway embankment at Cuinchy at the northern edge of what became the Loos battlefield, near the infamous brickstacks. It is a wonderful story in itself.

Pete.

I`m not sure if he was a Royal Naval Reserve Lieutenant or not to be honest, but he would have been better remembered as a Captain, and as one of the most capable and trusted of seafarers.

Is he Ronald Stuart VC of the Q-ship HMS Pargust?

"Due to the official secrecy surrounding the activities of the Q-ships, Stuart's and Williams's Victoria Crosses were announced without fanfare or explanation of their actions; even the Pargust's name was omitted from the citation."

I bow to your knowledge on that one mate. The gospel according to St.Wiki proves false once again.

Well spotted Pete, and thanks for pointing it out.

Now, what about my Navy man? or must I wait for seaJane to come in from the cold?

Is he Ronald Stuart VC of the Q-ship HMS Pargust?

"Due to the official secrecy surrounding the activities of the Q-ships, Stuart's and Williams's Victoria Crosses were announced without fanfare or explanation of their actions; even the Pargust's name was omitted from the citation.

Not him Uncle, but I have given another hint as you were posting.