The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Is it "Teddy"Evans - Edward Ratcliffe Garth Russel Evans, captain of Scotts expedition ship the Terra Nova?

John

Is he Frank Worsley?

Not Worsley, but you're on the right track now.

Is it "Teddy"Evans - Edward Ratcliffe Garth Russel Evans, captain of Scotts expedition ship the Terra Nova?

John

Not Evans either John, but again, close.

I think Ernest Shackleton was a lieutenant RNR (?).

You're all so very close.

Not Shackleton, who prompted my quote about his seafaring qualities.

Don't forget also that the ship most notably associated with him disappeared. He wasn't on board at the time to be fair to him.

Frank Wild? (Endurance disappeared, of course, but they saw her go ... )

I don't think I'm right ...

Frank Wild? (Endurance disappeared, of course, but they saw her go ... )

I don't think I'm right ...

I'm really surprised to say that you're right to think that you're not right seaJane.

I can't believe how close everyone has been without actually getting him.

Oh well at least I was right about being wrong!

Is it the John King Davis, Captain of Aurora before the war, the ship subsequently disappeared in 1917 without trace

John

Is it the John King Davis, Captain of Aurora before the war, the ship subsequently disappeared in 1917 without trace

John

John King Davis it is. Well played. http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/davis-john-king-5914

Shackleton wrote: 'Captain Davis is the most experienced navigator of Antarctic seas living …

That was a difficult one, thanks for the link. My next attempt was to be Captain Birdseye, now what was I supposed to do this morning

John

"Captain Birdseye", you say?

A disappeared ship?

This chap led an interesting life. He was another 'first'. In fact, he was two firsts.

U-boats I'd heard of: but 'H-boats'?

post-108430-0-07784000-1460402210_thumb.

(Apologies UG as I know this means we have two running at once but this is my only chance to post for a while.)

Fellow Inmates

Well after 12,000 posts and 146,000 views on our two WIT threads I thought we might want to add a new string to our bow. So after WIT and WAIWA I give you WWAW (Who, Where and When?).

It's nice and simple - who, where and when (and I'd like a time please as well as a date)

post-66715-0-99160400-1460407810_thumb.j

David

I'll take a starter for 10. Sir John Jellicoe, the bridge of HMS Iron Duke at Jutland, 18.30 hrs on 31st May 1916.

Pete.

I'll take a starter for 10. Sir John Jellicoe, the bridge of HMS Iron Duke at Jutland, 18.30 hrs on 31st May 1916.

Pete.

Brilliant my friend. To be absolutely accurate it was 18.14pm but I am sure he was still there 16 minutes later!

It is indeed the moment when Jellicoe made his famous order to deploy the Grand Fleet at Jutland. It has been called the single most important command decision of the war (although I have always thought that over egged it a bit. How about the decision to turn the German Army in front of Paris in 1914 for instance?).

David

Good one David; it might be a nice variation for the inmates.

Pete.

"Captain Birdseye", you say?

A disappeared ship?

This chap led an interesting life. He was another 'first'. In fact, he was two firsts.

U-boats I'd heard of: but 'H-boats'?

Is he Commander Cromwell H Varley?

Flew the Jolly Roger.

I like the new slant, David, and well sussed Pete!

Lieutenant B. L. Johnson?

"While dived on the last day of a weeklong coastal reconnaissance patrol, she snagged the mooring cable of a stray British mine and set it off. Fortunately the mine detonated outside of lethal range but considerable damage was done to the forward part of the boat. H8 settled nose down onto the bottom at 80 feet with water pouring into her battered fore-ends at several points. Her cool headed captain and determined crew managed to stem the leaks, get their boat surfaced and back to England in a hair raising overnight passage of the North Sea. Even the Germans admitted it was a gutsy escapade."

Looking to find the captain of H4 which sank the UB52 ( first sub to sink a sub?)

John

Looking to find the captain of H4 which sank the UB52 ( first sub to sink a sub?)

John

Not the H4. His service in the Wavy Navy has relevance to one of his 'firsts'.

Lieutenant William Lowell Thompson.

First RNVR officer ever to serve in British submarines, and the first Canadian to do so. At Montreal Thompson was assigned to H-5.

I see what you mean about having had an interesting life!