The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Another easy WWAW

"Don't you think I'll be back"

John

I didn`t notice this post when I replied to David, and only just spotted it when I came on to post another contender.

Anyway, didn`t the Red Baron say that on April 21st 1918?

I know where he was when he was shot down, but I couldn`t say where he took off from.

It might not be him to whom you were referring in any case of course.

Got him in one, and he said it before taking off from Cappy airfield

Thanks for replying, I was wondering where everyone had disappeared to!

John

That's an excellent spot NF. I'm glad the WWAWs are catching on.

This was the one I was about to post when I spotted John`s:

" At the present moment there is only one thing to do, to fight.

Infantry, artillery, aeroplanes - all that I have I put at your disposal - do what you like with them."

I've got this one. It's Pershing to Foch during the Spring Offensive. Not sure exactly where or when though. Is it the same meeting when Haig also made the same offer?

David

I've got this one. It's Pershing to Foch during the Spring Offensive. Not sure exactly where or when though. Is it the same meeting when Haig also made the same offer?

David

You`re quite right David, Pershing it was. Well spotted.

I have it down as being said on 28 March 1918 at Bombon.

The address in full:

"I have come to tell you that the American people will hold it a high honour that their troops should take part in the present battle.
I ask you to permit this in my name and in theirs. At the present moment there is only one thing to do, to fight. Infantry, artillery, aeroplanes - all that I have I put at your disposal - do what you like with them. More will come - in fact, all that may be necessary.
I have come expressly to tell you that the American people will be proud to take part in this, the greatest and most striking battle of history."
I`ve had a quick look, but I haven`t established if Haig was there at the time or not. Over to you..........

I was thinking of the meeting at Doullens on 26th March when Haig made his offer to Foch. However the extensive library tells me that Pershing wasn't at that meeting and that it as on 3 April that they all met at Beauvais and Foch was made 'Generalissimo'

David

This WWAW is not a difficult one but to make it a touch less straightforward, the 'Who' is who is in command of the ship on the right of the picture?

post-66715-0-00057100-1460582538_thumb.j

David

Lt. Cmdr. Harold Campbell, just after midnight on 23rd April 1918, the Mole at Zeebrugge. The ship on the left is HMS Vindictive and it is being held against the mole by HMS Daffodil commanded by Campbell.

Pete.

This WWAW is not a difficult one but to make it a touch less straightforward, the 'Who' is who is in command of the ship on the right of the picture?

attachicon.gifwit13.jpg

David

I`m pretty sure it`s 22nd April 1918 and Zeebrugge, and think it may be Lt Cmdr Harold Campbell commander of the Daffodil?

I expect it will be a good while before I get another. What's the betting that if I do someone will pip me at the post.

Even more of a killer (and I'm speaking from experience here) is when you've found someone after searching for hours, only to find that while you have been posting the answer someone has beaten you to it seconds before.

You just gotta love WIT though, and all it's little twists and turns.

What was that I was just saying :)

Well pipped Pete. :thumbsup:

Lt. Cmdr. Harold Campbell, just after midnight on 23rd April 1918, the Mole at Zeebrugge. The ship on the left is HMS Vindictive and it is being held against the mole by HMS Daffodil commanded by Campbell.

Pete.

Right in all respects Pete. I'm clearly going to have to work a lot harder to find a naval WWAW that wil test you

David

PS and well done NF

What was that I was just saying :)

Well pipped Pete. :thumbsup:

Right in all respects Pete. I'm clearly going to have to work a lot harder to find a naval WWAW that wil test you

David

PS and well done NF

As a very small boy my grandmother would take me down to the Pier Head every Sunday and we would get the ferry 'cross the Mersey*. It would be either the Royal Iris or the Royal Daffodil so I grew up with the story. The ships in question were the successors to the original two, but they still had some of the fittings as I remember it.

Pete.

* (That would make a great song title; I wonder why nobody has thought of it?)

I suspect this isn't much more difficult but here goes. WWAW

post-66715-0-67879700-1460585478_thumb.j

What curious event happened on the ship on the left?

David

Is she half of what was to be Zubian?

Her loss in 1914 was kept secret till the end of the war?

Here's an easy WWAW, to keep us going:

" ... I was confronted by a large German who was about to shoot me ... An immediate decision was clearly vital. I hurled myself through the air at the German and kicked him as hard as I could in the lower part of the stomach; the blow was well aimed at a tender spot. I had read much about the value of surprise in war. There was no doubt that the German was surprised and it must have seemed to him a new form of war; he fell to the ground in great pain and I took my first prisoner!"

I'm back home now,so catching up

UG I know this one as he is featured in my signed copy of Famous 1914-1918, it's our Monty on recalling his actions 13th Oct 1914 at Meteren.

Stuck on ridgus naval one, though

John

UG I know this one as he is featured in my signed copy of Famous 1914-1918, it's our Monty on recalling his actions 13th Oct 1914 at Meteren.

John

It is indeed.

Me too.

And me. Perhaps seaJane has it, but I haven't been able to fathom anything yet.

I'm back home now,so catching up

John

John, is it your birthday today? If so many happy returns. SJ's story about the Zubian is interesting even if isn't David's WWAW; I once bought a car which was actually two cars welded together (I exaggerate for effect), but two destroyers welded together is really something. Might have been tricky to get insurance though.....

Pete.

P.S. I doubt there is a variation on "the signed by the author I see - Yes, couldn't stop him unfortunately, if you can find an unsigned one it's worth an absolute fortune" gag that we haven't heard, but Famous is a top book signed or unsigned.

I suspect this isn't much more difficult but here goes. WWAW

attachicon.gifwit 17.jpg

What curious event happened on the ship on the left?

David

My son (ex RN) tells me this is the Audacious, sunk without seeing combat after hitting a mine in 1914.

My son (ex RN) tells me this is the Audacious, sunk without seeing combat after hitting a mine in 1914.

Think we are both right

In that case wasn't she also the first RN loss of the war?

Think we are both right

Sorry folks, exam season underway so only just got back. I wasn't meaning to let you hang on all day. Well played Ghazala junior but I think johnboy takes the palm as his earlier post clearly had Audacious in mind.

All the rest of the comments on her loss are correct, but my subsequent question was about the ship to the left - HMS Liverpool. I'll let it run a while longer as I'm revelling in the fact that for the first time since the old King was on the throne one of my posts appeared to flummox the A team of NF, UG, Pete and Knotty!

David