The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

In that case wasn't she also the first RN loss of the war?

The first capital ship, but the three cruisers Aboukir, Cressy and Hogue were sunk over a month earlier.

Ron

Hi Pete aka Fattyowls

Yes it is, thank you

John

Happy Birthday from one Berkshire boy to another

David

Where: roughly 55°15′45″N 8°13′00″W (Toraigh Island) off the coast of Donegal. When: 21.00 on 27th October 1914 and who; an unamed petty officer on HMS Liverpool who had the misfortune

to be killed by a piece of armour plate when Audacious blew up. I wonder if his name is recorded somewhere?

Pete.

My son (ex RN) tells me this is the Audacious, sunk without seeing combat after hitting a mine in 1914.

Which leads me to recall the most bizarre and unlucky incident to which David refers. Only trouble is I can't remember the fellow's name, or the ship that he was on.

Back to the library for me.

Where: roughly 55°15′45″N 8°13′00″W (Toraigh Island) off the coast of Donegal. When: 21.00 on 27th October 1914 and who; an unamed petty officer on HMS Liverpool who had the misfortune

to be killed by a piece of armour plate when Audacious blew up. I wonder if his name is recorded somewhere?

Pete.

The A team bites back. Correct on all counts Pete. The poor Petty Officer on the Liverpool was the only casualty of the incident despite being 800 yards from the Audacious.

The wreck is presumably fairly intact and with all hands evacuated safely is not a war grave, so I would have thought it ripe for some undersea exploration

David

My son (ex RN) tells me this is the Audacious, sunk without seeing combat after hitting a mine in 1914.

The ship on the left is a 3-funnelled cruiser - looks like a 'Town' class - and not the Audacious. The one on the right could be, but the pic is small.

MikB

Found a much larger image and more images, and you are correct the ship on the right is HMS Audacious, the ship on the left is HMS Liverpool who has taken her in tow. The smaller vessel is the destroyer HMS Fury, all the photos were taken from the deck of the RMS Olympic.

John

PS Thanks for the good wishes from all

I'm getting confused. My son has gone out to the pub and Mrs Ghazala is not speaking to me. On another note; on Saturday there is a talk at The Tank Museum on the First Tank Crews by Stephen Pope our very own GWF member. Attending with him will be Donald Reiffer, son of Roy Reiffer - who looked after TELs motorcycles at the Red Garage in Bovington. Come and join me.

Many Happy returns John.

A further naval WWAW

post-66715-0-74237000-1460669138_thumb.j

Where when and who?

David

HMAS Sydney -v- SMS Emden 1914 Indian Ocean Cocos Keeling Islands. Cmdrs Glossop & von Muller.

khaki

Correct Khaki.

I must be getting soft in my old age. In times gone by the thread's Lord Protector, Stoppage Drill, would have blocked out North Keeling Island written 'Heh, heh, heh!' and damned us to do our best. Of course Khaki would have still got it much to the op's annoyance. On reflection perhaps I should have posted this photograph instead

post-66715-0-46043300-1460672090_thumb.j

David

WWAW? (hope I've done this right - taken some clues out and left some in)

'It is a difficult problem to know how to protect her, and engages all ---'s thoughts. In fact, how she remains afloat at all is a puzzle to every one. 20 March 1916: Another small strafe started, and H.M.S. --- stopped quite a few. She received five direct hits from 9-pounders, and one from the 18-pounder field-gun the enemy captured from us at Ahwaz ... truly the sight of the --- ripped and torn through and through by shell and bullet, with her shotted funnel and her smashed cabins, and her White Ensign soiled and tattered, the finest flag in all the world, still fluttering in the storm - would be a sight for gods.'

Good Evening seaJane

HMS Sumana, commanded by Lieutenant Lionel Tudway, it was an improvised gunboat of the Tigris Flotilla, and during 19/20 March 1916 it received heavy shelling by the Turks. Finally captured by the Turks 29/4/1916 with the surrender of Kut.

John

Quite right (or almost, as I think Sumana's commander was still a sub-lieutenant at the time). As quoted by E.O. Mousley in 'Secrets of a Kuttite'.

I have a distinct soft spot for Lionel Charles Paul Tudway, RN. :)

A quick naval WWAW:

"[He] was caught - carried in in one of the retriever's mouths & dropped bloodshot & panting at the door of [wherever it was]."

UG

It was written by (Lady)Violet Asquith on Jacky Fishers resignation as First Sea Lord 15 May 1915 over Churchill's Galliopli campaign.

He (Fisher) threatened to go to Scotland to avoid questioning over his decision,the eight time he threatened to go in nearly 7 months, the PM (Asquith) demanded he came back, and sent various telegrams asking him to do so, as well as having searches conducted.

However Fisher had actually remained in London, just down the road from the Admiralty, and was quickly tracked down by the authorities and was brought to Downing Street a few hours later, hence the caustic comments.

John

UG

It was written by (Lady)Violet Asquith on Jacky Fishers resignation as First Sea Lord 15 May 1915 over Churchill's Galliopli campaign.

He (Fisher) threatened to go to Scotland to avoid questioning over his decision,the eight time he threatened to go in nearly 7 months, the PM (Asquith) demanded he came back, and sent various telegrams asking him to do so, as well as having searches conducted.

However Fisher had actually remained in London, just down the road from the Admiralty, and was quickly tracked down by the authorities and was brought to Downing Street a few hours later, hence the caustic comments.

John

A perfect answer as per usual, John. "Fisher's rather sad wife in his Norfolk manor house at Kilvertone was contacted, boat trains were checked, London was scoured. Within a couple of hours Fisher was tracked down ... Asquith in the meantime had rather characteristically been to a wedding ... "

Quotes to be found in Roy Jenkins' 'Churchill' (2001). Jenkins gives the source for Violet's quote: 'Champion Redoutable: The Diaries and Letters of Violet Bonham Carter, 1914-45', first published 1998.

I do believe I have seen that picture - in Le Tommy Bar at Poziers. However not Poziers but Courtney’s Post, on the Gallipoli Peninsula, a British trench was violently attacked by the Turks. When his four comrades had been killed or wounded, Lance-Corporal Albert Jacka, 14th Australian Infantry, found himself attacked by seven sturdy Ottomans. Jacka, defending himself single-handed, disposed of five of his assailants by rifle fire and two with the bayonet.