The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Just trawling through the smaller ones now!

John

Sudden thought it might be the opposition

Edited by Knotty

ame="neverforget" post="2389479" timestamp="1460859698"]

Struggling with your Jutland survivor. All the cruisers had more than two survivors (although depressingly not many more) so will need to look at smaller ships

David

You`re quite right to be looking at a larger class of smaller vessels, David.

Sudden thought it might be the opposition

Only in his political career. :rolleyes:

Lt Commander Sir Arthur Marsden, HMS Ardent, was a Conservative MP 1931-1950.

JP

Sir Arthur Marsden it is. Well done JP.

His account of the sinking:

"It was too late to get away, so I attacked

immediately and fired a torpedo from a favourable position at
the leader, I could not see if it hit, as at once a most devastating
fire was poured in on the " Ardent" from the two leading Ships,
who both had their searchlights on us. This bombardment
continued for about five minutes when the enemy ceased fire
and switched off, after which period the Ship was a total wreck,
and appeared to be sinking. I then sank the Secret books, etc.,
and went aft to try and make a Raft, all our boats, Carley floats,
Sze. being smashed to bits. At this moment the enemy
recommenced firing from point blank range, I gave the order
"save yourselves," and about forty survivors jumped into the
sea, with no support beyond lifebelts, waistcoats, &c., and
shortly after the Ship sunk with her colours flying.
I was in the water about five hours before being picked up
by " Marksman," and regret that up to date have heard of no
more survivors. It is perhaps unnecessary for me to add that
the Officers and Ship's company of the " Ardent " behaved
according to the highest traditions of the British Navy. All
Ranks and Ratings fought the Ship until every gun was out of
action with the utmost determination. -
When all did their duty it is impossible for me to name any
individual for special recommendation.
I have the honour to be,
Sir,
Your obedient Servant,
A. MARSDEN,,
Lieut. Commander, H.M.S. "Ardent.".
And, not forgetting the cricketer:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Q3BhCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA1916-IA96&lpg=PA1916-IA96&dq=Arthur+Marsden+(cricketer)&source=bl&ots=YgEv1WNrfl&sig=HjI_0DbEXtHCyuoTB2KzqVYopqU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjmgIKbwJXMAhWBxRQKHSk4AYMQ6AEIRzAK#v=onepage&q=Arthur%20Marsden%20(cricketer)&f=false

A WWAW:

"Certainly a terrible hour. I can see him now, as ... he described the situation and explained with map and pencil, like a schoolmaster teaching a class with a blackboard, the reasons for his confidence ... Calm he certainly was not. He was vehement, passionate, persuasive, but clairvoyant and, above all, indomitable."

A WWAW:

"Certainly a terrible hour. I can see him now, as ... he described the situation and explained with map and pencil, like a schoolmaster teaching a class with a blackboard, the reasons for his confidence ... Calm he certainly was not. He was vehement, passionate, persuasive, but clairvoyant and, above all, indomitable."

I think it`s Churchill referring to Foch. Not too sure but possibly Beauvais, March 30th 1918?

This one has one link to our "Statmaster", and one to his most recent V.C. winner.

This one wasn`t a V.C. winner though.post-95959-0-76244000-1460893900_thumb.j

I think it`s Churchill referring to Foch. Not too sure but possibly Beauvais, March 30th 1918?

Yes well done. It is WSC writing of meeting Foch at Beauvais (on April 3 1918).

Quote from 'Great Contemporaries'.

NF

Need to check who Statmaster is,would it be David?

John

Sadly yes! I am the thread's (entirely self appointed) statistician. I'm guessing the chap was a teacher

David

Just as an aside it is Steve Marsdin's birthday for about 15 more minutes so happy birthday Steve. I think he qualifies as one of what the CO of 45 Squadron in WW1 would later call one of the 'old lags' of WIT?

Pete.

Hopefully we've now established that my man was a teacher.

He was K.I.A. 1918.
David's last V.C winner won an Olympic gold medal, which would be the other link, and he won his gold before the war.,
Many Happy returns Steve.

No photo available for this unsung hero, but who is he, and why is his name in the news again this week?

"By 1914, X was transferred to the Ship Equipment Department of the Marconi

Company, and on the outbreak of the First World War he was engaged as a technician in

"special Admiralty fittings" – working on the armed merchant ships which operated

clandestinely on the open seas and were known as Q-ships. He also supervised the

installation of wireless equipment on the Dreadnought-class battleships HMS Invincible and

HMS Inflexible which steamed the 8,000 miles south to the Falkland Islands in 1914, to face

down a German naval threat to the south Atlantic islands. Connected with the Admiralty

through the Marconi Company, X later became assistant to Captain H.J. Round (who

was himself Chief Assistant to Guglielmo Marconi), and he worked with Captain Round on

the further development of the thermionic radio valve without which advancements in radio

could not have taken place."

Ron

Hopefully we've now established that my man was a teacher.

He was K.I.A. 1918.

David's last V.C winner won an Olympic gold medal, which would be the other link, and he won his gold before the war.,

Many Happy returns Steve.

Joseph Dines?

EDIT: It IS Joseph Dines (I think).

No photo available for this unsung hero, but who is he, and why is his name in the news again this week?

"By 1914, X was transferred to the Ship Equipment Department of the Marconi

Company, and on the outbreak of the First World War he was engaged as a technician in

"special Admiralty fittings" – working on the armed merchant ships which operated

clandestinely on the open seas and were known as Q-ships. He also supervised the

installation of wireless equipment on the Dreadnought-class battleships HMS Invincible and

HMS Inflexible which steamed the 8,000 miles south to the Falkland Islands in 1914, to face

down a German naval threat to the south Atlantic islands. Connected with the Admiralty

through the Marconi Company, X later became assistant to Captain H.J. Round (who

was himself Chief Assistant to Guglielmo Marconi), and he worked with Captain Round on

the further development of the thermionic radio valve without which advancements in radio

could not have taken place."

Ron

Artie Moore?

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/14428359.THE_LONG_VIEW__The_Blackwood_man_who_heard_the_Titanic___s_call_for_help/

Got it in one, Uncle. There is also a link in Skindles, in the RMS Titanic thread.

I found it fascinating that a radio signal from the liner, whose maximum radio range was thought to be 2,000 miles, could be picked up and read accurately by a self-taught amateur, using home-made equipment, about 3,000 miles away.

Ron

Joseph Dines?

EDIT: It IS Joseph Dines (I think).

Dines it is, Uncle. Well played! http://blog.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/first-world-war-footballers-joseph-dines/

Got it in one, Uncle. There is also a link in Skindles, in the RMS Titanic thread.

I found it fascinating that a radio signal from the liner, whose maximum radio range was thought to be 2,000 miles, could be picked up and read accurately by a self-taught amateur, using home-made equipment, about 3,000 miles away.

Ron

I liked that one. Good topical find, Ron. (Just looked at your Titanic post too.)

Back to our new WWAW plaything for this one, and I don`t think they`re going to come much easier than this one:

"Very successful attack this morning ... All went like clockwork ... The battle is going very well for us and already the Germans are surrendering freely. The enemy is so short of men that he is collecting them from all along the front line. Our men are in wonderful spirits and full of confidence."

Your correct NF easy it is,

Haig reporting on the 1st July 1916 First day of The Somme

John

Your correct NF easy it is,

Haig reporting on the 1st July 1916

John

Quite so.

Only posted it so we could have a grim chuckle.

In 1915 he also notoriously said; "The machine gun is a much over rated weapon", and of course there was his post war summary, almost two decades later, where he declared that "I believe that the value of the horse and the opportunity for the horse in the future are likely to be as great as ever. Aeroplanes and tanks are only accessories to the men and the horse."

Some may be relieved to hear that this will be my last WIT for a day or two, as I am heading down to Weymouth for a long overdue visit to my daughter, and latest granddaughter.

So, who is this???post-95959-0-66464900-1461001808_thumb.j

Just as an aside it is Steve Marsdin's birthday for about 15 more minutes so happy birthday Steve. I think he qualifies as one of what the CO of 45 Squadron in WW1 would later call one of the 'old lags' of WIT?

Pete.

Belated birthday greetings to a stalwart inmate of the WIT asylum

David

Some may be relieved to hear that this will be my last WIT for a day or two.

Au contraire mon ami. Will we find your latest in Mr Van Emden's boy soldiers? Thought not.

Pete.

Au contraire mon ami. Will we find your latest in Mr Van Emden's boy soldiers? Thought not.

Pete.

Thanks Pete.

A hint or two to help with #4450:

She raised thousands of pounds for the soldiers at the front, and gifted an ambulance to the Queen.

She was part of the Great March of Peace in London in 1919, as well as the opening ceremony for the Unknown Warrior.

Very strong link with Kitchener.

EDIT>: She was also awarded the the war medal of the British Red Cross Society.

Edited by neverforget