The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

That was a hard one, NF

She is a young lady from Burnley named Jessie Jackson, known as "Young Kitchener". She raised thousands of pounds for soldiers and some of the monies went to an ambulance for the Army which was presented to Queen Mary.

She was the only child to walk in the Great March of Peace in London,1919

She was invited to the ceremony for the tomb of the Unknown Warrior, still at the tender age of 13.

John

That was a hard one, NF

She is a young lady from Burnley named Jessie Jackson, known as "Young Kitchener". She raised thousands of pounds for soldiers and some of the monies went to an ambulance for the Army which was presented to Queen Mary.

She was the only child to walk in the Great March of Peace in London,1919

She was invited to the ceremony for the tomb of the Unknown Warrior, still at the tender age of 13.

John

"Young Kitchener" it is, John. Jennie Jackson http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/ww1/blog/young-kitchener.aspx

I`m glad we cleared that one up before I went on my travels.

Play nicely, and I`ll see you after a couple of days of grandad fatigues.

Going back to Joseph Dines; a link that David in particular might enjoy: http://www.ww1schools.com/index.html

"Young Kitchener" it is, John. Jennie Jackson http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/ww1/blog/young-kitchener.aspx

I`m glad we cleared that one up before I went on my travels.

Play nicely, and I`ll see you after a couple of days of grandad fatigues.

Excellent parting shot NF. Just when you think there is nothing that can surprise you on WIT another rabbit is pulled from the hat - how on earth had we not featured that young lady before?

Time for a quick WAIWA

'At the end of the war one name was coming to the fore the name of ........., the only civilian who attained to a lieutenant-general's command in France'

Who is Charles Carrington writing about.

David

It was a reference to Sir John Monash, made commander of the Australian Corps in May 1918 he was regarded as the only possible successor to Haig.

John

Going back to Joseph Dines; a link that David in particular might enjoy: http://www.ww1schools.com/index.html

JP (Helpjpl) pointed out that I should have recognised Dines as he is one of Liverpool FC's fallen, and I have helped Kjell Hannsen who is Liverpool's ace historian with the odd WW1 query, and with the three players who played for both clubs killed in WW1. By the way Mr Plumb do your boys still do a chorus of "Keep Right On To The End Of The Road" like they used to when I was a semi-regular at St Andrews?

Pete.

It was a reference to Sir John Monash, made commander of the Australian Corps in May 1918 he was regarded as the only possible successor to Haig.

John

Correct John. I am rereading 'Soldier from the wars returning' and the sentence caught my eye as it had never struck me that Monash was not a career soldier. A few more Carrington apercus on their way over the next few days

David

David

I think Carrington must have overlooked Sir Eric Geddes, who also started as a civilian and became a Lieutenant-General, as DG Transportation.

Ron

Thank you Ron. I should have remembered that as I put Geddes up as a WIT some time ago!

David

David

I think Carrington must have overlooked Sir Eric Geddes, who also started as a civilian and became a Lieutenant-General, as DG Transportation.

Ron

Thank you Ron. I should have remembered that as I put Geddes up as a WIT some time ago!

David

Ll.G tells us:

"General Currie, the Commander of the Canadian Army, and General Monash, the Commander of the Australian Army, were both in civil life when the War broke out. Both proved themselves to be brilliant military leaders and went right through to the top. It means they had a natural aptitude for soldiering and that the fact of their being officers in unprofessional armies gave full play to their gifts."

He continues:

"Monash was, according to the testimony of those who knew well his genius for war and what he accomplished by it, the most resourceful General in the whole of the British Army."

From his 'War Memoirs'.

A WWAW:

"He paused in the doorway and I knew in a flash and before ever he spoke that the event had gone wrong. Though his manner was quite calm, his face was different. I had the subconscious feeling that it was distorted and discoloured as if it had been punched with a fist. His eyes rolled more than ever. His voice, too, was hoarse. He looked gigantic. 'Bad news,' he said heavily and laid the slip of paper on my bed. I read the telegram. It was from Sir John French ... "

There: enough clues already, it seems to me.

UG

WSC reading to Lord Kitchener the telegram, which he (LK) had just delivered on the morning of the 24/8/1914 at around 7:00am.

The telegram was saying that although Sir JF had held the line through Mons, following the French 5th Army withdraw on his right flank he had no other option but to do the same with the BEF and following the instructions previously given should he move to defend Harve.

John.

Took me about an hour to recall it was one of Winstons recollection in his book The World Crisis 1911-1918

UG

WSC reading to Lord Kitchener the telegram, which he (LK) had just delivered on the morning of the 24/8/1914 at around 7:00am.

The telegram was saying that although Sir JF had held the line through Mons, following the French 5th Army withdraw on his right flank he had no other option but to do the same with the BEF and following the instructions previously given should he move to defend Harve.

John.

Took me about an hour to recall it was one of Winstons recollection in his book The World Crisis 1911-1918

Yes. It is 7 o'clock in the morning on August 24th 1914. WSC is "sitting up in bed in Admiralty House working at my boxes." The telegram reveals that Namur has fallen - "in a single day ... We were evidently in the presence of new facts and of a new standard of values. If strong fortresses were to melt like wisps of vapour in a morning sun, many judgements would have to be revised. The foundations of thought were quaking ...

" ... the apparition of Kitchener Agonistes in my doorway will dwell with me as long as I live. It was like seeing old John Bull on the rack!"

'Kitchener Agonistes...old John Bull on the rack' what a great Churchillian line.

Carrington can't quite match that, but who is he talking about here,

'Who remembers the .................... scandal which stirred up as much mud in 1918 as the Profumo scandal in 1963? .................. claimed to have uncovered a ring of perverts in the highest society who were liable to blackmail by the German Secret Service, a tale which was inflated by rumour with new names every day, until his supreme moment, when in the witness box, he implicated the name of the judge then sitting on the Bench'

David

PS I don't think the police referred to him as 'credible and true'

He is talking about Noel Pemberton Billing (sometimes hypenated) and the sensational 'Black Book' libel trial in 1918. He appears to have been as mad as a box of frogs but got off after representing himself. Paxo used it as a metaphor for the feeling in 1918 in his series on WW1. Reading about it I am reminded by Sterling Hayden's portrayal of General Jack D Ripper in Dr Strangelove; another conspiratorial nutter.

Pete.

By the way Mr Plumb do your boys still do a chorus of "Keep Right On To The End Of The Road" like they used to when I was a semi-regular at St Andrews?

Pete.

They certainly do Pete, though lately perhaps not quite like they used to. Next season is going to produce a couple of rousing and spine-tingling choruses though that`s for sure, when we welcome our neighbours from B6 to their new posting.

Just another old fashioned WIT for now:

Came very close to being shot for sabotage. P.O.W. and escapee.

Do you know this chap???post-95959-0-38240500-1461229816_thumb.j

They certainly do Pete, though lately perhaps not quite like they used to. Next season is going to produce a couple of rousing and spine-tingling choruses though that`s for sure, when we welcome our neighbours from B6 to their new posting.

Do you know this chap???attachicon.gifpk.jpg

Is he John Owen Donaldson?

And in her hair

She wore a claret ribbon

She wore a claret ribbon in her hair.

And when they asked her why she wore the ribbon

She said, "It's for a Villa fan, who's far far away".

Is he John Owen Donaldson?

And in her hair

She wore a claret ribbon

She wore a claret ribbon in her hair.

And when they asked her why she wore the ribbon

She said, "It's for a Villa fan, who's far far away".

Not Donaldson, UG.

My man destroyed more German planes from the ground than he did from the air. (Thus the close shave with the firing squad.)

As for the Villa; a black armband might be more appropriate. :)

Hi NF

Didn't see this one as the thread was a long way down the list.

Anyway I will start to have a go.

Hope you enjoyed Weymouth

John

Hi NF

Didn't see this one as the thread was a long way down the list.

Anyway I will start to have a go.

Hope you enjoyed Weymouth

John

Thank you John. My flying visit to Weymouth was a long overdue treat for me, as I got to see my new granddaughter at last. Not only that, but I finally got to make a connection with her, even managing to extract a smile or two. Priceless.

Anyhow; back to business, and there are one or two clues there for #4470, but I will further impart that he was a confirmed, and decorated air-ace, and losing his plane didn`t stop him notching up a few more.

NF

Struggling with this, got a few names in the frame,but can't get all the facts to tally up.

I will keep on for a while longer

John

Well this thread was going at a rate of knots until this fellow came along, and now seems to be stuttering to a halt, so I don`t want to tie us down any longer with him.

Giveaway time: His granny was hitched to a Windsor.

On 21/04/2016 at 19:16, neverforget said:

Do you know this chap?

Lieutenant Howard Clayton Knotts ?

He was shot down and captured behind enemy lines. En route to a POW camp he set fire to the supply train destroying 7 Fokker planes.

Howard Clayton Knotts

JP