The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

JP

This gentleman was 17 on my list of 20 and I am only up to 12, but I was not looking at the last clue.

Good call just wait for NF to confirm

John

Ps With my surname I have heard it so many times I just ignore it even when it is staring me straight in the face.

JP has untangled the clues perfectly. Knotts it is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Clayton_Knotts
Just pipped to it there John. I'll resist any more puns.

Feel free to identify any of this jolly bunch of cutthroats, I only know the name of one of them however........

Pete.

post-101238-0-76899100-1461332559_thumb.

Feel free to identify any of this jolly bunch of cutthroats, I only know the name of one of them however........

Pete.

attachicon.gifCutthroats.jpg

It's the Vulture Squadron: (l to r in your picture) - Klunk (holding spanner behind back), Dick (rakish), Mutley (sly), the General (patrician), Zilly (identifiable by his long coat buttoned at the throat), and two others.

Raslefrasleraslefrasleraslefras............Got it in one UG.

Pete.

Pete.

attachicon.gifCutthroats.jpg

What an interesting picture. They all look Russian to me, except the guy with the pipe of course. I`m going to need a bit of help with this one I think.

I still don`t recognise any of the Fokkers.

I ran my first WIT??? Live session for my chums at the Everton in the Community Over 75's group this morning. I ran a presentation with several famous faces as they were during WW1. I had Arnold Ridley, Basil Rathbone, Humphrey Bogart and three of the four post war prime ministers who served. I also threw in Claude Rains, Ronald Coleman and Leslie Howard and how they were all injured and/or invalided out but I couldn't find pictures of them in uniform. I confidently believed that I could run it out for twenty to twenty five minutes, but even with several quotes from Casablanca they polished the quiz off in about ten minutes. John, who is in his mid 80's and recovering from a triple bypass got Bogart with just the clue 'actor' and Rathbone in one. So no more Mr Nice Guy, the gloves are off, this time it's personal. In a fit of pique I am going to be economical with the clues for my photo.

Baltic, that's all I'm saying. And it's not Fokker, it's sort of the other side.

Pete.

P.S. If anyone can point me to fiendishly difficult photos of famous people in WW1 garb I would be very grateful. I'm going back on Monday to see the gang and I'm going to get even. I'm going to lull them into a false sense of security with Adolf Hitler and then get really mean.

I ran my first WIT??? Live session for my chums at the Everton in the Community Over 75's group this morning. I ran a presentation with several famous faces as they were during WW1. I had Arnold Ridley, Basil Rathbone, Humphrey Bogart and three of the four post war prime ministers who served. I also threw in Claude Rains, Ronald Coleman and Leslie Howard and how they were all injured and/or invalided out but I couldn't find pictures of them in uniform. I confidently believed that I could run it out for twenty to twenty five minutes, but even with several quotes from Casablanca they polished the quiz off in about ten minutes. John, who is in his mid 80's and recovering from a triple bypass got Bogart with just the clue 'actor' and Rathbone in one. So no more Mr Nice Guy, the gloves are off, this time it's personal. In a fit of pique I am going to be economical with the clues for my photo.

Baltic, that's all I'm saying. And it's not Fokker, it's sort of the other side.

Pete.

P.S. If anyone can point me to fiendishly difficult photos of famous people in WW1 garb I would be very grateful. I'm going back on Monday to see the gang and I'm going to get even. I'm going to lull them into a false sense of security with Adolf Hitler and then get really mean.

Great stuff mate, what a brilliant thing to do. Well done! :thumbsup:

As for your photos, I can`t think of anywhere better than this very place.

Great stuff mate, what a brilliant thing to do. Well done! :thumbsup:

As for your photos, I can`t think of anywhere better than this very place.

Thanks mate, it helps with isolation, social exclusion and the need to get out more, and the over 75's enjoy it too. One of my favourite parts is watching Pat Van Den Hauwe, once one of the most feared defenders in the known universe making tea and coffee for the gang. He works part time with the charity and is an absolutely great guy.

As for my man he was a bit famous in WW1 but much more famous in the most recent unpleasantness.

I will of course scour the two threads for contenders, but if you have any fiendish favourites to nominate I would appreciate it.

Pete

One of my favourite parts is watching Pat Van Den Hauwe, once one of the most feared defenders in the known universe making tea and coffee for the gang. He works part time with the charity and is an absolutely great guy.

great reading right there,great thread too everyone

I will of course scour the two threads for contenders, but if you have any fiendish favourites to nominate I would appreciate it.

Pete

Brilliant stuff my friend. When I stopped laughing, I hauled out the old database and had a scan of the original thread. Some notables you might want to consider are: Walt Disney, Goering, TEL, Buster Keaton, Mussolini, Montgomery, Fuchs (Hitler's dog), Joe Mercer Senior (who of course you posted) and Bela Lugosi.

As ever when I go through the database I am amazed at the range and diversity of the WITs, WAIWAs and now WWAWs.

David

Thanks mate, it helps with isolation, social exclusion and the need to get out more, and the over 75's enjoy it too.

Good for you, particularly after the traumatic midweek you just had.

You know, a good sing song often lifts your spirits when times are bad.

How about...

'When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high.......' :thumbsup:

.. Pat Van Den Hauwe, once one of the most feared defenders in the known universe making tea and coffee for the gang. He works part time with the charity and is an absolutely great guy.

Please pass on the best wishes of all his fans here in his homeland :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, it helps with isolation, social exclusion and the need to get out more, and the over 75's enjoy it too. One of my favourite parts is watching Pat Van Den Hauwe, once one of the most feared defenders in the known universe making tea and coffee for the gang. He works part time with the charity and is an absolutely great guy.

As for my man he was a bit famous in WW1 but much more famous in the most recent unpleasantness.

Pete

To add to David`s excellent suggestions; how about Maurice Chevalier, Agatha Christie, Dennis Wheatley, Georges Carpentier, and the great Jimmy Wilde.

EDIT> P.S. I remember Pat Van Den Hauwe when he played for us. Really competent defender who read the game brilliantly. Best wishes to him.

Edited by neverforget

Good for you, particularly after the traumatic midweek you just had.

You know, a good sing song often lifts your spirits when times are bad.

How about...

'When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high.......' :thumbsup:

The over 75's are a mixed group of Reds and Blues and to be fair the former were not giving the latter a hard time. As it is Carousel was never a favourite musical of mine; I'm reminded of a wise old policeman who encountered a rugby team having a sing song outside a pub, he said "lads, there's nothing like a good sing song........................... and this is nothing like a good sing song". The trousers were pulled up and peace returned to the beer garden.

Pete.

With regards to the gentlemen in #4481...

I thought the man was familiar (4th from right), I'm pleased to say I spotted him in November.

And I've got him again.

I think everyone else may be Ice Cold...

Edit: ....except UG who must have got this one, seeing as he posted the November pic, which although different, is clearly from the same region and era.

Thanks for all the top tips team. Knotty has sent me another cracker by PM; Raymond Massey in German uniform. Wounded in France apparently and went with the US Army to Siberia. I obviously dusted off Rich 'n' Vic's famous "Famous" and thought about Dennis Wheatley, I'm sure some of the gang will have read his books or seen the films.

Pete.

With regards to the gentlemen in #4481...

I thought the man was familiar (4th from right), I'm pleased to say I spotted him in November.

And I've got him again.

I think everyone else may be Ice Cold...

Excellent Dai. Even more impressive is that you solved it before I posted it. I think we should contact the team at CERN to say they can save on the electricity, you've cracked time travel...... :whistle:

Pete.

Excellent Dai. Even more impressive is that you solved it before I posted it. I think we should contact the team at CERN to say they can save on the electricity, you've cracked time travel...... :whistle:

Pete.

Hmmm.

Poor grammar from me I'm afraid, not time travel....

What I was trying to say was....This gent was the subject of this thread:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214619&p=2332391

.....back in November!

I am being arch Dai, ignore me, it's been a traumatic week and won't get any better tomorrow. I had a vague recollection that I'd seen another photo from the Rosenovskya period but couldn't be bothered to chase it up. I rather liked something about the group photo and thought it would be a laugh. As we reach nearly 4500 posts on the second incarnation of the thread alone I wonder how many pictures there are left for us out there.

Pete.

Edited to hide the fact that I can't count.

Is that a young Erwin Rommel Dai?

Pete.

Is it Aircraftsman Shaw again, in disguise?

Ron