The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Apologies for putting up another when Dai's artillery an is unsolved but I think we can cope with a couple on the go and mine is a date specific WWAW.

In Charles Carrington's 'Soldier from the wars returning' there is a brilliant chapter called 'We and they' which portrays the British Army from top to bottom; from 'Old Bill' to Haig. In the section on the despised Staff, he comments that the front line soldier's hatred for the staff is hardly a new phenomenon. To support this he quotes the following:

'But I remember when the fight was done,

When I was dry with rage and extreme toil,

Breathless and faint, leaning upon my sword,

Came there a certain Lord, neat, trimly dressed

...and still he smiled and talked;

And, as the soldiers bore dead bodies by,

He called them untaught knaves...'

The man from GHQ may have been 'perfumed like a milliner' but who is speaking about him and where and when? A WWAW four hundred years in the making!

David

Probably not a complete answer, but it's Hotspur speaking to Henry iv at the palace in London.

This of course comes on the 400th anniversary of the Bard's death.

Is it Aircraftsman Shaw again, in disguise?

Ron

No not Shaw, or his batman, gardener chauffeur or anything to do with TEL.

Probably not a complete answer, but it's Hotspur speaking to Henry iv at the palace in London.

This of course comes on the 400th anniversary of the Bard's death.

Hotspur it is. You are right of course that he was speaking to Henry in London but I was thinking of the battle itself which was Holmedon Hill, 14th September 1402.

However to steer a course into less Mod irritating channels, but still appropriate to today's celebrations, who are this father and son.

post-66715-0-06665700-1461401125_thumb.j post-66715-0-82473700-1461401376_thumb.j

'O proud death,

What feast is toward in thine eternal cell,

That thou so many princes at a shot

So bloodily hast, struck?'

David

No not Shaw, or his batman, gardener chauffeur or anything to do with TEL.

What a pity!

Here's one:

Came to a sticky end at Nuremburg in 1946 - Alfred Jodl - Pictured in WW1.

Hotspur it is. You are right of course that he was speaking to Henry in London but I was thinking of the battle itself which was Holmedon Hill, 14th September 1402.

However to steer a course into less Mod irritating channels, but still appropriate to today's celebrations, who are this father and son.

attachicon.gifwit 26.jpg attachicon.gifwit 27.jpg

'O proud death,

What feast is toward in thine eternal cell,

That thou so many princes at a shot

So bloodily hast, struck?'

David

I hope I`ve been going down the right road with this one today, but if I have, then I can`t seem to get past father and son, Maurice and John Barrymore, and I know it`s not them.

I just can`t quite place the Shakespeare this time either.

I hope I`ve been going down the right road with this one today, but if I have, then I can`t seem to get past father and son, Maurice and John Barrymore, and I know it`s not them.

I just can`t quite place the Shakespeare this time either.

Not the Barrymores NF. The father was knighted on stage during the Tercentary celebrations, muted though they were in 1916.

David

PS The quote is from Hamlet

That gave it away David,

It is (Sir) Frank Benson d 31/12/1939 and son Lt Col Eric Benson kia 15/9/16 , commemorated at Thiepval.

Benson was a cousin of Basil Rathbone,which set me off in that direction as they have a similar look

John

Not the Barrymores NF. The father was knighted on stage during the Tercentary celebrations, muted though they were in 1916.

David

PS The quote is from Hamlet

That helped!

It`s Sir Francis Robert Benson, and his son Eric.

Any ideas on this chap???post-95959-0-85996500-1461431142_thumb.j

Himself, an author, he has also been the subject of film, book and play.

Well known for his eccentricity, he founded a movement of more than a quarter of a million members.

Fully hands on in both wars.

That gave it away David,

It is (Sir) Frank Benson d 31/12/1939 and son Lt Col Eric Benson kia 15/9/16 , commemorated at Thiepval.

Benson was a cousin of Basil Rathbone,which set me off in that direction as they have a similar look

John

That helped!

It`s Sir Francis Robert Benson, and his son Eric.

Correct Gentlemen

Benson was in Stratford at the outset of the war and helped recruitment drives in the area.

David

Died 97 years ago. Good friend of ??? (No, not TEL!).

post-100478-0-76943600-1461445047_thumb.

Ah Eddie, the spirit of Phoebus is reborn. Your clue is that the man in question had a friend!

David

PS For those of you relatively new to the thread Phoebus was notorious for arcane clues that actually made it more difficult to discover the person's identity. The high point came when he offered the helpful tip that the picture 'was in the Library of Congress.' It was pointed out that so were a quarter of million others.

David

Just checking does ??? Refers to Lt Gen Herbert Watts

I nominate Geoffrey Robert Youngman Thurlow

John

PS Sorry NF haven't worked out your candidate yet

Ah Eddie, the spirit of Phoebus is reborn. Your clue is that the man in question had a friend!

David

PS For those of you relatively new to the thread Phoebus was notorious for arcane clues that actually made it more difficult to discover the person's identity. The high point came when he offered the helpful tip that the picture 'was in the Library of Congress.' It was pointed out that so were a quarter of million others.

I nominate Geoffrey Robert Youngman Thurlow

Given that it is indeed Lieutenant Youngman, but that he died on the 23rd April 1917 (ie precisely 99 years ago yesterday) one could say the spirit of the unhelpful clue is alive and kicking... :whistle:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/777525/THURLOW,%20GEOFFREY%20ROBERT%20YOUNGMAN

Name: THURLOW, GEOFFREY ROBERT YOUNGMAN

Date of Death: 23/04/1917

Regiment/Service: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment), "C" Coy. 13th Bn. attd. 10th Bn.

Panel Reference: Bay 7.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Robert Youngman Thurlow and Clara Thurlow, of "Eversley," Buckhurst Hill, Essex.

Excellent - Geoffrey Thurlow, friend of Vera Brittain whom she speaks of in tender tones in Testament of Youth.

And yes, it was 99 years ago. Dyslexia is creeping into my typeface.

More hints for #4515:

Well known for his eccentricity, he founded a movement of more than a quarter of a million members.

A most energetic Christian, and referred to by Sports Illustrated as the best amateur boxer ever.

Disney was involved in the film about him.

Ordered his men to kill him.

Remarkably; his high profile son also served in both world wars.

More hints for #4515:

A most energetic Christian, and referred to by Sports Illustrated as the best amateur boxer ever.

Disney was involved in the film about him.

Ordered his men to kill him.

Remarkably; his high profile son also served in both world wars.

Anthony Joseph Drexel Biddle, Sr?

Anthony Joseph Drexel Biddle, Sr?

Got him, Uncle George, well done! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Joseph_Drexel_Biddle,_Sr.

An extraordinary fellow. Unarmed combat is not a much discussed aspect of the war, but is a particular interest of mine, so for me, this guy rocks, as they say.

A more well known picture of him below.

post-95959-0-80484800-1461495869_thumb.j

On 24/04/2016 at 21:05, neverforget said:

Unarmed combat is not a much discussed aspect of the war, but is a particular interest of mine

I imagine you saw this thread NF, but in case you missed it:

Would the gentleman in post #4525, a friend of ??? be a certain Capt. Victor Owen Robinson MC ?

John