The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Would the gentleman in post #4525, a friend of ??? be a certain Capt. Victor Owen Robinson MC ?

John

No. As well as being the lover of whoever it was he was the lover of, he had an interesting post-GW life and spent part of 1945 at Dachau.

P.S. - 'Wigwhammer' is a clue for those of us who remember Wigwhammer - an enthusiastic Witter who took himself off for six weeks and never returned ...

How about this chap, a lover of ???

Ah, this takes me back to the Wigwhammer days, sadly long gone.

Oh for heaven's sake UG don't you start! "A lover of..." Opera? The novels of Anthony Trollope? Ice-cream? Queen Marie of Roumania?

Another clue please!

David

Edit: sorry posts crossed missed your extra clue, thank you

Oh for heaven's sake UG don't you start! "A lover of..." Opera? The novels of Anthony Trollope? Ice-cream? Queen Marie of Roumania?

Another clue please!

David

Edit: sorry posts crossed missed your extra clue, thank you

A lover in the sense of 'had an affair with'.

On 24/04/2016 at 21:41, Uncle George said:

I imagine you saw this thread NF, but in case you missed it:

I hadn`t seen this at all UG, thanks for posting. I`ll see what a P.M to the chap brings forth.

Your latest Casanova has me stumped at the moment. Is he royalty, may I ask?

So far, depending on how old the picture is, I think I`ve eliminated Philip, Prince of Eulenburg, along with the original six "knights of the Liebenberg Round table".

Probably off on a wild one again.

So far, depending on how old the picture is, I think I`ve eliminated Philip, Prince of Eulenburg, along with the original six "knights of the Liebenberg Round table".

Probably off on a wild one again.

The 'Philip' bit is good: the Duke of Edinburgh was named after my chap, apparently.

I knew it was Philip Edinburgh all along, I was just playing dumb. :thumbsup:

• Admin

Philip of Hesse, lover of Seigfried Sassoon

Yes! Philipp (sic, apparently) of Hesse, wounded during the GW, enthusiastic Nazi, and as Governor of Hesse-Kassel implicit in the forced euthanasia of the mentally ill:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philipp,_Landgrave_of_Hesse

Nice chap to be named in honour of.

Does anyone recognise this dandy looking fellow???post-95959-0-96224000-1461520058_thumb.j

A close up of him here. post-95959-0-08926000-1461520124_thumb.j

A triple sportsman if you like, who reached the top in all three different sports.

While we try to find NF's - following Philipp of Hesse a new sub-theme has presented itself: 'Lovers of the War Poets'. Who is this ? ? ?

post-108430-0-68711000-1461521001_thumb.

Nice chap to be named in honour of.

Does anyone recognise this dandy looking fellow???attachicon.gif96783 - Copy.jpg

A close up of him here. attachicon.gif97922.jpg

A triple sportsman if you like, who reached the top in all three different sports.

Is he Hobey Baker? A famous Hockey and (American) Football player - your close-up suggests Boxing as the third sport. He had a distinguished GW.

Is he Hobey Baker? A famous Hockey and (American) Football player, your close-up suggests Boxing as the third sport. He had a distinguished GW.

Not Hobey Baker.

Boxing is indeed one of the three, but the other two are wrong.

In one of his pursuits, he gained Olympic gold, and in the other two he competed at international level.

Served as an infantryman throughout the war, and survived.

• Admin

While we try to find NF's - following Philipp of Hesse a new sub-theme has presented itself: 'Lovers of the War Poets'. Who is this ? ? ?

Charles Scott Moncreiff who I believe tried to have his wicked way with Wilfred Owen

Hi NF

Back in the game again,sort of lost my way with the cryptic clues.

I think your chap is John "Johnny" William Henry Tyler Douglas as an amateur in boxing,he won the 1908 Olympic Middleweight Gold.

As a cricketer he played for Essex and England with 170 caps, including a spell as captain.

He also played football once for the England amateur side.

He served in the Bedfordshire Regiment as a Major, and tragically died in a shipping accident.

John

Charles Scott Moncreiff who I believe tried to have his wicked way with Wilfred Owen

Dulce et decorum est!

Hi NF

Back in the game again,sort of lost my way with the cryptic clues.

I think your chap is John "Johnny" William Henry Tyler Douglas as an amateur in boxing,he won the 1908 Olympic Middleweight Gold.

As a cricketer he played for Essex and England with 170 caps, including a spell as captain.

He also played football once for the England amateur side.

He served in the Bedfordshire Regiment as a Major, and tragically died in a shipping accident.

John

That`s the chap. Well found, John. Perfect answer.

Wisden cricketer of the year 1915. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Douglas

That`s the chap. Well found, John. Perfect answer.

Wisden cricketer of the year 1915. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Douglas

Not quite a perfect answer. 'Johnny Won't Hit Today' only played 23 tests for England. The 170 means he was the 170th player capped by England.

Not quite a perfect answer. 'Johnny Won't Hit Today' only played 23 tests for England. The 170 means he was the 170th player capped by England.

Well spotted, maestro. I hadn`t noticed that. I must say, I more than half expected you to bag this one.

Boxing was his top vocation I think, but no mean feat in my book to achieve recognition in three different sports.

Well spotted, maestro. I hadn`t noticed that. I must say, I more than half expected you to bag this one.

Boxing was his top vocation I think, but no mean feat in my book to achieve recognition in three different sports.

Only just visited my favourite thread after a long evening with coursework. These days I'd have to get up pretty early in the morning to get ahead of Knotty!

David

A WAIWA for UG's new sub-thread

Not Dead

Walking through trees to cool my heat and pain

I know that David's with me here again.

All that is simple, happy, strong, he is.

Caressingly I stroke

Rough bark of the friendly oak.

A brook goes bubbling by: the voice is his.

Turf burns with pleasant smoke;

I laugh at chaffinch and at primroses.

Over the whole wood in a little while

Breaks his slow smile

Wouldn`t we all eh!

I think you may well have the drop here though with this hero. (No pressure then.)

post-95959-0-39147800-1461537293_thumb.j

A WAIWA for UG's new sub-thread

Not Dead

Walking through trees to cool my heat and pain

I know that David's with me here again.

Caressingly I stroke

Rough bark of the friendly oak.

A brook goes bubbling by: the voice is his.

Turf burns with pleasant smoke;

I laugh at chaffinch and at primroses.

Over the whole wood in a little while

Breaks his slow smile

I know your poem, David, though I can`t give a complete answer yet. One assumes you are requesting the person to whom the poem is dedicated. This may mean a trip upstairs to dust off one of those old-fangled things full of pages of writing.

#4552 won the D.S.O. four times for his heroics, and was mentioned in dispatches more times than that.

Many say he should have gained a V.C. He was afforded full military honours at his funeral.