The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

It is Mona Dunn, the mistress of Frederick Smith (Earl of Birkenhead), she died of peritonitis at the age of 26 in 1928

John

Still had to find out who she was, without going back to the old thread!

Edited by Knotty

Another Great War Politician WAG

post-66715-0-92672700-1462034614_thumb.j

David

Mrs Gazala assures me she read about this lady in the dreaded Daily Mail. Frances Stevenson was Lloyd George's mistress of 30 years.

One more David and you hit the 3000 post mark!

Frances on her first meeting with Ll.G: "I left Downing Street under the impression that I was a free and independent person: in truth I was enslaved for life."

Mrs Gazala assures me she read about this lady in the dreaded Daily Mail. Frances Stevenson was Lloyd George's mistress of 30 years.

One more David and you hit the 3000 post mark!

Mrs Ghazala is correct of course.

I have two pictures up my sleeve - one dead easy and the other a real Stoppage Drill heh, heh, heh!

As this post denotes my elevation to the next rank I think I will indulge myself and include both:

The dead easy one is both wife and girlfriend:

post-66715-0-08685500-1462039924_thumb.j

But this one may well be neither:

post-66715-0-72214900-1462039940_thumb.j

David

Mrs Ghazala is correct of course.

I have two pictures up my sleeve - one dead easy and the other a real Stoppage Drill heh, heh, heh!

As this post denotes my elevation to the next rank I think I will indulge myself and include both:

The dead easy one is both wife and girlfriend:

attachicon.gifwit 28.jpg

But this one may well be neither:

attachicon.gifwit 29.jpg

David

Margot Asquith for sure. And Venetia Stanley?

Margot Asquith for sure. And Venitia Stanley?

Quite right UG. Not a flattering picture of either of them to be honest but it was the only double image I could find.

David

Quite right UG. Not a flattering picture of either of them to be honest but it was the only double image I could find.

David

Is the third woman Venetia's sister Sylvia Henley? If gossip were to be believed ...

Who is speaking here, and where? No prizes for guessing that "when" is 1912.

"In the year 1912, just as in 1866 and just as in 1870, war will take place the instant the German forces by land and sea are, by their superiority at every point, as certain of victory as anything in human calculation can be made certain...We may stand still. Germany always advances and the direction of her advance, the line along which she is moving, is now most manifest. It is towards...complete supremacy by land and sea."

Ron

Post 4367 Frederick Roberts 1st Earl Roberts VC making a speech in Manchester

John

A GoaWW - (girlfriend of a war writer).

EDIT: sorry Ron, we posted at the same time.

That looks to me like Hedy Lamarr

Fascinating lady. Film star, six times married, in middle age a compulsive shop lifter and in old age a recluse who, in between in the 1940s invented a jam proof torpedo guidance system that is one of the key elements in Wi-Fi and bluetooth!

David

Inmates and Witters

I've taken my eye off the statistical ball again so have missed another little milestone for this thread and its predecessor. They have now passed 150,000 views. As of a few minutes ago it was 93,991 views on the old thread and over 57,900 here on its successor. There have been approaching 13,000 posts concerning circa 2,000 WITs, WAIWAs, WWAWs et al.

All because Centurion couldn't recognise a bloke with a pince-nez (although to be fair he remains our one mystery personality to this day) Oaks from acorns indeed!

David

Fascinating lady. Film star, six times married, in middle age a compulsive shop lifter and in old age a recluse who, in between in the 1940s invented a jam proof torpedo guidance system that is one of the key elements in Wi-Fi and bluetooth!

David

'Blazing Saddles': "This is 1874: YOU'LL be able to sue HER!"

P.S. - was I right with Sylvia Henley? (Post #4636).

P.S. - was I right with Sylvia Henley? (Post #4636).

Sorry UG, the vision of Miss Lamarr rather drove other thoughts from the brain for a while.

No it is not Sylvia Henley. This lady is associated with another member of Asquith's cabinet

David

No it is not Sylvia Henley. This lady is associated with another member of Asquith's cabinet

David

Is she Pamela Plowden? The recipient of that great Churchillian chat-up line: "Marry me, and I will conquer the world and lay it at your feet!"

No not Pamela.

Unlike Asquith and Lloyd George the chap is seen as a pillar of moral rectitude, hence it is generally assumed that his relationship with this lady is as it appeared one of friendly correspondence

David

Forgotten her first name (the light has gone out ;) ) but her surname is Lyttelton. I don't know if she was any relation to the Arthur Lyttelton who married Laura Tennant?

Forgotten her first name (the light has gone out ;) ) but her surname is Lyttelton. I don't know if she was any relation to the Arthur Lyttelton who married Laura Tennant?

Excellent spot seaJane. Katherine Lyttelton, tireless and long term correspondent with the great Edward Grey. It has been said that the letters reveal a softer side of the famously severe statesman. However anyone who has ever read his country diary of seen the photos of him feeding birds in his garden knew that existed already

David

His diary is charming.post-33278-0-82284200-1462055673_thumb.j

WoWP (rather a minor poet, admittedly, and not till after the W)

Ron - Is this WSC in a letter to Sunny?

I'm afraid not.

Post 4367 Frederick Roberts 1st Earl Roberts VC making a speech in Manchester

John

Correct!

His speech concluded:

"Gentlemen, only the other day I completed my eightieth year...and the words I am speaking to-day are, therefore, old words—the result of years of earnest thought and practical experience. But, Gentlemen, my fellow-citizens and fellow-Britishers, citizens of this great and sacred trust, this Empire, if these were my last words, I still should say to you—“arm yourselves” and if I put to myself the question, How can I, even at this late and solemn hour, best help England,—England that to me has been so much, England that for me has done so much—again I say, “Arm and prepare to acquit yourselves like men, for the day of your ordeal is at hand.”

Ron

seaJane

This is it Kathleen Kennet nee Bruce, who in 1908 married Captain Scott of the Antarctic (d. 1912) and 1922 to Sir Edward Hilton Young (later Baron Kennet of the Dene)

John