The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

A diarist of the Great War. Who is she ? ? ?

Clue: "Her mind is a very thin soil, laid an inch or two upon very barren rock." (Virginia Woolf)

post-108430-0-65216900-1462100379_thumb.

Vera Brittain?

Ron

The kiwi Kathleen Mansfield Murry, nee Beauchamp, although she dropped the Murry when writing. She died in 1923 at an early age of 34, suffering from tuberculosis for many years she succumbed to a pulmonary haemorrhage .

John

The kiwi Kathleen Mansfield Murry, nee Beauchamp, although she dropped the Murry when writing. She died in 1923 at an early age of 34, suffering from tuberculosis for many years she succumbed to a pulmonary haemorrhage .

John

Correct. Here's her entry for 16 May 1915:

"I dreamed all night of Rupert Brooke. And to-day as I left the house he was standing at the door, with a rucksack on his back and his broad hat shading his face ... You cannot think what pleasure my invisible, imaginary companion gave me. If he had been alive it would never have possibly occurred; but - it's a game I like to play - to walk and talk with the dead who smile and are silent, and FREE, quite finally free."

To be found in 'The Secret Annexe - An Anthology of War Diarists' (2004), edited by Irene and Alan Taylor. (A work which includes extracts from 'Nazi Lady: The Diaries of Elisabeth von Stahlenberg, 1933-48'. Which has since been revealed to be a work of fiction by Gillian Freeman.)

seaJane

This is it Kathleen Kennet nee Bruce, who in 1908 married Captain Scott of the Antarctic (d. 1912) and 1922 to Sir Edward Hilton Young (later Baron Kennet of the Dene)

John

Indeed it is Knotty. E.H. Young was the poet - 'A Muse at Sea' if I recall the title correctly.

Shouldn't that be "A Meux at sea"?

(We've already had him in WIT)

Ron

The Mansfield home still stands on the hills above Wellington NZ, I had a look through many years ago and it was well worth the visit, I cannot recall now at what stage of her life she lived there, it may have been her family home as a child, maybe some NZers can assist with more accurate information.

khaki

Another LOTWP:

post-95959-0-96901100-1462183681_thumb.jpost-95959-0-60696400-1462183585_thumb.j

The poet has a link to T.E.L.

The lover pictured was the daughter of one of the most wealthy businessmen of the time, if not ever.

• Admin

Is she Laura Riding lover of Robert Graves

Is she Anne Morgan, J.P. Morgan's daughter and good egg? (This is a desperate guess. I don't have a clue about the poet.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Morgan_(philanthropist)

Is she Laura Riding lover of Robert Graves

No on both counts, though her father did rub shoulders with J.P. Morgan. She was a writer, who actually married the lover of the poet in question. Confusing isn`t it.

The poet was known for several amorous affairs, all with poets and writers. Engaged to one poet, then married another, before embarking on affairs with others.

They were all at it like Billy-ho.

NF

I've checked out the daughters of all the Robber Barons I can think of and have drawn a blank. Can't think of any businessman richer than Rockefeller, Carnegie or Ford. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

David

NF

I've checked out the daughters of all the Robber Barons I can think of and have drawn a blank. Can't think of any businessman richer than Rockefeller, Carnegie or Ford. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

David

He was an Englishman. Mega in ships, also a big player in newspapers and coal. He was classed as the most wealthy man in the country.

His daughter pictured, and her husband, ended up adopting the child of her lover poet.

Annie Winifred Ellerman?

David

Annie Winifred Ellerman?

David

Well played David, Annie Winifred Ellerman it is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryher

Long term lover of Hilda Doolittle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.D.

I don`t think I`ve ever come across such a confusing state of affairs.

WGGGGW

Who is this beautiful young woman ? ? ?

I know who it is (Mary), but still trying to figure out the acronym :unsure:

I know who it is (Mary), but still trying to figure out the acronym :unsure:

Of course. (The photo is captioned 'HSH The Princess May of Teck'.)

• Admin

Probably taken at the time of her engagement, but to which Prince I wonder?

Probably taken at the time of her engagement, but to which Prince I wonder?

The image is undated Michelle but there is another in the extensive library with her in the same dress. This is dated1890 so prior to both engagements.

David

WGGGGW.

Clue: American.

Jennie Churchill? (although that seems a bit obvious)

David

Jennie Churchill? (although that seems a bit obvious)

David

No. Her first name was Mary. Not 'Marie'. This is a very important point.