The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

No. Her first name was Mary. Not 'Marie'. This is a very important point.

Well suitably gnomic UG. You are channelling your inner Phoebus again. The only 'Marie' I can think of is Marie of Romania but I'm pretty sure that's not helping

David

PS loving the WGGGGW acronym by the way

Giving it away now: one often sees her husband described as 'brutal'. Indeed, he did not treat her at all well.

Mary Clemenceau nee Plummer from Springfield Massachusetts, married George on 23/6/1869

John

Mary Plummer it is. Wikipedia tells us, "Though Clemenceau had many mistresses, when his wife took as her lover a tutor of their children, he had her put in jail for two weeks and sent her back to the United States on a steamer in third class. He divorced her, obtained custody of their children and had her stripped of her French nationality."

However, no source or reference for this is given. Elsewhere we read that he tired of her and left her; but because a divorce would have ruined his reputation and career, they remained married. She and their children lived just outside Paris: when the city was threatened during the GW, Clemenceau offered to have them taken to a safer part of the country, but she refused, saying, "I will remain as long as Paris stands".

http://web.durand.k12.wi.us/hs/

history/maryplummer/maryplummer.html

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19691127&id=2nVQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=8BAEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7300,6084786&hl=en

Here we have another lover of more than one poet, or LOMTOP if you like.

post-95959-0-87257500-1462220595_thumb.j

Born in Germany, and herself a writer/poet, though not a war poet, she had affairs with two other poets, one of which wrote several war poems.

The other`s work was more of a mystical nature, and he is currently among the best selling poets in America.

Both poets died of leukemia.

Is one of the poets Rilke?

Is one of the poets Rilke?

It is indeed, David.

Born in Nuremberg? Emigrated to Switzerland

John

Which on reflection was a pretty pointless question because although I dredged up the fact that he died of leukemia I haven't the faintest idea who he slept with!

Strictly Second XI these days so I'm out. Over to Knotty, UG and others from the A team!

David

Born in Nuremberg? Emigrated to Switzerland

John

Yes. That`s her. Claire Goll. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claire_Goll

Lover of Rilke, as David managed to dig out, and also lover of war poet Yvan Goll. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvan_Goll

NF

And we think we are part of the "promiscuous" generation

John

WGGGW

post-33278-0-82108800-1462227660_thumb.j

WGGGW

attachicon.gifImage2.jpg

Could this be Lady Elsie Meyer, by any chance?

I will go for Kathleen Francis Asquith neé Horner, wife of Raymond kia 15/9/1916 at Ginchy, son of H.H.Asquith.

John

Knotty is right :) although strictly it should be Katharine Frances not Kathleen Francis.

Sorry seaJane autocorrect/predictive is now switched off, please expect more spelling errors, come to think I don't re-read before sending.

Note to myself --check

John

Not Lady Haig is it?

Not Lady Haig is it?

It is not. I have seen her severally described as: "French"; "Rumanian"; "Parisienne". But is appears to be generally agreed that she was an artist.

One account has the age gap at 38 years ...

It is not. I have seen her severally described as: "French"; "Rumanian"; "Parisienne". But is appears to be generally agreed that she was an artist.

One account has the age gap at 38 years ...

Wild guess: Pauline Elisabeth Ottilie Luise zu Wied?

Wild guess: Pauline Elisabeth Ottilie Luise zu Wied?

No. She was an artist. Talking of art - here's a portrait of Pershing:

post-108430-0-23234800-1462304009_thumb.

I`ve found the painting. It`s by Micheline Resco. Further investigation into the young lady confirms that she was indeed his lover, and 34 years his junior. https://www.bridgemanimages.com/fr/asset/259972/resco-micheline-fl-1920/general-john-pershing-1921-oil-on-canvas

I can't even work out the mnemonics let alone the pictures, interesting story about Pershing however. Educational or what?

Pete.