The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I don't know NF this was covered in WIT 2005, fancy not remembering it's been on here before LOL

John

WGGGGW (I think that's right!)

This lady’s remains were buried first in Hanover, then Neudeck, then Hohenstein, then Konigsberg, then Thuringia and finally Marburg.

Who was she?

David

WGGGGW (I think that's right!)

Admit it, you are just doing it to annoy me. And that's more re-interments than Richthofen, it must be some story. I'll look forward to somebody else solving it, I'm off to sulk.

Pete.

David

I think we are talking Mrs von Hindenberg, wife of Paul, Gertrude, who died in 1921, and between Mr von Hindenberg, Adolf Hitler, and the US Army, her body and then both bodies were moved around, either for family ancestral reasons, political reasons, and finally to stop them falling into the hands of the advancing Soviet army. The USAC moved them both after discovering the hidden coffins, to their final resting place at Marburg.

John

David

I think we are talking Mrs von Hindenberg, wife of Paul, Gertrude, who died in 1921, and between Mr von Hindenberg, Adolf Hitler, and the US Army, her body and then both bodies were moved around, either for family ancestral reasons, political reasons, and finally to stop them falling into the hands of the advancing Soviet army. The USAC moved them both after discovering the hidden coffins, to their final resting place at Marburg.

John

Right as ever John. In looking for wives of the good and the great I came across this melancholy story. Gertrude seems to have been a really good egg to whom Hindenburg was devoted. I just found the story of her many reinternments so sad, particularly the storage in a Thuringian salt mine in 1945. Rest in peace Mrs Hindenburg

David

Right as ever John. In looking for wives of the good and the great I came across this melancholy story. Gertrude seems to have been a really good egg to whom Hindenburg was devoted. I just found the story of her many reinternments so sad, particularly the storage in a Thuringian salt mine in 1945. Rest in peace Mrs Hindenburg

David

Incredible story David, well found! As you say; R.I.P. at last, Mrs. Hindenburg.

A WWAW: post-95959-0-39286800-1462347078_thumb.j

EDIT: I will take this opportunity to address any newcomers/potential newcomers to the thread:

The pictures, and segments of text or quotes etc that we post on here as clues, can easily be found by highlighting the text or picture, and simply Google-searching for an instant answer.

Those of us who have been inmates here for a while know this, and many moons back swore an oath in blood not to use the Google-search facility, and thus reduce the whole W.I.T. thing to a pointless exercise.

Any newcomers to the thread would be most welcome, but would not be aware of this ongoing gentleman`s agreement of course, and so I thought it might be worth posting this little update.

A rather obvious link!

This is the battle cruiser SMS Hindenburg, at Scapa Flow, on or after 28 June 1919.

Ron

A rather obvious link!

This is the battle cruiser SMS Hindenburg, at Scapa Flow, on or after 28 June 1919.

Ron

Well spotted Ron. It seemed like the right time to post it following David`s extraordinary tale. Rust in peace SMS Hindenburg.

Morning NF

It's following on from the previous item, that is the 26,180 ton, Wilhelmshaven built German battle-cruiser Hindenberg after being scuttled at Scapa Flow on 21/6/1919, sinking at 17:00,and settling on the bottom upright, she was the last. She had a short life having been launched on 1/8/1915.

The salvage operation of the High Seas Fleet was mainly undertaken by the Black Country firm of Cox & Danks,using methods as yet unproven. The Hindenberg was one of the more difficult ships to salvage finally raised on 22/7/1930.

One of the books to read on the salvage operation is Jutland to Junkyard by S.C.George, it gives analysis of the scrap from the break-up of a ship.

John

Just seen Rons post, I thought she went down on the 21 June 1919

The salvage operation is a favourite of mine from the technical point of view

Morning NF

It's following on from the previous item, that is the 26,180 ton, Wilhelmshaven built German battle-cruiser Hindenberg after being scuttled at Scapa Flow on 21/6/1919, sinking at 17:00,and settling on the bottom upright, she was the last. She had a short life having been launched on 1/8/1915.

The salvage operation of the High Seas Fleet was mainly undertaken by the Black Country firm of Cox & Danks,using methods as yet unproven. The Hindenberg was one of the more difficult ships to salvage finally raised on 22/7/1930.

One of the books to read on the salvage operation is Jutland to Junkyard by S.C.George, it gives analysis of the scrap from the break-up of a ship.

John

Just seen Rons post, I thought she went down on the 21 June 1919

The salvage operation is a favourite of mine from the technical point of view

Interesting stuff. I would have to concur that it was June 21st.

Who is this sergeant being presented to Pershing???post-95959-0-64358700-1462357615_thumb.j

EDIT:

All a bit quiet today, perhaps a few details might help.

His military career began with the 7th Cavalry, and ended briefly just before the outbreak of ww1. When war did break out, he was "dug out", following a direct request to the secretary of war, by a Major General with whom he had worked previously. In fact, it would be fair to say that the Major General had very much been the pupil of the relationship.

His service was so highly valued by the Major General in question, that later, whilst in high office, he arranged a somewhat unorthodox pension-scheme for him, whereby he stayed on active duty for life, thus ensuring that he would be looked after till the end of his days.

He was also presented to the President of the U.S.

Edited by neverforget

It probably was 21 June. I know that the scuttling was in anticipation of the signing of the Treaty of Versailles, and the consequent fear that the ships of the High Seas Fleet would be handed over intact to the allied nations.

I think I have a picture somewhere of the Hindenburg being raised, upside down, in 1930, but I can't lay my hands on the book.

Ron

NF

Busy day in garden as sun was out, now back to the real task, I believe it is Army Indian Scout Sgt. I-see-o, of the Kiowa Tribe, being introduced by Maj. Gen. Ernest Hinds (Commandant of the Field Artillery School) to General John J. Pershing in 1922 at the age of 73 having been re-enlisted to the army in 1915.

His Major Gen friend, referred to was H L Scott, Chief of Staff, who pulled strings to have him re-enlisted to support him till his dying day, as he was loyal to the US government when they needed him and he was unable to adapt to the modern world out of the army.

John

NF

Busy day in garden as sun was out, now back to the real task, I believe it is Army Indian Scout Sgt. I-see-o, of the Kiowa Tribe, being introduced by Maj. Gen. Ernest Hinds (Commandant of the Field Artillery School) to General John J. Pershing in 1922 at the age of 73 having been re-enlisted to the army in 1915.

His Major Gen friend, referred to was H L Scott, Chief of Staff, who pulled strings to have him re-enlisted to support him till his dying day, as he was loyal to the US government when they needed him and he was unable to adapt to the modern world out of the army.

John

I don`t know how you got there John, but of course you are right again. Your description is identical to the one that I have.

I-See-O it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-See-O

H.L.Scott. is worth a special mention too I feel. A thoroughly good egg in my book; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_L._Scott

post-33278-0-71632400-1462399785_thumb.j

This may be a repeat, but here goes ...

index.jpg

This may be a repeat, but here goes ...

He has appeared before, but it wasn't this picture. I'm keeping shtum on this one, because this extraordinary fellow warrants a second appearance in any case, and he's not the first repeat we've had by any means.

This has taken me an age but I believe this is a one time colleague of TEL a certain Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen a British Intelligence Officer, serving in the Middle East during the GW

It seems he was a bit of a Walter Mitty character, both in his Army career and in his private life as an ornithologist.

John

Using Worcester City Library resources

sJ

It's a building you love or hate, for me the jury is still out.

John

To whom did Meinertzhagen purportedly say the following:

"I will not be spoken to like that by an Irish Field Marshal!"

Ron

To whom did Meinertzhagen purportedly say the following:

"I will not be spoken to like that by an Irish Field Marshal!"

Ron

Henry Wilson?

David

Not Wilson - although Meinertzhagen was on his staff during the Treaty of Versailles negotiations.

Ron

Hmm! Thought it was bound to be him. Struggling for other Irish Field Marshals at the time. How about a long shot at French as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland!

David

Ah, there he is again, TEL. This time with Meinhertzhagen. No idea about the Irish Field Marshal but add this: " Meinertzhagen knew no half measures. He was logical, an idealist of the deepest, and so possessed by his convictions that he was willing to harness evil to the chariot of good. He was a strategist, a geographer, and a silent laughing masterful man; who took as blithe a pleasure in deceiving his enemy (or his friend) by some unscrupulous jest, as in spattering the brains of a cornered mob of Germans one by one with his African knob-kerri. His instincts were abetted by an immensely powerful body and a savage brain...."

T E Lawrence - 1926 - Seven Pillars of Wisdom

Hi Ron

Can I surmise that the phrase was used prior to 1914?

John

I have a couple of FM's in mind