The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Not French, and not before 1914. In fact, not before 1918 either.

Ron

Ron

Lord Cavan?

David

Sir Charles Egerton, Ron?

David has it: Frederick, Earl of Cavan. He was CIGS after Wilson but I think he had retired by the time that Meinertzhagen made the remark.

Mahon did not become a FM. Egerton was the only officer, apart from Haig, who was promoted FM during the Great War.

Ron

Wow! Not often I get one over on Knotty and NF these days! I shall celebrate my minor triumph with a WAIWA that will be nailed in a trice by the A Team I'm sure

"Early 1915 found him based at the Abeele airfield where he was promoted to squadron commander. For all his prowess as an aggressor he was not insensitive to the fate he caused to the enemy flyers. In a letter of 1st August 1915 he wrote, "I felt very sorry for him when he fell in flames, but war is war, and (the Germans) have been very troublesome of late""

WAIWA?

DAVID (Edit: don't worry Pete not another acronym, just a failure to knock off the caps lock!)

David

Is this Lanoe Hawker VC David?

PETE.

Hi David

This is Lanoe George Hawker writing to his brother Tyrell an artillery officer.

He had just been awarded the VC, to go with his DSO, for his attack on the 25th July 1915 against 3 enemy planes using his idea of the side mounted Lewis gun, on his scout plane. His action downed 2 and saw off the other. The machine gun was the first of several flying and flight innovation Hawker would be responsible for in the short time before he lost his life to the guns of the "Red Baron".

John

Is this Lanoe Hawker VC David?

PETE.

It is indeed Pete, well spotted. ( I'm glad you are still talking to me after my comments about Liverpool FC on another thread!)

David

Hi David

This is Lanoe George Hawker writing to his brother Tyrell an artillery officer.

He had just been awarded the VC, to go with his DSO, for his attack on the 25th July 1915 against 3 enemy planes using his idea of the side mounted Lewis gun, on his scout plane. His action downed 2 and saw off the other. The machine gun was the first of several flying and flight innovation Hawker would be responsible for in the short time before he lost his life to the guns of the "Red Baron".

John

Right in all details as always, John

I'll forget but I won't forgive. John's answer is very good; the more I learn of Hawker the more impressed I become.

Pete.

I'll forget but I won't forgive. John's answer is very good; the more I learn of Hawker the more impressed I become.

Pete.

Yes he was one of my routes into the Great War. As a lad I was given a tatty old paperback about the Red Baron, which began with a brilliant recreation of his duel with Hawker. I enjoyed the whole book but it was Hawker's desperately skilful if unavailing fight that stuck in my mind

David

Two WGGGGWs, who shared the same first name. Who are they ? ? ?

Let us have no sniggering over one of their maiden names.

post-108430-0-19068900-1462627843_thumb.

post-108430-0-23966700-1462627868_thumb.

Well they must both be Eugénie, as no.1 is neè Hardon the wife of Petain from 1920-1951, stuck on the second lady but do have her Christian name.

John

I will try to be back!

They are both wearing serious hats. The first one reminds me of one of the air intakes on the ouvrages at Verdun which would be appropriate for Madame Petain. I'm just reading about Jutland and I'm sure that the second concoction looks like the Grand Fleet belching smoke and firing broadsides.

Pete.

... the second concoction looks like the Grand Fleet belching smoke and firing broadsides.

Pete.

Funny you should say that.

I'm back with the wife of Captain Bryan Godfrey- Faussett, Equerry to KG5th, named Eugéine I have no pictures so I can't make a definite connection.

John

Funny you should say that.

John's right. And the link with Jutland is that she was the long time lover of David Beatty

David

Morning David

I did not get the Beatty/Jutland connection, just went for prominent Naval Officers, my searching around gave me B G-F as the Equerry to not only KG5 but also Ed VIII and KG6, and he married Eugéine Fanny Eveline Dudley Ward (still got my notepad by me with jottings).

John

Combining the themes of WGGGGW, WAIWA, and Irish Field Marshals. This woman was, when this was written, then in her 60s:

"Her beauty still blazed; buttercup hair; long eyes that seemed as soft as purple pansies; generously curving lips that never quite ceased to smile ... She was indeed womanliness incarnate ... sweet and warm as a bower, apparently slightly scatter-brained yet assumed to be essentially wise."

Mrs Winifred Bennett, the lady-friend (or one of them) of Sir John French?

Ron

Mrs Winifred Bennett, the lady-friend (or one of them) of Sir John French?

Ron

Yes!

" ... She had lost her figure decades ago, but it didn't really matter; that mysterious deep bosom, with no visible cleft, which vaguely and not ungracefully merged into a comfortable stomach and rolling hips, only added to her womanly glamour ... "

The quote, by Francis Wyndham, is to be found in Jonathan Walker's 'The Blue Beast - Power and Passion in the Great War' (2011).

One of the scenes I remember in Oh! What a Lovely War was at some formal function. Sir John (Laurence Olivier) was introducing her to Haig and others as "Mrs Ahem". She later asks Sir John what Haig's family do. "Whisky." "You mean - trade?"

Ron

Yet another of these WGGGGWs. She was at the centre of a scandal in 1917 when, so it is said, an orang-utan chased her up a tree.

(Some accounts give us a runaway gorilla; others a chimpanzee. All accounts mention the tree.)

Who is she ? ? ? An extra point for the name of the primate.

post-108430-0-47086500-1462737537_thumb.