The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

No idea about this one at the moment.

The only monkey I know of to do with the Great War is the one that bit the King of Greece. And I only know that because of yet another WSC florid phrase. The Greek king's death from sepsis contributed to them losing the war with Turkey in the early twenties. Churchill wrote that, "it is no exaggeration to remark that two hundred and fifty thousand people died of this monkey's bite"

David

PS I'm not sure a tree is the best place to try an escape from a chimp, but I suppose clarity of thought might be a luxury under those circumstances

I'm not sure a tree is the best place to try an escape from a chimp, but I suppose clarity of thought might be a luxury under those circumstances

Good point. Some accounts have the beast trying to drag the blameless woman up the tree. Which sounds more likely. Details are somewhat murky: the whole incident was heavily censored.

Got the lady,but the orangutan/gorilla/chimp not a chance, she is the wife of the French President Raymond Poincaré namely Henriette

John

I trust that the offending primate did not seek political asylum in Hartlepool? :lol:

Ron

Good point. Some accounts have the beast trying to drag the blameless woman up the tree. Which sounds more likely. Details are somewhat murky: the whole incident was heavily censored.

This is one of those stories that the more you think about it the odder it gets. Was the poor woman injured? Chimps in particular are ferocious creatures belying the cosy PG Tips image of my youth. Was she alone in the garden? How was she rescued? How did the story leak out?

David

Hi David

You just reminded me of that poor woman in the US who had her face ripped off by her friends "pet" chimp, didn't she have one of ,if not the first., face transplant?

Henriette P, another mystery that could do with a bit of research!

John

Yes. La Première Dame Henriette Poincaré. Wife of the Président de la République. Assaulted by a primate in the garden of the Élysée. The incident was marked by the following celebrated exchange:

First Gendarme - "Do you know there's a monkey in the tree?"

Inspecteur des Gendarmes - "You hum it son, I'll play it."

http://timeandoft.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/our-premiere-dame.html

Reports seem to differ as to whether the animal was an orang-utan that had escaped from a circus (or possibly a Library!) or a chimp belonging to a diplomat who lived nearby. But there does seem to have been a news blackout on the incident at the time.

Ron

Ook!

Anyway - two for the price of one.

WbW or Who by Whom?

The subject of the drawing has been dealt with before. Not sure about the person wielding the graphite.

sJ

post-33278-0-04728600-1462803916_thumb.j

Yes. La Première Dame Henriette Poincaré. Wife of the Président de la République. Assaulted by a primate in the garden of the Élysée. The incident was marked by the following celebrated exchange:

First Gendarme - "Do you know there's a monkey in the tree?"

Inspecteur des Gendarmes - "You hum it son, I'll play it."

http://timeandoft.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/our-premiere-dame.html

Was that a Monkey or Minky ?

Ook!

Anyway - two for the price of one.

WbW or Who by Whom?

The subject of the drawing has been dealt with before. Not sure about the person wielding the graphite.

sJ

attachicon.gifImage2.jpg

That is artist and surgeon Henry Tonks by John Singer Sargent.

JP

Correct JP.

:)

Before this chap ended up in a Russian prison, he wrote a couple of books about his exploits.

Do you know what they were???post-95959-0-24152900-1462813326_thumb.p

Before this chap ended up in a Russian prison, he wrote a couple of books about his exploits.

Do you know what they were???attachicon.gifrs.png

Is he Rodion Markovits? His acclaimed book is 'Siberian Garrison'.

Is he Rodion Markovits? His acclaimed book is 'Siberian Garrison'.

He isn`t Markovits, Uncle George.

He was involved in intelligence, and died in a Russian jail.

Born in Germany, but fluent in Russian.

EDIT: On reflection, I haven`t worded my first post very well. When I asked "Do you know what they were?" I was referring to his exploits, not his books. Apologies for any confusion.

Edited by neverforget

Was that a Monkey or Minky ?

A monkey.

You would need a 'Lissonce' for a Minky.

Which costs a lot of 'munneh'.

Otherwise it's against the 'Luh'.

Do you have evidence for that, Dai Bach, or is it just a shot in the dark? :lol:

Ron

Excellent new subthread by seaJane

Rather an easy one I know but WbW

post-66715-0-43284600-1462824679_thumb.p

Excellent new subthread by seaJane

Rather an easy one I know but WbW

attachicon.gifwit31.png

You must be in a very generous mood this evening David, it`s Orpen by Orpen.

Hi NF

This is a good one took a good time to find, helped by your hints it is Walter Nicolai, leader of the German Secret Service 1913-1919

His first book News Agency

His second more powerful writing -Secret Powers - German military intelligence in WW1,used as a blueprint for the Nazis in WW2

John

And just before I get back to my A Level History coursework marking - an easy Who but I must admit the Whom was new to me

post-66715-0-39233400-1462825327_thumb.j

David

You must be in a very generous mood this evening David, it`s Orpen by Orpen.

I did say it was easy, but its a good opportunity to put some terrific portraits up for the Inmates' delectation

David

David you are giving us an easy time

John (Jack) Travers Cornwell VC by Ambrose McEvoy

John

Hi NF

This is a good one took a good time to find, helped by your hints it is Walter Nicolai, leader of the German Secret Service 1913-1919

His first book News Agency

His second more powerful writing -Secret Powers - German military intelligence in WW1,used as a blueprint for the Nazis in WW2

John

It is Walter Nicolai John, as you say. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Nicolai

After the Second World War, Nicolai was arrested by the Soviet NKVD, deported from Germany, and interrogated in Moscow. He died while in custody on 4 May 1947 at the Hospital of Moscow's Butyrka Prison.