The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Okay this may not fly but lets give it a go. This is part of the display at the National Portrait Gallery for their Portraits of the Great War exhibition last year. I thought it might be interesting to see how many of these 40 folk we could identify. If we treat it like a chessboard and call the rows a to d from the bottom up and the columns 1 to 10 from left to right.

To share it out I wondered if we have one of our self denying ordinances and restrict ourselves to 2 pictures for each Inmate each day. I reckon about half of them are pretty straight forward but some others might prove a bit trickier (which probably means we'll have them all by tomorrow!)

So I'll start with a couple of easy ones:

a2 is Noel Chavasse

c7 is Jack Cornwall (or more likely his brother, I gather from Ron)

post-66715-0-47808100-1462996424_thumb.j

David

Is C2 Edith Cavell?

D1 Isaac Rosenberg.

Uncle George. A wild guess: Queen Elisabeth of Belgium? My eyes are struggling to see her to be honest.

C6 Albert Ball.

Uncle George. A wild guess: Queen Elisabeth of Belgium? My eyes are struggling to see her to be honest.

No, NF. Surely you have the chap, with that heavy clue!?

Is C2 Edith Cavell?

D1 Isaac Rosenberg.

B1 is Wilfred Owen.

Identification is great - chessboard referencing less so! A to D from the bottom up. B2 Cavell, A1 Rosenberg, C1 Owen

Nice one David

My two for today

A8 Captain Flores Sandes British woman with the Serbian Army

B6 Albert Ball VC

How's that

John

Okay this may not fly but lets give it a go. This is part of the display at the National Portrait Gallery for their Portraits of the Great War exhibition last year. I thought it might be interesting to see how many of these 40 folk we could identify. If we treat it like a chessboard and call the rows a to d from the bottom up and the columns 1 to 10 from left to right.

To share it out I wondered if we have one of our self denying ordinances and restrict ourselves to 2 pictures for each Inmate each day. I reckon about half of them are pretty straight forward but some others might prove a bit trickier (which probably means we'll have them all by tomorrow!)

So I'll start with a couple of easy ones:

a2 is Noel Chavasse

c7 is Jack Cornwall (or more likely his brother, I gather from Ron)

attachicon.gifNationalPortraitGallery.jpg

David

Great idea David.

I`ll take a5 (Mata Hari) and a8 (Flora Sands).

Excellent start folks. I'll endeavour to keep score and post which references are still outstanding intermittently

UG you double booked with John so feel free to pick another.

David

Sassoon, bottom right.

A10 it is!!

NF Sandes already nabbed so you get another go too

Excellent start folks. I'll endeavour to keep score and post which references are still outstanding intermittently

UG you double booked with John so feel free to pick another.

David

Actually it was me who repeated John`s due to S.P.S again, so scrub my Flora Sands, and I`ll take d4 instead (Maria Bochkareva).

Hoping U.G`s red-faced clue will kick in soon.

• Admin

Top row 3 is Godley VC , top row 6 is Dease VC

Curses, Michelle beat me to it on Godley and Dease. A5 is Graves however.

Pete.

Have we had B3 Walter Tull?

Top row 3 is Godley VC , top row 6 is Dease VC

Curses, Michelle beat me to it on Godley and Dease. A5 is Graves however.

Pete.

Have we had B3 Walter Tull?

Thank you Michelle the heroes of Nimy Bridge

Graves and Tull are yours Pete (but at d5 and c3)

Blimey, 14 already!

David

Graves and Tull are yours Pete (but at d5 and c3)

I was looking at an Australian chess board; but if we are being all northern hemisphere about this D10 might well be Albert Jacka.

Well this is going well apart from the confusion about notation and that's probably my fault as of course I should have had the letters along the bottom and the numbers up the side.

However on this grid the bottom left is a1 the top left is d1, bottom right is a10 and the top right is d10. (I think you are now getting some idea as to why I teach History and English and not Maths!)

David

I was looking at an Australian chess board; but if we are being all northern hemisphere about this D10 might well be Albert Jacka.

And now you've had three goes when the limit for any one day is two!! My friend, I somehow doubt you were the teacher's pet!

David

PS and now you know they will all want another go!!

Sorry, I've also failed to follow the self denying ordinance about only two per day. I'll fill one chamber in the Webley and go and do the decent thing........

Pete.

Sorry UG I have missed your last posting of the gentleman with a red face, will start investigating but it's getting late. And I'm waiting for 00:01 to have another shot at the chessboard:-)

John

It's an exceedingly good clue.

So is he Kipling? And if he's 'little' how small is the lady!

And I'm waiting for 00:01 to have another shot at the chessboard:-)

John

At last! Someone on this thread who follows the rules :thumbsup: And stop sniggering at the back Owls!

David

Too many Saturday afternoon detentions for breaking the rules!

And now you've had three goes when the limit for any one day is two!! My friend, I somehow doubt you were the teacher's pet!

I've let the forum down, I've let the inmates down, but most of all I've let myself down. If I was a better and nicer person I'd be ashamed of myself. I'll limit myself to one tomorrow in an attempt to free myself from the doghouse...............................