The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Paul Nash, of course. That one has been driving me batty. It was me who put him up in WIT years ago

D8 is Private Alec Reader who enlisted underage and went over on 1/7/1916 kia High Wood, he was waiting for his release papers after family intervention. The Times and other papers carried the story as part of the 100 years start commemorations in 2014.

John

A bump for # 4896 to keep him on the current page.

This time, the non-counterfeit version: (I had attempted to clean up the rather obvious line down the middle.)

post-95959-0-78128000-1463220537_thumb.j

NF

Spurious indeed that's one Lancelot Dickinson Chapman, a fake who awarded himself the VC as well as French and Belgium high honours. Originally kicked out of the army in 1909 he re- enlisted and promptly deserted creating this persona for himself as a hero of L battery at Nery, Mons dispatch rider, saving wounded from the battlefield etc. Almost received a civic reception in a London borough. Finally caught an given 10 month hard labour.

John

NF

Spurious indeed that's one Lancelot Dickinson Chapman, a fake who awarded himself the VC as well as French and Belgium high honours. Originally kicked out of the army in 1909 he re- enlisted and promptly deserted creating this persona for himself as a hero of L battery at Nery, Mons dispatch rider, saving wounded from the battlefield etc. Almost received a civic reception in a London borough. Finally caught an given 10 month hard labour.

John

That sounds about right John. Back to the chessboard then.

Another diplomatic diversion from the chessboard then.

Who is this???post-95959-0-98617900-1463221267_thumb.j

He is pictured alongside Haking and Foch.

Edited by neverforget

Paul Nash, of course. That one has been driving me batty. It was me who put him up in WIT years ago

You and me both. To labour the cricketing analogies it's like looking at your fellow slip fielder as the ball passes equidistant between you and speeds to the boundary. You played that one with soft hands NF.

Pete

Thanks Pete. It must be all the washing up I do..

It's not Truman, Dai.

Truman finished the war with the rank of major, and so my man would have outranked him.

Another diplomatic diversion from the chessboard then.

Who is this???attachicon.gifyd.jpg

He is pictured alongside Haking and Dunant

Apologies!

Edited, as a Freudian slip caused me to post the wrong Frenchie's name.

So we have my Yank, Haking and Foch.

As penance for my balls up, I will let on that the picture was taken in Spa.

Chessboard

Struggling with the photo but D2 is possibly Rifleman Haribal Thapa of the 1st King George's Own Gurkha Rifles (1 GR) who was in action during the defence of Givenchy 18-22 Dec. 1914 just 3 weeks after landing. Haribal was taken as a PoW and died in Klein Wittenberg Old Cemetery Berlin on Jan 24 1915.

Bit of conjecture on my behalf, it might just be a generic picture of a Gurkha

John

Apologies!

Edited, as a Freudian slip caused me to post the wrong Frenchie's name.

So we have my Yank, Haking and Foch.

As penance for my balls up, I will let on that the picture was taken in Spa.

General Charles Rhodes?

General Charles Rhodes?

General Rhodes it is U.G.

Well played despite the right royal pig's ear I made of it.

To add to my incompetence; he was actually pictured with Haking and Nudant, so I was closer before I said Foch.

I hope it's just due to tiredness and I'm not losing my marbles. Should have been sleeping today in preparation for tonight's nightshift, not chasing elusive chessboard pieces.

Incidentally, I think I may be checkmated there now.

Nearly there on the chessboard.

I have found b3 - he is Stoker Petty Officer Harold Jordan

Three others appear, as we suspected, to be generic images.

a3 is "A German soldier in a makeshift gas mask 1915"

post-66715-0-89165600-1463239843_thumb.j

c6 is (as Pete suggested) "A German POW"

post-66715-0-10589500-1463239859_thumb.j

D2 is "A Gurkha on the Western Front"

post-66715-0-09055800-1463239874_thumb.j

I believe that leaves only b10 and c5.

David

So to confirm the only two missing are these gentlemen

post-66715-0-17504300-1463240640_thumb.j post-66715-0-06369000-1463240660_thumb.j

It was suggested b10 might be David Jones, but I'm not at all sure post-66715-0-47048500-1463240822_thumb.p

David

Edit: I'm hopeless with cap badges (even when they are in focus!) but could this be a Welsh Regiment badge?

I`ve been looking at underage soldiers, and come up with this fellow Ivor Evans, who enlisted at the age of 15. for d10: http://www.1914-1918.net/leinster.htm

Late for work now, but one has to get one`s priorities right of course.

Here's an interesting chap. When he enlisted as a private soldier his teeth were in such a poor condition they had to be removed. He became a Major, DSO. Who is he ? ? ?

post-108430-0-36613800-1463242210_thumb.

I`ve been looking at underage soldiers, and come up with this fellow Ivor Evans, who enlisted at the age of 15. for d10: http://www.1914-1918.net/leinster.htm

Late for work now, but one has to get one`s priorities right of course.

Excellent spot NF! (Hope all goes well at work)

post-66715-0-75544600-1463243124_thumb.j post-66715-0-52125400-1463243139_thumb.j

Enlisted at 15, dead at 18, and goodness knows what horrors he saw in between poor lad

David

Inmates

Well I think we might want to draw stumps on the chessboard. If anyone stumbles upon c5 in the future then all to the good.

So here are the final results

post-66715-0-74679300-1463245330_thumb.j

Row D - Geoffrey Malins, 'A Gurkha on the Western Front', Sydney Godley VC, Maria Bochkareva, Robert Graves, Maurice Dease VC, Sir William Orpen, Pte. Alec Reader, Shamhamad Khan VC, Albert Jacka VC

Row C - Wilfrid Owen, William Leefe Robinson, Walter Tull, Manfred von Richthofen, ???, 'A German POW', Jack Cornwell VC, John McCrae, Elsie Knocker, Roy Inwood VC

Row B - Leslie Andrew VC, Edith Cavell, Petty Officer Harold Jordan, Sir Harold Gillies, Harry Farr, Albert Ball VC, Lcpl Harry Van Tromp, Kubir Thapa VC, Pte. William Tickle, Pte. Ivor Evans

Row A - Isaac Rosenberg, Noel Chavasse VC and Bar, 'A German soldier 1915', Lt. Maxwell Dalton Barrows, Mata Hari, Capt. Billie Nevill, Paul Nash, Flora Sandes, Filip Konowal VC, Siegfried Sassoon

Excellent sleuthing as always Ladies and Gentlemen :thumbsup:

David

Whose medals is the young man in the foreground wearing?

post-66715-0-73125200-1463246913_thumb.j

David

UG

I think I recognise them all as Germans to me, it's the uniform that gave it away!

John