The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Jackson - because he was the only other WW1 First Lord, but I don't know what he looked like.

I have a feeling that Fisher should be there. Dead centre, sitting at the back immediately left of Beattie? If it is, it's a very passive looking Fisher.

No that's Cecil Burney. Fisher is another notable absentee. Whether he was just so persona non grata by then. No Jackson either.

David

Is the man with the beard to the left of Jellicoe, Madden?

Is the man with the beard to the left of Jellicoe, Madden?

It is. Interesting chap. Did a Collingwood and was constantly at sea. No shore appointments for the duration of the war, I think the only one of these folk to which that applies

David

Well having spent some time reading, with mounting incredulity, events on a Gallipoli thread where some of the good and the great of this Forum engaged in an increasingly surreal debate with a man who made the arguments of the Flat Earth Society and the people who say the moon landing was faked look cogent, it is good to get back to the calmer waters of WIT.

We are in fact not just calmer but becalmed at the moment. Currently outstanding are Knotty's finely drawn officer, khaki's splendid bust and a handful of naval top brass. The latter has run its course and I will publish a list of names shortly

David

Well having spent some time reading, with mounting incredulity, events on a Gallipoli thread where some of the good and the great of this Forum engaged in an increasingly surreal debate with a man who made the arguments of the Flat Earth Society and the people who say the moon landing was faked look cogent, it is good to get back to the calmer waters of WIT.

David

It was a surreal event, worthy of its own chapter in Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds.

We are in fact not just calmer but becalmed at the moment. Currently outstanding are Knotty's finely drawn officer, khaki's splendid bust and a handful of naval top brass. The latter has run its course and I will publish a list of names shortly

David

I missed out on the surreality (if there is such a word, maybe I've just invented it; hey Shakespeare could do it). I don't sense that my life is significantly emptier for that. I certainly haven't got a clue about the outstanding gentlemen (no change there then).

I ran my fourth WIT? quiz for the gang at the over 75's today and got away with a lucky draw. I thought Bela Lugosi would slow them up but not a chance, and putting in Tommy Handley for people who actually heard ITMA on the radio was an own goal worthy of Eric Dier. Many thanks for all the suggestions and advice from my fellow inmates. I'll follow NF's suggestion and trawl the mighty archive of identification that we have for even more fiendish faces.

We've talked about doing WIT? live before and it's harder than you would think; I think it is something to do with uncomfortable silences.

Pete.

Here are the answers on the Naval Painting. 14 of the 22 pictured fought at Jutland.

post-66715-0-25074100-1464448334_thumb.j

From the left of the picture they are:

Alexander-Sinclair, Cowan, Brock, Goodenough, Arbuthnot, Browning, Craddock, Hood, de Robeck, Pakenham, Tyrwhitt, Keyes, Burney, Beatty, Napier, Mountbatten, Evan-Thomas, Sturdee, Leveson, Madden, Jellicoe, Wemyss

David

Just a reminder of our two outstanding WITs (I think we can safely say clues are needed!)

post-66715-0-41511300-1464448750_thumb.j post-66715-0-29472500-1464448767_thumb.j

David

My candidate had grave concerns over his duties but he left his mark all over Europe and beyond.

John

My candidate had grave concerns over his duties but he left his mark all over Europe and beyond.

John

Which suggests Fabian Ware but he is much too young

Is the bust Hemingway?

Is the bust Hemingway?

Beat me to it sJ, I think you've got it

David

David

You are in the right area

John

I'm puzzled. Everyone seems too old to be your chap. It's not MacReady, Baker, Blomfield or Lutyens, and I can't think of anyone else central to the war graves debate

David

I'm puzzled. Everyone seems too old to be your chap. It's not MacReady, Baker, Blomfield or Lutyens, and I can't think of anyone else central to the war graves debate

David

David

You've got him by default although you dismissed him,it is an early sketch by the artist Lieutenant Thomas Percival Anderson A.S.C., of Sir (Cecil Frederick) Nevil Macready,I think the likeness to the NPG photograph is pretty good

post-105748-0-38702900-1464475315_thumb. post-105748-0-43885100-1464475511_thumb.

John

It certainly is. I've only seen pictures of 'Make Ready' as an old man. Schoolboy error Ridgus!

David

You live and learn - I had no idea he served.

He was a Red Cross ambulance driver in Italy, and was wounded in action. See his book "Death in the Afternoon."

Ron

Thanks Ron.

post-33278-0-80042300-1464514832_thumb.j

One of many who gave up their residence so that it could become a convalescent home.

Siegfried Sassoon described his lodgings as 'very much like paradise', but a former resident later recalled seeing a notice to the effect that "Officers are requested not to throw custard at the walls."