The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Oxford MA hood, anyway.

Ron

Principal of Somerville College, as well as Royal Holloway Collage London and Bedford College London, during her career?

John

Principal of Somerville College, as well as Royal Holloway Collage London and Bedford College London, during her career?

John

Certainly the first, John.

MA granted 26 October 1920 if I recall correctly.

PS nice picture, MB!

post-33278-0-02848800-1464530150_thumb.j

You are all obviously circling round the right name but nobody has actually given it yet!

Apologies for going awol. Just back from two weeks in a woodland lodge in Devon.

Unfortunately I'm straight back to work tonight, so won't be posting any candidates just at the moment, but normal service will shortly be restored.

Very interesting to catch up on the play in my absence by the way.

Sorry should have said Dame Emily Penrose

John

Correct!

Jane

Was she related to John Gielgud, by any chance? I can't help seeing a strong resemblance!

Ron

Not that I can discover, Ron!

"A person of many accomplishments (a fine needlewoman, talented actress, and intrepid mountaineer), she was markedly lacking in certain social skills: stories abounded among undergraduates of her terrifying attempts at small talk." (ODNB)

I should have said: the nurse on the left hand side of this picture is resting her hand on the windowsill of what was later, for three years, my room.

"A person of many accomplishments (a fine needlewoman, talented actress, and intrepid mountaineer), she was markedly lacking in certain social skills: stories abounded among undergraduates of her terrifying attempts at small talk." (ODNB)

As an equally poor practitioner of small talk, I like her already!

:hypocrite:

I should have said: the nurse on the left hand side of this picture is resting her hand on the windowsill of what was later, for three years, my room.

What an idyllic setting; reminds me of Brideshead Revisited.

Pete.

Not half so civilised in my day, alas!

What an idyllic setting; reminds me of Brideshead Revisited.

Pete.

But Presumably not the incident when Sebastian threw up through a downstairs window like the one in the picture!

David

Nice to have you back UG. Is it somebody called von Erde?

David

UG

I hope that it is the German born General of the Swiss Army Ulrich Willie,if it is i can add his name and piccy to my database as a new addition for me.

John

UG

I hope that it is the German born General of the Swiss Army Ulrich Willie,if it is i can add his name and piccy to my database as a new addition for me.

John

His name was not Willie, no.

Nice to have you back UG. Is it somebody called von Erde?

David

No, he is not somebody called von Erde.

If I try Wille without the spelling mistake would I be closer?

John

Accuracy is of the first importance here on WiT. Yes, the General of Switzerland Conrad Ulrich Wille. Wille too was a stickler for precision.

My copy of 'Boys' Bumper Book of Stereotypes, Standardisations and Slurs' (1935), (from Penguin's celebrated 'Alliteration and Assonance for Adolescents' series), tells me that the Swiss are a "proud, precise, petty, pedantic people". Wille, though like all Swiss he reviled cliché and shibboleth, fitted this characterisation like a glove.