The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Accuracy is of the first importance here on WiT. Yes, the General of Switzerland Conrad Ulrich Wille. Wille too was a stickler for precision.

My copy of 'Boys' Bumper Book of Stereotypes, Standardisations and Slurs' (1935), (from Penguin's celebrated 'Alliteration and Assonance for Adolescents' series), tells me that the Swiss are are "proud, precise, petty, pedantic people". Wille, though like all Swiss he reviled cliché and shibboleth, fitted this characterisation like a glove.

Is it available via the forum's link to Amazon/Abe books? It sounds just up my street. A classic post UG; it had me going for all of 24.744 seconds.

Pete.

Is this Emperor Karl I?

post-66715-0-94321800-1464900670_thumb.j

And this is why I thought it might be him.

Is this Emperor Karl I?

attachicon.gifwit50.jpg

And this is why I thought it might be him.

No, but that also is a very good hat. My chap was not an Emperor, nor was he a King, but at one stage in his remarkable career he was his country's head of state.

No, but that also is a very good hat. My chap was not an Emperor, nor was he a King, but at one stage in his remarkable career he was his country's head of state.

Blast! That rules out my guess of Dr Zhivago then :(

Omar_Sharif_Dr_Zhi_3371349b.jpg

Mustafa Kamal Ataturk.

khaki

No. My chap was his country's Regent for a short period. Later, he was the head of state.

Blast! That rules out my guess of Dr Zhivago then :(

Omar_Sharif_Dr_Zhi_3371349b.jpg

But, on the plus side, that is a very good hat.

UG

Is it Carl Mannerheim the Regent of Finland?

John

Mannerheim, yes. A general in the Imperial Russian army during the GW; Regent, then President of Finland; scourge of the Bolsheviks. "The cosmopolitan Marshal of Finland cut a figure every bit as complex and as contradictory as Winston Churchill, his British equivalent and cavalier contemporary."

Mannerheim: "The man of arms who turned his life into an exquisite work of art ... He spoke six languages, served the last of the Tsars, fought the Japanese, routed the Reds during the Finnish civil war, squared up to Stalin and played cat and mouse with Hitler."

He is said to have lit a cigar in front of Hitler, chiefly in order to annoy him.

"The closest thing there is to a Finnish national shrine."

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2005/apr/09/1

Cripes! I really should have got that one - I only did some work on Mannerheim, Baden-Powell and the Scouting movement a few weeks back. :blush:

2016-04-24 09.43.18.jpg

This photo is from 22 Aug 1933 during the Scouting Peace Cruise. See this topic

Good one Uncle George.

At first, I thought it might be this fellow, and seeing as he doesn`t appear to have graced our pages as yet,

Who is this Bon Chapeau ???post-95959-0-97407900-1464983773_thumb.j

Well as we seem to be going through our big hat phase, how about this one.

post-66715-0-53649700-1464988122_thumb.j

This appeared in WIT Mark 1. He is one of those characters we never bothered to post as an adult as it would have been gone in seconds. Although from memory this one lasted barely any longer.

David

post-66715-0-90374300-1464988459_thumb.j

Inexplicably WIT is suddenly very popular with the Ukrainian Division

David

Well I remember Billy boy from ye olde WIT days, but I`m stumped on the Ukranians so far.

As an aside; the Ukranians as such fought on both sides during the war, so that helps narrow it down a bit :wacko:

Hi Guys

Not able to participate as normal, I have an aged mother in law in hospital after an operation so wifi not good, having to do it in shifts

neverforget, your chap I believe is German General Otto Liman von Sanders commander of the Turkish 1st Corp

David your young man is William "Billy" Bishop VC, the group of Cossacks have me stumped.

John

David your young man is William "Billy" Bishop VC, the group of Cossacks have me stumped.

John

John

Billy Bishop it is. The Cossacks are not for naming, it was just an attempted joke on my part about our current millinery sub theme. I'll get my coat

David

PS Hope all goes well with the poorly relative. A stressful time for your wife I'm sure.

Hi Guys

Not able to participate as normal, I have an aged mother in law in hospital after an operation so wifi not good, having to do it in shifts

neverforget, your chap I believe is German General Otto Liman von Sanders commander of the Turkish 1st Corp

John

Correct on both counts John.

I hope all goes well with your mother-in-law.

Well having failed my audition for cover writer for Private Eye, I'll revert to WIT archivist. These five pictures were posted with the two part question - "Who are they, and what two things do they have in common?"

post-66715-0-97335000-1464990555_thumb.j post-66715-0-70790300-1464990572_thumb.j post-66715-0-86051100-1464990585_thumb.j post-66715-0-23639500-1464990600_thumb.p post-66715-0-12795800-1464990620_thumb.p

David

The Cossacks are not for naming, it was just an attempted joke on my part about our current millinery sub theme. I'll get my coat

David

Don`t forget your hat! post-95959-0-81256600-1464990662_thumb.j

Not a scouser as far as I know. (Sorry Pete me ole mate. Tee hee.)

Well having failed my audition for cover writer for Private Eye, I'll revert to WIT archivist. These five pictures were posted with the two part question - "Who are they, and what two things do they have in common?"

attachicon.gifwit45.jpg attachicon.gifwit46.jpg attachicon.gifwit47.jpg attachicon.gifwit48.png attachicon.gifwit49.png

David

Good one David.

I`m not sure if I should offer a part answer or not, but I recognise three of them, all actors of course, and all served in WW1?

Good one David.

I`m not sure if I should offer a part answer or not, but I recognise three of them, all actors of course, and all served in WW1?

They were and they did. But the second connection is more specific

David

They were and they did. But the second connection is more specific

David

I thought there might be more to it than the obvious link I picked up on. Were they all in the Artists Rifles by any chance?

Pic 1 Rains. Pic 2 Rathbone. Pic 4 Marshall.

EDIT>

Scrub the Artists Rifles, I believe it was the London Scottish Regiment.

Edited by neverforget

Pic 3 Ronald Colman.