The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Excellent NF you have four out of five and the link. It is quite an extraordinary coincidence that so many future Hollywood stars were in the same regiment. It was me who posted these first time around having stumbled upon the link quite by accident. Incredibly Marshall lost a leg in the war (shot by a sniper at Arras in 1917) and yet still played the romantic lead in a succession of films in the 20s and 30s. Rathbone had a 'good' war, winning the MC. His reckless bravery in the last months of the war is attributed to his anguish and thirst for revenge after his younger brother was killed.

I was really surprised by Colman, I think because I was always associate him with the 1930s (Lost Horizon is one of my favourite films). He was an Old Contemptible shot in the ankle at Messines in October 1914 and invalided out. Apparently he walked with a limp for the rest of his life, a fact that he and Hollywood Directors disguised successfully in dozens of films. I tried, without success, to find a picture of him in the army but at least found one which was less than instantly recognisable and without the famous 'tache.

post-66715-0-99567900-1464993081_thumb.j

The epitome of a matinee idol.

The fifth actor was Cedric Hardwicke.

David

Edit: I forgot to mention that Claude Rains had limited sight in one eye due to a gas attack and went from Private to Captain by 1918. Goodness me, actors had a hinterland in those days!

I was really surprised by Colman, I think because I was always associate him with the 1930s (Lost Horizon is one of my favourite films). He was an Old Contemptible shot in the ankle at Messines in October 1914 and invalided out. Apparently he walked with a limp for the rest of his life, a fact that he and Hollywood Directors disguised successfully in dozens of films. I tried, without success, to find a picture of him in the army but at

!

Ronald Colman is also in one of MY favourite films, GW themed, and like 'Lost Horizon' based on a novel by James Hilton: 'Random Harvest'. I mentioned it on the Forum here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=232431#entry2316155

post-108430-0-31271200-1465035116_thumb.

And of course we can complete a James Hilton Great War themed trilogy with 'Goodbye Mr Chips' starring Robert Donat. Although an acting contemporary Donat was much younger than Colman and did not serve in the war.

David

PS the original name of the US Presidential retreat Camp David was 'Shangri-la' after the Lost Horizon Utopia

It's interesting to describe Colman as an Old Contemptible as he was a territorial with the London Scottish, they arrived in September and fought bravely but unsuccesfully to hold Messines on Halloween 1914. I'd always thought of the Old Contemptible as being the regulars but it's a moot point. On an equally pedantic (or is it fastidious?) note, Rathbone started out with the London Scottish before transferring to the 2/10th King's Liverpool; the second Liverpool Scottish where he made his name.

Robert Donat's real name was Friedrich Robert Donath; I did a variation on WiT? live for my chums in the over 75's yesterday using celebrities' real names and baby pictures and I was going to use Donat's name. Would you believe that my mate Richie recognised a two year old Stan Laurel by his ears? I did my original two WiT? quizzes for the Altzheimers groups on Tuesday and Wednesday and they were red hot on the faces too. Anthony Eden slowed them up as he did with the over 75's which intrigued me.

Pete.

P.S. Hopefully I'll be able to recognise a photo before too long, I'm on such a bad run I've contemplated a Scooby Do ending once or twice in desperation.

This man was not an actor. Despite this, he did have this very good hat. Who is he ? ? ?

(And in a refreshing development, this photograph is not, as far as I can see, to be found in the EL. We shall see how long he lasts.)

post-108430-0-84516600-1465052867_thumb.

Good one Uncle George.

At first, I thought it might be this fellow, and seeing as he doesn`t appear to have graced our pages as yet,

Who is this Bon Chapeau ???attachicon.gif20160416_193719.jpg

Otto Liman Von Sanders? (If it is, I am surprised we haven't had him before.)

Roger M

It's interesting to describe Colman as an Old Contemptible as he was a territorial with the London Scottish, they arrived in September and fought bravely but unsuccesfully to hold Messines on Halloween 1914. I'd always thought of the Old Contemptible as being the regulars but it's a moot point..

An interesting point, this. The memorial to the Old Contemptibles in Westminster Abbey, which bears the badge of the Old Contemptibles Association, is inscribed thus:

"Remember THE OLD CONTEMPTIBLES The British Expeditionary Force which served in Flanders within range of the enemy mobile artillery between 5 August and 22 November 1914 ... "

The comment was directed, as I understand it, toward "General French's contemptible little army". Which would include the TF, it would seem to me.

An interesting point, this. The memorial to the Old Contemptibles in Westminster Abbey, which bears the badge of the Old Contemptibles Association, is inscribed thus:

"Remember THE OLD CONTEMPTIBLES The British Expeditionary Force which served in Flanders within range of the enemy mobile artillery between 5 August and 22 November 1914 ... "

The comment was directed, as I understand it, toward "General French's contemptible little army". Which would include the TF, it would seem to me.

Ronald Colman, Old Contemptible. Ticks all the boxes as far as I am concerned. Nice one UG.

Pete.

Otto Liman Von Sanders? (If it is, I am surprised we haven't had him before.)

Roger M

It is indeed Roger, but knotty had already identified him. I too was surprised to find that he hadn't previously appeared.

I do have one still outstanding though; my Siberian shooter on post 5099.

This man was not an actor. Despite this, he did have this very good hat. Who is he ? ? ?

(And in a refreshing development, this photograph is not, as far as I can see, to be found in the EL. We shall see how long he lasts.)

A very good tactic, which I have also employed with most illuminating results.

It's a bit difficult to make out your picture. Is it Eden by any chance?

I do have one still outstanding though; my Siberian shooter on post 5099.

Sorry NF - he went under the radar. Is he Mikhail Frunze, Bolshevik Big Cheese during the Siberian Intervention?

A very good tactic, which I have also employed with most illuminating results.

It's a bit difficult to make out your picture. Is it Eden by any chance?

No. Do not be deceived by his Homburg and officer material air. (But he WAS an officer.)

Look at the unsoldierly appearance of the men he's inspecting. Blimey - they look more like a bunch of navvies.

post-108430-0-89979000-1465072233_thumb.

Sorry NF - he went under the radar. Is he Mikhail Frunze, Bolshevik Big Cheese during the Siberian Intervention?

Not Frunze or anyone so grand. This chap never rose above n.c.o, which is the remarkable thing about him. Only officers were usually so decorated.

No. Do not be deceived by his Homburg and officer material air. (But he WAS an officer.)

Look at the unsoldierly appearance of the men he's inspecting. Blimey - they look more like a bunch of navvies.

Is it Major Norton Griffiths?

Not Frunze or anyone so grand. This chap never rose above n.c.o, which is the remarkable thing about him. Only officers were usually so decorated.

Is he Leo Osnas?

Is it Major Norton Griffiths?

No ...

Here's a clue: my chap was a member of Ll.G's Stage Army.

Is he Leo Osnas?

Not him either I'm afraid.

No ...

Here's a clue: my chap was a member of Ll.G's Stage Army.

Another guess for #5108: Captain Freddie Guest?

Another guess for #5108: Captain Freddie Guest?

A very good guess. Looks a lot like him. But no.

#5115 contains a heavy clue.

I've been on the case with your chap U.G. A.S.C. Coupons and L.G's memoirs have all failed me so far. I'm not ready to give up yet though.

I feel it's time to reveal that #5099 is Sergeant Alexy Strahov. Knight of the Holy George Cross, due to receiving the award at all four levels. Very rare for a non-officer.

I've been on the case with your chap U.G. A.S.C. Coupons and L.G's memoirs have all failed me so far. I'm not ready to give up yet though.

I feel it's time to reveal that #5099 is Sergeant Alexy Stravinsky. Knight of the Holy George Cross, due to receiving the award at all four levels. Very rare for a non-officer.

Your man has been very elusive, NF. [EDIT: he remains elusive even now that I know his name!]

My chap was, like WSC: a Coaly Lib MP, stood as a Constitutionalist in the 1924 election, and was a Lieutenant Colonel during the GW. Unlike WSC, his father was a plasterer, he learned to read and write while working as a railway navvy, and was a Trade Union leader.

UG

I think your chap is Lt Col. John Ward, who worked as a navvy on the Southern railways and the Manchester Ship Canal . He joined up as an officer of the Middlesex Regt. and his contacts led him to form 5 labour battalions before being given command of the 25th Pioneer Battalion Middlesex Regiment which recieved the nickname the Diehards.

John

UG

I think your chap is Lt Col. John Ward, who worked as a navvy on the Southern railways and the Manchester Ship Canal . He joined up as an officer of the Middlesex Regt. and his contacts led him to form 5 labour battalions before being given command of the 25th Pioneer Battalion Middlesex Regiment which recieved the nickname the Diehards.

John

Indeed. He raised and commanded the "Navvies' Battalion" - the Diehards. He also had this exemplary hat:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ward_(trade_unionist)

post-108430-0-04700100-1465149932_thumb.

Thanks UG

Several hours stuck in a hospital with patchy reception and the GWF running like treacle, I had to wait till I came home to answer.

Neverforget, I was nowhere near with your Sgt Stravinsky, nice one