The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

He is Pershing's son Francis Warren, whose son was killed in Vietnam.

Indeed so Uncle George. Well played.

Another son of a famous father here. Who is he? Or perhaps I should ask, who is he said to be ? ? ?

Good luck with this!

post-108430-0-80539400-1465824319_thumb.

Another son of a famous father here. Who is he? Or perhaps I should ask, who is he said to be ? ? ?

Good luck with this!

Is it Germain Foch?

Is it Germaine Foch?

No. The father was a very private ('detached' is a better word) man. His memoirs famously give little away about his private life (apparently - I haven't read them).

Was I correct in thinking that he is French?

Was I correct in thinking that he is French?

No. "Joffre may have been inarticulate, Haig too, and Petain repoussant and imperious to his entourage, but we feel we know something about them as human beings. About [this man] we know absolutely nothing." (This describes the father.)

Ludendorff's stepson,Erich Pernet?

Ludendorff's stepson,Erich Pernet?

No, the father is not Ludendorff. "One of his biographers dubbed him 'The Lonely General', but his was a loneliness deliberately nurtured. He had no intimates, no confidantes, no coterie [...] Even [his] war memoirs are written in a coldly impersonal third person ... "

Fritz von Falkenhayn. Son of Erich.

Strangely reported killed in 1915, but apparently survived the war.

Fritz von Falkenhayn. Son of Erich.

Strangely reported killed in 1915, but apparently survived the war.

Falkenhayn is indeed the father. He had "none of the popular appeal of Hindenburg and Ludendorff, so that when at last his potent influence over the Kaiser began to wane, he was finished. He guarded his thoughts like the Golden Fleece, repelling would-be Argonauts with a devastating cold sarcasm."

All quotes from Alistair Horne's 'The Price of Glory'.

NF - from where do you get that his son Fritz was reported killed in 1915?

Falkenhayn is indeed the father. He had "none of the popular appeal of Hindenburg and Ludendorff, so that when at last his potent influence over the Kaiser began to wane, he was finished. He guarded his thoughts like the Golden Fleece, repelling would-be Argonauts with a devastating cold sarcasm."

All quotes from Alistair Horne's 'The Price of Glory'.

NF - from where do you get that his son Fritz was reported killed in 1915?

Wasn't sure if we were looking for a German or Frenchman at first, but when you discounted the French connection I did a search for bereaved German Generals

, and found Ludendorff of course, (I remember posting his stepsons ages ago, and getting slated for saying that it was an easy one.)

Also listed was Falkenhayn, and there the confusion began.

On his wiki page there are no children mentioned, although other sources say he had a son who survived.

Then there were a few newspaper articles like this one:

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=NZH19150115.2.68

It's hard to know what exactly is fact amongst all that. I did read along the way that his memoirs were written in the third person, so that helped too.

Thanks NF. There is some mystery here. Horne tells us, "Falkenhayn was born in 1861, nearly a decade after Joffre. Twenty-five years later he married, and this is about all that is known of his private life."

My source for the image in post #5156 is a 1915 work of journalism, which reports the death of "Captain von Falkenhayn, son of the German Chief of Staff". No christian name is given. And I see that is also the case in your newspaper report. (They are clearly reports of the same incident: in my report Capt. von F is the observer in a German plane brought down "just above Amiens".)

Is this a report of the death of Fritz? It is not: as you say, Fritz survived the war. Was this was another son? I have not been able to say. It seems there is hardly anything published about Falkenhayn's private life. A search online has not revealed how many sons he had: indeed, the search revealed that others are confused by this - an inconclusive debate took place on the 'Axis History Forum'.

So the question remains: who is this?

Very interesting. I'm determined to see if I can uncover anything emphatic, though I suspect that I will be chasing my tail as it were.

I can't remember where I gleaned the name Fritz from, so I'll start trawling through my search history. I remember finding the axis forum you mentioned, plus a couple of pictures, and I found a lengthy piece about the Red Baron, which featured Fritz quite extensively. It's amazing how many pages you visit during the course of a search.

I'll be back in due course if I find anything useful.

According to one website young Falkenhayn had a sister, Erika, who lived until 1974. No mention of a brother

David

Edit: And here she is

post-66715-0-57008000-1465852797_thumb.j

Curiouser and curiouser. On the Aerodrome website Fritz's death is given as 1973

And here is a picture apparently of him in 1929 when he was a businessman

post-66715-0-41292600-1465853480_thumb.j

David

Hi all

Not been very active with other things but my little contribution to this interesting character is that his full name is, allegedly, Fritz Georg Adalbert Max Emil Sebastian von Falkenhayn, born September 27, 1890 at Oldenburg. I have is death also recorded in 1973 at Ascona Switzerland.

Gleaned all of this from Ancestry and Geni, there maybe a decent pinch of salt to be added.

See you after the upgrade

John

I'm struggling with this new tablet thingy, and haven't really got to grips with it yet. I think I'll have to post these links one at a time as I haven't worked out yet how to keep more than one page open.

http://guns-gas-trenches.tumblr.com/post/113552935429/manfred-von-richthofen-and-fritz-von-falkenhayn

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_von_Falkenhayn

These clips are from 'Great Deeds of the Great War' (edited by T.P. O'Connor) of February 1915. The article is by one Draycot M. Dell who (I learn online) would appear to be the author of a number of novels of doubtful quality.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

We seem to have lost all of our pictures. Hopefully this is just a transient phase while the new system beds in as it were. 

I see that the Falkenhayn mystery is still ongoing. I can`t find any biographies on the man at all. Very strange. To go back to U.G`s quote about them not knowing anything about him; it would seem that 100 years on we`re none the wiser really. 

27 minutes ago, neverforget said:

We seem to have lost all of our pictures. Hopefully this is just a transient phase while the new system beds in as it were. 

Otherwise it's a bit of a showstopper!

Looks like pictures are now back, so it must be on with the show:lol:

John

Interest in this nanomystery (viz, the Falkenhayn identity) would appear to have waned/disappered; eclipsed, perhaps, by the upgrading carryon. But, has this the makings of a minor WiT coup - the identifying of a hitherto masked Falkenhayn son? Or was it a simple mistake/misidentification made in the fog?

I see that William Shirer, he of 'Rise and Fall of the Third Reich', understood that Richard von Falkenhayn, one-time husband of Benita von Falkenhayn (beheaded in 1935 after being found guilty of espionage) was the son of Erich (see Steve Wick's 'The Long Night [2011]). But this takes us nowhere: Richard is named elsewhere as a distant relative of Erich; and anyway, he would seem to have survived the war.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benita_von_Falkenhayn

The OP on the 'Axis History Forum' thread that some of us have seen mentions a Robert von F. as Erich's oldest son: but Robert soon disappears from the thread, and is nowhere else to be seen:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=127110

I think what makes this interesting is Erich's withdrawn personality and the scarcity of information about his private life (as Alistair Horne tells us).

But of couse it may be that this isn't really interesting at all ...