The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

It was directly aimed at her and, it is thought, specifically with her poem 'Who's for the game?' In mind. It's a shame really because after all she was only reflecting the patriotism of the early days of the war. Her poem is no more out of touch with Owen's view than Sassoon's 'Absolution', or Julian Grenfell's 'Into Battle' - but the former changed his tune and the latter was killed so escape opprobrium.

Like every other Eng. Lit. teacher in the country I do teach it as a contrast with Dulce, but I do at least don my historian's hat to put it into context 

David

If I might offer one more lady poet. Quite an extraordinary lady who is well known for delving into an area that perhaps we shouldn`t go. 

Commendable for her war effort in both wars. qg.jpg

Well I never knew that, it adds even more to my admiration for the Woodside station master's son. I don't know if any of the other inmates is familiar with a drinking establishment called The Albion in Chester but amount the the amazing number of WW1 items on the walls is a piece of patriotic doggerel of a similar ilk. I'd transcribe it if it wasn't so awful.

Pete.

P.S. This thread is the classical education wot I never got. Not much call for poetry down pit.

12 minutes ago, neverforget said:

If I might offer one more lady poet. Quite an extraordinary lady who is well known for delving into an area that perhaps we shouldn`t go. 

Commendable for her war effort in both wars. qg.jpg

This is Mary Borden. A remarkable lady indeed. Funnily enough I'd been thinking about her this week as there has been so much about In Parenthesis whizzing about the Forum. Although I'm not suggesting it's quite up their with that extraordinary work, her book 'The Forbidden Zone' does do that same trick of mixing memoir, prose and poetic technique together with devastating force. 

Long overdue a rediscovery 

David

10 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

This is Mary Borden. A remarkable lady indeed. Funnily enough I'd been thinking about her this week as there has been so much about In Parenthesis whizzing about the Forum. Although I'm not suggesting it's quite up their with that extraordinary work, her book 'The Forbidden Zone' does do that same trick of mixing memoir, prose and poetic technique together with devastating force. 

Long overdue a rediscovery 

David

Spot on, David. An admirably uncompromising woman, and artist. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Borden

Also mistress, and then wife of Spears. 

To see in David`s 60th:th.jpg

No clues apart from the above.........

Okay then, he was a schoolmaster, and an outstandingly brave one at that. 

Thank you NF, just started searching again and ding-dong came up with 2nd Lt Donald Simpson Bell VC.

John

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Thank you NF, just started searching again and ding-dong came up with 2nd Lt Donald Simpson Bell VC.

John

Doesn't ring true for this one though, John, but you have stumbled across another clue to his other position in civvy street.

The V.C. fits too.

My next submission would therefore be from the same regiment (Sherwood Foresters) Lt Col The Reverend Bernard William Vann VC,MC & bar, Croix de Guerre, a very gallant officer, who originally signed on as a private in the Artists Rifles on 31/8/14 and was promptly promoted to 2Lt in the SF on 2/9/1914, once his "credentials" were scrutinised.

Is it Tom Adlam VC, nf?

David

24 minutes ago, Knotty said:

My next submission would therefore be from the same regiment (Sherwood Foresters) Lt Col The Reverend Bernard William Vann VC,MC & bar, Croix de Guerre, a very gallant officer, who originally signed on as a private in the Artists Rifles on 31/8/14 and was promptly promoted to 2Lt in the SF on 2/9/1914, once his "credentials" were scrutinised.

You have him John, well played. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Vann

23 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Is it Tom Adlam VC, nf?

David

John just beat you to it there David. Football`s "forgotten V.C."

http://www.footballandthefirstworldwar.org/bernard-vann-vc/

http://www.rushdenheritage.co.uk/war/Vann-VC.html

Kind of you on my birthday but of course not only did John beat me to it but he got it right and I got it wrong!

Nf, David,

WIT is back up and running again!

Happy birthday again David, sorry, but at least I haven't blown out your candles :whistle:

John

Off out now to a birthday bash in Great Bedwyn so no more till tomorrow for me.

Definitely Bernard William Vann VC, well known figure to all Sherwood Foresters and one of the VC's that is not in the Regimental Museum, still with the family I believe.

It's quiet, too quiet on our favourite thread. So as tumbleweed rolls across he vistas of WIT, I offer a fairly straightforward WAIWA from Frank Richards

"'God strike me pink, Dick, it would have done your eyes good to have seen young ............ In that stunt. It was a bloody treat to see the way he took the lead. If he don't get the Victoria Cross for this stunt I'm a bloody Dutchman; he thoroughly earned it this morning'"

But he didn't get a medal of any sort for this 'stunt'. For a bonus point, what was the reason for this according to a famous writer?

David

Hi David

Its a very quiet thread at the moment, I'm putting it down to holiday season:thumbsup:

The quote refers to one Siegfried Sasson on a bombing raid against the Hindenburg Line, not sure who said it but wasn't it due to him not being with the battalion long enough?

John

John

Correct as always. The writer was his fellow officer Robert Graves who maintained that only regulars were put forward for the top honours in the RWF

this WAIWA is very easy but I just came across it and it made me laugh, so I thought I would share it. Who is saying this and who is he saying it about?

'he make a drum out of the skin of his own mother in order to sound his own praises.'

David

No searching for this one DLG on WSC.

On a slight tangent you mentioned you were out in Englefield, can you tell me is The Bull still thriving in Stanford Dingley?

John

John

You are coming over all Rupert Brooke -,does the clock 'stand at ten to three and is there honey still for tea'!

But I can confirm that the Bull continues to thrive and still enjoys a high reputation.

David

"Imagine the subject of balloons crops up. 'X', without a blink, will give you a brilliant hour-long lecture on balloons. 'Y', even if he has never seen you before, will spend an hour finding out anything you know or think about them."

Who is X? Who is Y? And who said this ? ? ? 

Hi UG

Have you put this on then taken it off again? I was just about to post to the admins that my notifications are playing up,

44 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi UG

Have you put this on then taken it off again? I was just about to post to the admins that my notifications are playing up,

Yes - a part of my post disappeared, and part of my text appeared in bold, which I hadn't asked for and was unable to fix. So I had to rub it out and start again.

I can't take to this post-reboot Forum. I prefer the old days, when whiskey was 50 cents a gallon. (To paraphrase Sgt Quincannon.)

X= WSC

Y= DLG

I think it was Hankey (but somethings telling me it was Baldwin)

Sgt.Quincannon= Fort Apache

18 hours ago, Knotty said:

X= WSC

Y= DLG

I think it was Hankey (but somethings telling me it was Baldwin)

Sgt.Quincannon= Fort Apache

WSC, Ll.G and Hankey.

Baldwin: "Ll.G was born a cad and never forgot it; Winston was born a gentleman and never remembered it".

"The myth of 'David and Winston' represents how we would like our politicians to behave - and allows us to comfort ourselves in our present discontents by contrasting the idealized image of these two iconic statesmen with the seemingly reprehensible activities of their modern day successors. Yet it does not help us to understand either the past or the present. 'Statesmen are for history,' Joseph Chamberlain once remarked, 'let us be content with politicians' ". Richard Toye, 'Rivals for Greatness' (2007).

Not 'Fort Apache', but you're very close: 'She Wore a Yellow Ribbon', the best film ever made. The best film ever made.