The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

UG

Just checked out the IMDb site for characters in both films and Sgt Quincannon features in both. In Ft. Ap. he is also referring to his favourite tipple on a couple of occasions.

John

14 hours ago, Uncle George said:

WSC, Ll.G and Hankey.

Baldwin: "Ll.G was born a cad and never forgot it; Winston was born a gentleman and never remembered it".

"The myth of 'David and Winston' represents how we would like our politicians to behave - and allows us to comfort ourselves in our present discontents by contrasting the idealized image of these two iconic statesmen with the seemingly reprehensible activities of their modern day successors. Yet it does not help us to understand either the past or the present. 'Statesmen are for history,' Joseph Chamberlain once remarked, 'let us be content with politicians' ". Richard Toye, 'Rivals for Greatness' (2007).

Not 'Fort Apache', but you're very close: 'She Wore a Yellow Ribbon', the best film ever made. The best film ever made.

Looks like Sgt. Q was going to be a returning character in Fords films, the films we mention are just a year apart, alas he doesn't appear elsewhere.

John

Victor McLaglen has appeared here on WiT - he had a distinguished GW career. He appears as Sgt Quincannon in 'SWaYR' and in 'Rio Grande'. He plays a cavalry sergeant in 'Fort Apache', but in that film his character goes by another name.

image.jpg

Hi UG

It was Dick Foran who played Sgt Quincannon in Fort Apache, so I was incorrect in not spotting him in Rio Grande, so this character was a constant in John Ford films. Had to read up on VM, as you say a distinguished GW career.

John

The continuity of the Ford 'Cavalry Trilogy' is a bit complicated. John Wayne appears as the same character ( Kirby York or Yorke) in 'Fort Apache' and 'Rio Grande'. However he plays Nathan Brittles in 'She Wore...' Victor McLaglen portrays Sergeant Quincannon in 'She Wore...' and 'Rio Grande' and a (to all intents and purposes) identical Irish sergeant in 'Fort Apache' who dies in the climactic massacre. Without looking at the film I can't recall if the Quincannon character played by Dick Foran survives 'Fort Apache'. I'll get me cape...

Edited by Mark Hone

UG & Mark

I bow to your superior knowledge of the "western" genre particularly those of John Ford, my hats off to you both:thumbsup:

John

Blimey WIT is turning into IMDB! All interesting stuff though. I sm sure you will recall that when Orson Welles was asked who his three favourite directors were he replied, "John Ford, John Ford and John Ford".

Meanwhile back at Fort Waiwa, who is being described here?

"He had become a figure of fun , the very image of a brass hat as represented by the caricaturists, with features, voice and manner, all in character but nevertheless could not be sacked like an office boy. He was moved to a quiet part of the line and allowed to go on commanding a corps on a front where nothing ever happened. The only time I met him, after the battle, I thought him not quite sane, but I dare say I was not a very good judge."

David

That is a reference to Hunter-Bunter, also known as Lieutenant-General Sir Aylmer Gould Hunter-Weston KCB DSO GStJ, there was a thread started today on the very fellow.

With the recent commemoration of the start of the Somme battle, it is worth noting that it was through his insistence that the Hawthorn Redoubt mine was detonated 10 minutes before zero.

John

On the assumption that John is right, let us return to the Cavalry Trilogy and identify this dashing young officer:

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

That is a reference to Hunter-Bunter, also known as Lieutenant-General Sir Aylmer Gould Hunter-Weston KCB DSO GStJ, there was a thread started today on the very fellow.

With the recent commemoration of the start of the Somme battle, it is worth noting that it was through his insistence that the Hawthorn Redoubt mine was detonated 10 minutes before zero.

John

Quite right as ever John. I missed the new thread but will search it out. 

re 5288

is that Merian C Cooper,? the man who brought us King Kong and who was producer of Fort Apache.

Polish Air force in the 1920's ?

Carl

That was a sneaky one UG, kept me up the early hours, took an age to id that it was a Polish Air Force uniform, but couldn't get the trilogy connection at first at first, bit more searching came up with a friend of John Ford who formed the Argosy company that produced the films mentioned previously, a certain Merian C Cooper, With a distinguished GW flying record that after the Armistice led to him being a founder of the Kosciuszko Squadron in the Polish-Soviet war were he was shot down and made PoW released in 1921. There followed a varied successful career in journalism,explorer,aviator and cinematographer, the last two combining for him to produce and direct the famous film King Kong. What a man and career

John

yours cdr

Edited by Knotty
Post above just beat me

1 hour ago, cdr said:

re 5288

is that Merian C Cooper,? the man who brought us King Kong and who was producer of Fort Apache.

Polish Air force in the 1920's ?

Carl

Yes indeed Carl: the producer of 'Fort Apache'. He was a bomber pilot during the GW with the US Army Air Service, and volunteered for Kościuszko's Escadrille during the Polish-Soviet War.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merian_C._Cooper

Came across this photograph on Pintrest. Durham Light Infantry officer I believe, military cross ribbon, can anyone put a name to him?D.L.I. Officer.JPG

I don't think anyone can - isn't that one of the recently-colourised Lost Tommies pictures?

He bears a passing resemblance to the officer stood in front of the man circled in this picture of the 13th DLI taken in March 1915 perhaps? The original photo is in the Durham County Archives.

13DLI3_3.jpg

And while we are on the subject, who is the man circled? I expect you to get this one in nanoseconds.

Pete.

Hey, I don't do Army! Make that nano-centuries ... ;)

It can't be John Kipling because he was Irish Guards.

2 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Hey, I don't do Army! Make that nano-centuries ... ;)

The arts, that's all I'm saying. Do you think the man in front bears a resemblance to Doug's rather characterful colourised photo? I'm sure I've read (almost certainly in this thread) that you can compare ears, unfortunately the resolution is too low to test out this theory.

Pete.

There is a resemblance I agree, although the man in question is sitting and I was looking for someone standing ...

Let's try George Butterworth.

I just knew you would know..........:thumbsup: Hopefully if the man in front is Doug's chap it may aid identification.

Pete.

I hasten to add that I had to look his picture up, and he wasn't the first one I tried!

I hope John Conolly won't mind if I post this. It's available set to music on his CD Ranter's Wharf. http://www.chanteycabin.co.uk/John Connolly/Connolly.htm

OLD MEN SING LOVE SONGS
John Conolly

Oh the summer was golden with music and mirth
Till the black cloud of battle rolled over the earth
For God and for country oh hear the bands play
And the flower of England is sailing away.

Chorus
    When the banks of green willow are wasted in war
    When the songs are unspoken and the larks rise no more
    Still somewhere in time, love, there's a bright summer's day
    Where old men sing love songs so far far away.

Some say God is love and some say God is dead
Some say God's a dreamer in an old poets' head
But God's in some garden, some garden so green 
And pulling fine flowers, so fair to be seen.

Now the maypole is fallen and the dancers lie down
And the lark in ascension is brought to the ground
On the 5th day of August, not a cloud in the sky
But the summer is over and the long winter's nigh.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

The arts, that's all I'm saying. Do you think the man in front bears a resemblance to Doug's rather characterful colourised photo? I'm sure I've read (almost certainly in this thread) that you can compare ears, unfortunately the resolution is too low to test out this theory.

Pete.

It was right at the start of WIT Pete. Mr Drill tried to use the shape of the ear to identify Centurion's original picture whose identity eludes us still

David

I know the thought is often inspired by the wish and all that, but I think you may have a fair shout here. Although we cannot see the ear the tilt of the nose and the line of the mouth look pretty good to me.

I think we need Martin G back on the thread to do another of his miracle spots

David