The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Thank you for your time and efforts folks, I know it's rather a long shot but it's such a shame many of these photographs remain anonymous. 

Doug

Has this lady been on? Sister of a GW personality.

img-front.jpg

Don't recognise her seaJane (so no change there then). Could we have a clue. Was her sibling a politician or a military person?

David

seaJane

Is it Anna Buchan who was a novelist writing as O. Douglas. She was the sister of John Buchan the War Propaganda Bureau writer, who not only went on to pen The 39 Steps, he was also Director of Information 1917.

John

Sorry David, only just come on site, but Knotty has it. Several of O. Douglas's books deal directly or peripherally with the GW, among them, iirc, Eliza for Common.

No problem seaJane, to be honest the chances of me getting the answer before John were always negligible!

There is a definite family resemblance to Buchan, and I should have remembered that on another thread you had confessed to a being a fan of his work

David

There it is again - the TEL link i.e John Buchan.

I think Robert Graves's name also appears in the visitors' book for Elsfield Manor, Buchan's Oxfordshire home.

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

I think Robert Graves's name also appears in the visitors' book for Elsfield Manor, Buchan's Oxfordshire home.

They were all part of the 'Max Gate Circle'

I imagine seaJane will know who these chaps are. My guess is that one is easy, one less so, one not easy at all. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

18 hours ago, Uncle George said:

I imagine seaJane will know who these chaps are. My guess is that one is easy, one less so, one not easy at all. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Are they all connected to one particular incident?

38 minutes ago, neverforget said:

One particular pre-war event, yes. The photographs, which are not to be found on-line, are taken from a 1915 article which examines the GW careers of the survivors.

20 hours ago, Uncle George said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I`ll take a wild guess. Wild, Adams and Marshall?

15 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I`ll take a wild guess. Wild, Adams and Marshall?

Sorry, no. Wrong expedition. One of these men lost his life during the GW while trying to save lives during the sinking of the 'Hogue'.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Sorry, no. Wrong expedition. One of these men lost his life during the GW while trying to save lives during the sinking of the 'Hogue'.

Would that be Captain R.W. Johnson?

Hi UG

I have been otherwise occupied for a couple of days but a bit of digging around and I have turned up that these gallant chaps, I think, are members of Scotts ill fated Terra Nova expedition crew that survived the Antarctic expedition but were lost in the Great War

Lt Cmd Henry Rennick was lost with HMS Hogue after gallantly giving up his lifebelt and helping others in the water. 

Commander Harry Pennell lost on the HMS Queen Mary at Jutland ( my wife's late step father was a Pennell related to E Pennell RFC ace)

And Alf Cheetham who was serving as a Second Officer on the S S Prunelle when sunk by u-boat in Aug 1918.

John

12 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi UG

I have been otherwise occupied for a couple of days but a bit of digging around and I have turned up that these gallant chaps, I think, are members of Scotts ill fated Terra Nova expedition crew that survived the Antarctic expedition but were lost in the Great War

Lt Cmd Henry Rennick was lost with HMS Hogue after gallantly giving up his lifebelt and helping others in the water. 

Commander Harry Pennell lost on the HMS Queen Mary at Jutland ( my wife's late step father was a Pennell related to E Pennell RFC ace)

And Alf Cheetham who was serving as a Second Officer on the S S Prunelle when sunk by u-boat in Aug 1918.

John

John, you are right in saying that these men survived Scott's famous expedition. And you have correctly identified Henry Rennick. Well done. (In the account I read of his death on the 'Hogue' he gave up life-saving planks of wood - the flotsam of that execrable poem in post #5319.)

But you are mistaken with the other two. One of them had a very distinguished GW and post-War career - he became a full admiral and served in the Norwegian campaign during the Second war.

The other was a namesake of a very famous mariner.

Still game on then. Jolly good.

There was a Francis Drake on the expedition, so could that be the famous mariner in post #5321

John

I`m loving this. 

Forgot there were 2 x Evans on this expedition, the one that perished with Scott (Edgar) and the other one who became "Evans of the Broke", so I will add Edward Ratcliffe Garth Russell Evans 1st Baron Mountevans.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

... that execrable poem in post #5319

Oh, come on, UG, it isn't that bad, compared with a lot of poetry written at the time. And don't forget that it was a Poet Laureate who penned the lines:

"Across the wire the electric message came:

He is no better, he is much the same."

Ron

On 8 August 2016 at 11:39, Knotty said:

There was a Francis Drake on the expedition, so could that be the famous mariner in post #5321

John

Yes! The chap with the admirable hat is Francis Drake, the secretary and Paymaster on Scott's expedition. During the GW he served on HMS Undaunted, and had "several crisp little fights, amongst them being the vivid battle with the four German destroyers. His ship had narrow escapes, and was nearly torpedoed several times whilst engaged in the destruction of the enemy's vessels." 

Quote and photographs from 'From South Pole to North Sea' (1915), by Draycot M. Dell.

And yes, the other chap is 'Evans of the Broke', so named after his heroic behaviour at the Battle of Dover Strait.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Evans,_1st_Baron_Mountevans

Edited by Uncle George

20 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Oh, come on, UG, it isn't that bad, compared with a lot of poetry written at the time. And don't forget that it was a Poet Laureate who penned the lines:

"Across the wire the electric message came:

He is no better, he is much the same."

Ron

Good point Ron: but I stand by my assessment. Here's another of Canon Rawnsley's oeuvre:

"To Lieut. Holbrook and his Gallant Crew of B11

"Deep in the Dardenelles,

Safe from all shot and shells,

Holbrook went creeping

Right thro' the fivefold lines

Of those death-dealing mines;

Caught the Turk sleeping.

"Rose, let his thunder slip,

Sunk the great battle ship,

And, Chance at zero -

Dived; thro' dark-swirling night,

Death to left, death to right,