The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

This whole thread is about divining!  Or do you mean the other meaning?

Is that to me? I'm not into mediums and psychic practices, but I read 'divine' in the sense of 'divination' - Oliver Lodge's attempts to reach his son (the one in the photo) by occult means.

Edited by Dragon

No, it was to Uncle George, your post with the answer appeared as I was writing it.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

http://ww1centenary.oucs.ox.ac.uk/body-and-mind/a-solace-to-a-tortured-world-the-growing-interest-in-spiritualism-during-and-after-ww1/

I sometimes wonder how on earth those societies managed to cope with losses on that scale. Well, perhaps they did not.

I'm sure I'm not unusual in knowing of someone in the family (in this case my husband's family) who consulted a medium for many years after her son was killed.  Effectively down the generations there is a ghost in the family - his death was not accepted and the grieving process was fragile. Obviously we know he is dead and we have visited his grave.

Edited by Dragon
Superfluous letter

13 minutes ago, Dragon said:

... his death was not accepted and the grieving process was fragile ...

"His death was not accepted." Oh, the sadness in these words. Have we said goodbye to these ghosts yet?

No.

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Well done for biting the bullet and resurrecting the sleeping giant. (Hopefully)

Wasn't a very gentle return,now was it UG!

He's a Second Lieutenant is about all I can say (Oliver Lodge as he was i.d.)

John

Edited by Knotty
Slow posting!

He still looked the same in WW2, that is Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Downing as a Brigadier General in his RFC uniform.

John

18 minutes ago, Knotty said:

(Oliver Lodge as he was i.d.)

Not quite - it's Oliver Lodge's son Raymond, who was killed in 1915. Oliver wrote a book called 'Raymond' about spiritualism, his ventures into communicating with Raymond through mediums, and the existence of personality after death. I haven't read it.

26 minutes ago, Knotty said:

He still looked the same in WW2, that is Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Downing as a Brigadier General in his RFC uniform.

John

Dowding [sic] seems to have believed that he was followed by a band of deceased airmen, and wrote of "meeting dead 'RAF boys' in his sleep – spirits who flew fighters from mountain-top runways made of light." He wrote a number of  books on spiritualism and reincarnation - 'Many Mansions'(1943), 'Lychgate' (1945), 'The Dark Star'(1951), and 'God's Magic' (1960).

http://whitecrowbooks.com/books/page/lychgate_the_entrance_to_the_path/

35 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Not quite - it's Oliver Lodge's son Raymond

Hello Dragon

Apologies I was reading and typing at the same time, silly mistake! as an aside who was Eric Fletcher he seems to be linked to Raymond?

John

Hampshire Regiment?

The Hampshire Reg helped give it away that's the son of known spiritualist & writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - it is Capt. Arthur Allene Kingsley Conan Doyle who died 1/11/1918.

John

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

The Hampshire Reg helped give it away that's the son of known spiritualist & writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - it is Capt. Arthur Allene Kingsley Conan Doyle who died 1/11/1918.

John

Yes. " ... the great writer had lost his son, Kingsley, in October 1918, and like so many grief-struck parents, he was desperate to commune with his dead son from beyond the grave. ‘Christianity is dead,’ he once declared, ‘How else could ten million young men have marched out to slaughter? Did any moral force stop that war? No. Christianity is dead – dead!’

Kingsley Conan Doyle had been wounded in the neck on the first day of the Battle of the Somme ... Two years later, however, Kingsley was recovering. But in the summer of 1918, the whole world was swept by Spanish Flu, the most devastating pandemic in modern times, which claimed at least 50 million lives. Among them, on 28 October, was 25-year-old Kingsley, his resistance compromised by his battlefield injury."

http://www.historyinanhour.com/2012/05/22/arthur-conan-doyle-spiritualist/

Cracking theme for a thread chums, and good to put the band back together. The idea of the post war trauma and it's effects is a fascinating subject, which I think I've read in one of Richard Van Emden's books. Good clues in the original post (which had the added advantage of making look up the pronunciation of ennui); I took divine in the 17th century religious sense and went off to look at Tubby Clayton and David Railton which was a Good Thing even if it was barking up the wrong tree.

Didn't have a clue about who the photos were as usual although I would have got Dowding, he probably looked like an air vice marshall at school.I had no idea about his interest in spiritualism however. Didn't Montgomery worry about meeting up with the soldiers who were killed under his command when he "went over Jordan" as I think he put it?

Pete.

Is that a TOS in his hands (and thus is he in a Jock Regt)?

On 27/08/2016 at 21:35, Uncle George said:

4 hours ago, Uncle George said:

"His death was not accepted." Oh, the sadness in these words. Have we said goodbye to these ghosts yet?

In her book, Army Wives, Midge Gillies writes..

"After his son was killed in 1915, Sir Oliver Lodge, a pioneer in wireless telegraphy, wrote a book describing how he had got in touch with him through a medium. By the end of the First World War there were said to be 4.5m bereaved relations in Britain, and some 250,000 were attending seances to make contact with their dead sons and husbands. One of these was the engaging and bookish Clare Sheridan, who discovered a medium in Notting Hill soon after the death of her husband, Wilfred, a captain in the Rifle Brigade. On her first visit, she spoke to him for half an hour. The conversations continued until the day he objected to her plans to move to Turkey, after which, affronted by his bossiness, she ceased communication."

Well it's not McCrae. Is it Alexis Helmer?