The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Well it's not McCrae. Is it Alexis Helmer? 

No. He was a journalist, novelist, historian. Memoirist.

24 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

No. He was a journalist, novelist, historian. 

Found him! It's Will Bird. Author of "Ghosts have warm hands" http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/news/world/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/news/world/canadian-soldiers-embraced-the-supernatural-uncanny-and-ghostly-on-the-front-lines-historian-says

Excellent theme you have going. A little difficult for me to post candidates tonight as I'm stuck at work with just my phone.

Edited by neverforget

9 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Found him! It's Will Bird. Author of "Ghosts have warm hands" http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/news/world/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/news/world/canadian-soldiers-embraced-the-supernatural-uncanny-and-ghostly-on-the-front-lines-historian-says

Excellent theme you have going. A little difficult for me to post candidates tonight as I'm stuck at work with just my phone.

Yes that's him. “Wiping away sleep, he looked with amazement at his brother Steve,” who had been reported missing in action in 1915. “Steve led him through some ruins, when he suddenly rounded a corner and disappeared.”

http://skill4u.eu/139/ghosts-have-warm-hands-a-memoir-of-the-great-will-r-bird-id10369.pdf

“I had gone down to my cabin thinking to write some letters,” Harold Owen, brother of the poet Wilfred, wrote of an experience while serving on HMS Astraea. “To my amazement I saw Wilfred sitting in my chair . . .

“He did not rise and I saw that he was involuntarily immobile, but his eyes which had never left mine were alive with the familiar look of trying to make me understand . . . I went into a deep oblivious sleep. When I woke up I knew with absolute certainty that Wilfred was dead.”

[off-topic but: if that is the same Astraea, she took Will Maillard and his shipmates aboard off Herakleion (Crete, September 1898) after the action for which he was awarded the RN Medical Service's only VC]

cc.jpgWould you say this was well done?

24 minutes ago, neverforget said:

cc.jpgWould you say this was well done?

A guess: is she Ada Emma Deane, well-known medium, photographer, composer of the "Cenotaph ghost photographs", and fraud?

"At Béthune, I saw the ghost of a man named Private Challoner, who had been at Lancaster with me, and again in ‘F’ Company at Wrexham. When he went out with a draft to join the First Battalion, he shook my hand and said: ‘I’ll meet you again in France, sir.’ In June he passed by our ‘C’ Company billet, where we were just having a special dinner to celebrate our safe return from Cuinchy – new potatoes, fish, green peas, asparagus, mutton chops, strawberries and cream, and three bottles of Pommard. Private Challoner looked in at the window, saluted, and passed on. I could not mistake him, or the cap-badge he wore; yet no Royal Welch battalion was billeted within miles of Béthune at the time. I jumped up, looked out of the window, and saw nothing except a fag-end smoking on the pavement. Challoner had been killed at Festubert in May."

Robert Graves, GtAT

Edited by Uncle George

18 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

A guess: is she Ada Emma Deane, well-known medium, photographer, composer of the "Cenotaph ghost photographs", and fraud?

"At Béthune, I saw the ghost of a man named Private Challoner, who had been at Lancaster with me, and again in ‘F’ Company at Wrexham. When he went out with a draft to join the First Battalion, he shook my hand and said: ‘I’ll meet you again in France, sir.’ In June he passed by our ‘C’ Company billet, where we were just having a special dinner to celebrate our safe return from Cuinchy – new potatoes, fish, green peas, asparagus, mutton chops, strawberries and cream, and three bottles of Pommard. Private Challoner looked in at the window, saluted, and passed on. I could not mistake him, or the cap-badge he wore; yet no Royal Welch battalion was billeted within miles of Béthune at the time. I jumped up, looked out of the window, and saw nothing except a fag-end smoking on the pavement. Challoner had been killed at Festubert in May."

Robert Graves, GtAT

Not Deane, but fraud, certainly. Often performed her services in the nude.

4 minutes ago, johntanner said:

An early photograph of Helen Duncan?

Not Duncan either. 

I`m surprised she has got this far without being exposed. Rubbed shoulders with Oliver Lodge, and Conan Doyle. 

How can I put this delicately?........Her lady-bits were part of the show. 

30 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Is it "Marjery" aka Mina Crandon?

It is the very same. Seen here with the silver cup awarded to her by the British Psychic College, for her "heroic contributions to the struggle for truth.":wacko: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mina_Crandon

And not for those of a nervous disposition; her party piece: http://www.conman.com.au/melbournemagicians/houdiniandminacrandon

15 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Gross!:w00t:

Lets move on

Agreed! 

Perhaps time for a moment's serious reflection though on the way that desperate people were exploited by these immoral hoaxers. 

I'm sure the bandwagon was positively heaving just after the Great War.

Just when you are at your most vulnerable, there's always someone there to take advantage of your wretchedness. 

Here, I think I'm right in saying, is an RNAS Squadron, which Squadron served onboard HMS Daedalus during the GW. Who is that spectral figure said to be, peering over the shoulder of the chap standing fourth from our left in the back row?

image.jpg

Is it Captain Kenneth Edwards? The ship's Captain who committed suicide. 

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Is it Captain Kenneth Edwards? The ship's Captain who committed suicide. 

Not him, no. The story goes that this chap was killed when he was hit by an airplane propeller; this photograph was taken two days later, on the day of his funeral.

Is it a chap called Godfrey or similar ?

Still searching!

Edited by Knotty

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Is it a chap called Godfrey or similar ?

Still searching!

No. You will note that the ghostly character is not wearing a hat.

It wasn't a Godfrey, but it was taken by (Sir) Victor Goddard of his WW1 RN squadron in 1919, and the ghostly figure is purported to be that of Freddy Jackson, one of the air mechanic, tragically killed, as you say, two days earlier in an accident.

John

10 minutes ago, Knotty said:

It wasn't a Godfrey, but it was taken by (Sir) Victor Goddard of his WW1 RN squadron in 1919, and the ghostly figure is purported to be that of Freddy Jackson, one of the air mechanic, tragically killed, as you say, two days earlier in an accident.

John

As you say. But none of this explains why he is not wearing a hat.

http://www.skeptic.com/insight/new-facts-concerning-goddard-squadron-photo/

I could say great minds etc...just about to put him up myself. If I say hw has a more famous brother that shouldn't give the game away.

John

• Admin

Hamo Sassoon? 

6 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Hamo Sassoon? 

Yes.

" ... Graves also described an incident which took place while he was staying at Sassoon’s home. Sassoon’s younger brother, Hamo, had been killed in 1915 at Gallipoli. While staying with Sassoon Graves had been woken in the night by screams which had at first terrified him. On going out into the hall he discovered Sassoon’s mother, Theresa, who, he stated in his book, was trying to make contact with the dead Hamo through spiritualistic  means. 'I’m leaving this place,' he said. 'It's worse than France.' In his defence Graves had not mentioned any names regarding this incident but Sassoon, who was mentioned in the preceding and following paragraphs, saw it as a massive betrayal of his friendship and hospitality."

http://siegfried-sassoon.firstworldwarrelics.co.uk/html/robert_graves.html