The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Nothing odd about the picture, but who are they, and what ridiculous tale surrounds their disappearance in 1915???

14038ae7cf6c00060ba2da898c5c7b5d.jpg

4 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Nothing odd about the picture, but who are they, and what ridiculous tale surrounds their disappearance in 1915???

14038ae7cf6c00060ba2da898c5c7b5d.jpg

Are these the 'Lost Sandringhams' - featuring David Jason in the film of the same name?

5 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Are these the 'Lost Sandringhams' - featuring David Jason in the film of the same name?

Spot on U.G. However, the "Sandringhams" tag was apparently yet another myth attached to them.   http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/5th-battalion-norfolk-regiment-the-true-story/

Edited by neverforget

This is a bit cheeky of me, as it is was taken at Dartmouth in 1910, about five-and-a-half years before he won his DSC a lot farther east. This is the first picture I've ever seen of him and I've only just been sent it, so I wanted to share :)

sJ

Image.JPG

Edited by seaJane
uploading correct photo

8 hours ago, seaJane said:

This is a bit cheeky of me, as it is was taken at Dartmouth in 1910, about five-and-a-half years before he won his DSC a lot farther east. This is the first picture I've ever seen of him and I've only just been sent it, so I wanted to share :)

sJ

Image.JPG

This one looks interesting. I've no doubt spent the last hour barking up the wrong tree, but a wild guess: Alfred Swain?

No, not minesweeping. River launch converted to gunboat. She has been mentioned before :)

13 hours ago, seaJane said:

sJ

Image.JPG

Is he Edgar Cookson VC, of HMS Comet?

Not he but you're getting very close. Same flotilla, even smaller boat.

Edited by seaJane

15 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Not he but you're getting very close. Same flotilla, even smaller boat.

Is it Edwyn Alexander-Sinclair?

Nope. A Sub-Lt, promoted Lt while (I think) in captivity at Yozgad.

Stephen Augustus Bayford?

Charles Thomas Nettleingham?

Good one this sJ

Edited by Knotty

No to all three. I have mentioned him (sans picture) earlier in this thread.

Lionel Tudway?

"The Sumana was one of a remarkable ‘gallimaufry of vessels’ pressed into service on the Tigris, was commanded by Lieutenant Lionel Tudway, R.N., who ‘had the nerve of Beelzebub’ and quickly won a D.S.O. and a D.S.C., and was armed with one 12-pounder and two 3-pounder guns, both of which were brought ashore for the final defence of Kut in March 1916. Meanwhile, however, the Sumana was heavily engaged in the action fought on 28 September 1915 and during the battle of Ctesiphon on 22 November, so, too, in many subsequent ‘side shows’ during the retreat back to Kut and thereafter - far too numerous for the purposes of this catalogue entry but, by way of example, the following extracts from The Secrets of a Kuttite, by Captain E. O. Brooks, R.F.A., who was a friend of Lieutenant Tudway, are not without interest:

19 March 1916:

‘Another shell got the Sumana through the funnel and bridge, killing one of her crew. Tudway’s cabin was completely wrecked. Tudway is a deserving, hard-working subaltern, the only R.N. representative in Kut. He always takes it as a personal insult if his gunboat is hit. She is the apple of his eye. H.M.S. Sumana, an improvised gunboat, is of the greatest importance, as she keeps us in touch with “Woolpress”, our tiny stronghold on the other bank, which prevents the Turks from coming right down to the river-bank and thus rendering our water-front totally unendurable. She takes across a barge with provisions and reliefs, and makes three or four trips a week. This the Turks know full-well, and do their best to send her under during the day. However, she is fairly well protected with mahelas and rafts, though by no means completely. It is a difficult problem to know how to protect her, and engages all Tudway’s thoughts. In fact, how she remains afloat at all is a puzzle to every one.’ "

Edited by Uncle George

I don't believe it UG, forgot completely about him, and I answered sJ on WIT earlier in the year :w00t:

Quite right! Lionel Tudway it is, bless him. He was still only a subby at the time of Cookson's VC action (Sep 1915) so I must check that promotion date.

Well played Uncle George