The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Uncle George

Has your poet disappeared?

David

It was I who was about to disappear, on holiday, and not able to respond. I'll repost when there's a lull, if I may.

So, who IS this? A poet. He wrote a well-known poem of possessiveness, and loss. A poem which carries with it a pointed lesson for us all.

post-108430-0-49195200-1407599317_thumb.

So, who IS this? A poet. He wrote a well-known poem of possessiveness, and loss. A poem which carries with it a pointed lesson for us all.

Is it Edward Thomas?

Is it Edward Thomas?

It is not. Although my man was a poet, and served in the war, he is not regarded as a 'war poet'.

it is rather a difficult one :whistle: . He is Pierre Merx (no relation to Eddy Merckx)

In 1914 he volunteered at a rather advanced age. He was born in LiĂšge on 27/01/1849 ! . He served with the 9th Infanterie de ligne until 1919

and volunteered for every patrol in no mans land ( he was apparently of the opinion that it was better that an old man should take risks

instead of a young one who still had a long life to look forward) !

Carl

Bit players? No, that's American I think, so probably not.

(Have a good trip)

Thank you it was very enjoyable.

Minor characters are sometimes called 'Spear carriers'

My chap is Edward Spears, liaison officer between French and Lanzerac at the start of the war.

David

It is not. Although my man was a poet, and served in the war, he is not regarded as a 'war poet'.

Is it Hedd Wyn?

David

On my hols stumbled across this chap's story. A sportsman who I was shocked I hadn't heard of:

post-66715-0-33270300-1407657403_thumb.p

David

Is it Hedd Wyn?

David

No, not him.

The poem I refer to is about a woman who, against advice, strays into an urban no-go area, and disappears.

it is rather a difficult one :whistle: . He is Pierre Merx (no relation to Eddy Merckx)

In 1914 he volunteered at a rather advanced age. He was born in LiĂšge on 27/01/1849 ! . He served with the 9th Infanterie de ligne until 1919

and volunteered for every patrol in no mans land ( he was apparently of the opinion that it was better that an old man should take risks

instead of a young one who still had a long life to look forward) !

Carl

Good one Carl; I was in the middle of asking if your man was any relation to the great Eddy when the forum timed out on me yesterday. It's just done it again so if this doesn't work I'll give up.

Pete.

On my hols stumbled across this chap's story. A sportsman who I was shocked I hadn't heard of:

attachicon.gifdri 250.png

David

We had him recently, David. I solved him last time, and I remember you being actively involved in the chase, and I`m really worried about you now!!! :unsure:

We had him recently, David. I solved him last time, and I remember you being actively involved in the chase, and I`m really worried about you now!!! :unsure:

Hmm! that is worrying. When I saw a TV item on this chap it certainly rang no bells. How recently was recently? Was it on WIT? or WIT ???

David

I'm worried about myself because although I thought he looked very familiar, I can't for the life of me remember who he is :o

Have just used the search facility and it has not produced his name on WIT???. Feeling slightly happier about mental degeneration!

David

John "Jack" Harrison VC, teacher and RL player (a very good winger for York then Hull FC)

John "Jack" Harrison VC, teacher and RL player (a very good winger for York then Hull FC)

That's the chap Steve. A real hero on the field and at the front. I read today that his only son was killed at Dunkirk. His wife lived until 1977 outliving her husband by 60 years and her son by 37.

I may have forgotten about this chap as well but just in case I haven't, who is this:

post-66715-0-07495800-1407694697_thumb.j

David

That's the chap Steve. A real hero on the field and at the front. I read today that his only son was killed at Dunkirk. His wife lived until 1977 outliving her husband by 60 years and her son by 37.

I may have forgotten about this chap as well but just in case I haven't, who is this:

attachicon.gifdri 251.jpg

David

Eric Geddes. I posted him on 16th of July.

Hmm! that is worrying. When I saw a TV item on this chap it certainly rang no bells. How recently was recently? Was it on WIT? or WIT ???

David

The chase started here, David. Steve posted him as a gentle knock at us for claiming his namesake as the only "rugby" V.C.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=204406&page=327#entry2122435

Caryl, you were in there too....and posted a link to him......... :whistle:

Have just used the search facility and it has not produced his name on WIT???. Feeling slightly happier about mental degeneration!

David

:wacko:

Well I think this is telling me something. Let's just hope there are no parents on the Forum of children that I am supposed to be educating.

So as Churchill almost said when asked about what form of opposition he would mount after the 1945 election: the Forum clearly wants a long period of silence from me!! I shall retreat to finish my spreadsheet because at least then I will have no excuse for putting up repeats.

David

Please don`t add to the list of long silences that we already seem to be suffering, David. :thumbsup:

Please don`t add to the list of long silences that we already seem to be suffering, David. :thumbsup:

Not for long I hope. But recent bĂȘtises deserve a temporary holiday in Limoges (as Joffre would have put it!)

David