Pete.

Sorry Pete not a young Walter Congreve

whilst not a clue I will add he was a casualty

Regards Ray

50 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Sorry Pete not a young Walter Congreve

whilst not a clue I will add he was a casualty

Regards Ray

No need to apologise Ray, I wasn't confident. The ears didn't look right.

Pete.

Do those lanyards mean he was an ADC?

19 hours ago, seaJane said:

I believe so

• 4 weeks later...

We seem to have stalled on our last chap. How about this one?

download.jpg

If a clue is needed; served, and wrote poetry, but not what I'd call a war poet.

On 11/4/2016 at 00:17, seaJane said:

No, they are cap lines, intended to secure the lancer cap if it was knocked off. Hussars had similar lines, which can often be seen wound round the middle of the busby..

Aiguillettes to denote staff officers and ADCs (and NCO ranks in the Household Cavalry) were worn only on one side.

Ron

Thank you for that Ron. He looks awfully familiar but I am flummoxed.

He was also an artist of some repute

Regards Ray

Edit more of an illustrator than an artist

Edited by RaySearching

3 hours ago, RaySearching said:

another clue Born 1870

Clive McDonnell Dixon.

Well done Jane 

Help yourself to a drink from your drink cabinet well deserved

800px-Clive_MacDonnell_Dixon00.jpg

Painted by Captain Clive MacDonnell Dixon, aide-de-camp to Sir George White, both caught up in the siege of Ladysmith. Dixon produced a book dealing with this experience and illustrated with his watercolours

Clive an Interesting artist and  Illustrator 

An early casualty of the Great War

Regards Ray

Thanks Ray!

• 5 weeks later...

He edged forward. The place, so familiar to him in previous times, now seemed so strange after five months away. It was quiet, too quiet. 'Hello,' he called out nervously, 'is there anyone there - Pete, Steve, UG, Mr Drill, Caryl, seaJane, Ron, knotty?' His voiced echoed and then was swallowed in the darkness. It seemed like the WIT house was finally deserted. 

But perhaps it it could be brought back to life. He had no pictures, for heaven's sake every participant in the war (including all the animals) had already been used. In desperation he thought he'd try a WAIWA. Who is this he whispered:

"He marched with the battalion all the way after Merville, and apparently enjoyed it, but I doubt if the Staff Officer with him did - trudging along in the mud! ...He is tremendously keen and seems to like turning out in the dark on a winter's morning and marching with the Battalion. He is not to be allowed in the line for the present, much to his disgust!"

He waited for an answer scarcely daring to breathe...

David

WSC?

6 minutes ago, seaJane said:

WSC?

No, but reading it back I can see how it could be, were it not for the date, which I didn't include - December 1914

Edited by David Ridgus

Welcome back old friend, to the show that never ends, etc etc.

Bad timing for me as I was just off to bed. Totally knackered after my first 12 hr shift following another lengthy lay off. Good news is I've only one more to do tomorrow and then it's four days off. I'd love to think that is going to mean four days of furious action here just like the good old days.

Anyway, I'll take a stab at Winnie for your WAIWA, if only because your description  immedeately conjoured up a mental image of him doing just that. 

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Welcome back old friend, to the show that never ends, etc etc.

Bad timing for me as I was just off to bed. Totally knackered after my first 12 hr shift following another lengthy lay off. Good news is I've only one more to do tomorrow and then it's four days off. I'd love to think that is going to mean four days of furious action here just like the good old days.

Anyway, I'll take a stab at Winnie for your WAIWA, if only because your description  immedeately conjoured up a mental image of him doing just that. 

You see, it's just like one of those Stallone movies - the old gang soon come out for another mission when asked!

My reply to Jane crossed with yours but you'll see Winston was still in the Admiralty at this point

David

1 hour ago, David Ridgus said:

"He marched with the battalion all the way after Merville, and apparently enjoyed it, but I doubt if the Staff Officer with him did - trudging along in the mud! ...He is tremendously keen and seems to like turning out in the dark on a winter's morning and marching with the Battalion. He is not to be allowed in the line for the present, much to his disgust!"

It's not this chap, is it? 

image.jpg