The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

It certainly is UG. Good to hear from you. 

As you surmised it is the Prince of Wales, described by 'Ma' Jeffreys in his diary of the Grenadier Guards at war in 1914. 

David

Edited by David Ridgus

Okay so that's sJ, nf and UG tempted out into the open. So now how to get my good friend Mr Owls back on board. Ah, I know:

In 1911 he was selected in the squad to play for Scotland against England at Goodison. However he did not play and was never selected again. However, 'it wasn't all bad news as on the very same day he signed with Everton. He remained there for a season but, never one to stay put if he didn't have to, went to their arch rivals Liverpool.'

WAIWA?

David

Hello David, et al

Happy New Year , I'm still around although had a bit of a rough patch since middle of November. 

Just starting to get back into my stride, in fact I have been on forum a couple of times these last few days. Done plenty of reading so there will be questions posted in all areas.

So UG got that one with Edward Fox:lol:

John

13 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hello David, et al

Happy New Year , I'm still around although had a bit of a rough patch since middle of November. 

Just starting to get back into my stride, in fact I have been on forum a couple of times these last few days. Done plenty of reading so there will be questions posted in all areas.

So UG got that one with Edward Fox:lol:

John

And the compliments of the season to you John. You were next on my list as I had lined up a Berkshire boy WAIWA which would have been shooting fish in a barrel for you

Glad you're on the mend. It seems to have been a tough few months for the Inmates and Witters, with any number of us hors de combat

David

Edited by David Ridgus

Curses, could have got that one for a change. Nice to see that you've rounded up the usual suspects David.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

5 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Curses, could have got that one for a change. Nice to see that you've rounded up the usual suspects David.

Pete.

But what about the temporary Evertonian specifically found for you?

David

53 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Okay so that's sJ, nf and UG tempted out into the open. So now how to get my good friend Mr Owls back on board. Ah, I know:

In 1911 he was selected in the squad to play for Scotland against England at Goodison. However he did not play and was never selected again. However, 'it wasn't all bad news as on the very same day he signed with Everton. He remained there for a season but, never one to stay put if he didn't have to, went to their arch rivals Liverpool.'

WAIWA?

David

I knows this one but since we've put the band back together I'll see if anyone else can hazard a guess. McCrae's battalion is all I'm saying.

Pete.

Call me old fashioned but I used to quite like the photo idenification mullarkey, so while everyone is pondering the description of the footballer (or not as the case may be) who is this then? Clue: one of them is called Gary apparently. This should be easy for the A team.

Pete.

Alvin York.jpg

6 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

WAIWA?

David

Is it John Machonnachie? Or perhaps his brother Stew?

Edited by neverforget

Just checking is the young lad looking at a Medal of Honor, sometime in the 1950's, or early 60's?

John

10 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

McCrae's battalion is all I'm saying.

Would the gentleman be one of the Hearts 11 with initials of TG who passed away in 1915?

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

Would the gentleman be one of the Hearts 11 with initials of TG who passed away in 1915?

That's the man I'm thinking of, but I'll await David's confirmation before doing a little biography.

7 hours ago, neverforget said:

Is it John Machonnachie? Or perhaps his brother Stew?

Good one. It was thought that John served with the Liverpool Scottish, but I think that his service was as a fitter in the RFC, and he was later invalided out. I thought I had his medal card somewhere but wouldn't you know it, I now can't find it.

Pete.

3 hours ago, Knotty said:

Just checking is the young lad looking at a Medal of Honor, sometime in the 1950's, or early 60's?

John

I suspect it is very early 60's.

Pete.

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

That's the man I'm thinking of, but I'll await David's confirmation before doing a little biography.

You are right of course folks. Over to you Pete for the story

David

I'm pretty sure that the gentleman with the MoH is the legendary Sgt Alvin C York, albeit he finished his military career as a Colonel.

John

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

I'm pretty sure that the gentleman with the MoH is the legendary Sgt Alvin C York, albeit he finished his military career as a Colonel.

John

Spot on John. Alvin York towards the end of his life, it is a photograph that I really like.

I recently read about this Frenchman who had many firsts to his name, who is it?

IMG_0129.JPG

Of course the default answer on WIT when faced with a Frenchman in a kepi is 'Robert Nivelle' (if only because it annoys Pete so much). However this appears to be one of the few French officers who does not look like Nivelle so I'm afraid I have no idea.

David

Yes you do David. :)

He's appeared here before. I'm sure it was you who who solved him too, though I can't swear to that. 

How embarrassing. However as this morning I went to school without my lunch, my flask, my diary and 10Y1's homework I suppose it's not really surprising that I've forgotten this chap.

So gentlemen you are going to have to be kind to a poor old man and tell me who it is

David

PS And stop hooting with laughter Pete

13 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

How embarrassing. However as this morning I went to school without my lunch, my flask, my diary and 10Y1's homework I suppose it's not really surprising that I've forgotten this chap.

So gentlemen you are going to have to be kind to a poor old man and tell me who it is

David

PS And stop hooting with laughter Pete

You used up a week's worth of pupil's excuses in a day there David. 

We're still not going to tell you though. I'm sure you understand that this is no place to appeal for gentlemanly kindness. (heh heh heh, as someone sadly missed used to say)

Okay, I'll get thinking. However while I am here's one from me. I listened to a programme about this chap on the wireless today and was surprised by what I heard about his Great War experiences. A composer who fled the Nazis his views were not exactly charitable in 1914.

wit 46.jpg

Edited by David Ridgus

55 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Okay, I'll get thinking. However while I am here's one from me. I listened to a programme about this chap on the wireless today and was surprised by what I heard about his Great War experiences. A composer who fled the Nazis his views were not exactly charitable in 1914.

wit 46.jpg

Arnold Schoenberg?

Can't find anything about his ww1 experiences other than he was rejected on medical grounds. 

http://yalebooksblog.co.uk/2013/04/16/forbidden-music-the-jewish-composers-banned-by-the-nazis-author-article-by-michael-haas/

30 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Arnold Schoenberg?

Can't find anything about his ww1 experiences other than he was rejected on medical grounds. 

Good spot nf, it is indeed Arnold Schoenberg.

in a programme on Radio 3 this afternoon it said that when war was declared he enthusiastically enlisted although he was 42. He said, 'Now comes the reckoning! Now we will throw these mediocre kitschmongers into slavery, and teach them to venerate the German spirit and to worship the German God.' The kitschmongers? Bizet, Stravinsky and Ravel. 

If you want someone to carry a grudge above and beyond sense, taste and proportion find yourself someone in the Arts!!

The only consolation, such as it is, is that apparently he was a seriously lousy soldier who the German army got rid of as soon as they could

David