The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Looney tunes springs to mind. 

Bizet is one of my favourite composers. Schoenberg is not. 

(Indulge me in a plug for the golden voice of Jussi Bjorling)

Edited by neverforget

David 

Post #5525, Who am I to ignore the advice of a Brigadier-General:D

John

Edited by Knotty

How about another Medal of Honor winner, a Major in the Great War, who with his WW2 service amassed several awards from both home and foreign countries. 

A cryptic clue could be, we are being watched!

John

IMG_0130.JPG

Well glory be the Lord Protector is back amongst us. Can a 'heh, heh, heh!' be far behind?

I abandoned WIT for a few reasons:

1.   The subjects were becoming increasingly obscure. Whilst there is nothing intrinsically wrong with that, I was spending far too much time searching for identifications.

2.   I thought that the difficulty of identifying subjects was likely to be off-putting to many Pals who joined and had a go. Either they wouldn't have a clue as to the solution, or (this is worse) their own efforts would be instantly answered by the old hands. A good example is what has just occurred - I dropped in, and there was Wild Bill looking at me.

3.   Repetition was becoming very common. What is the best way to respond ?

I felt that I had been here too long for any good I might have been doing, so, I had done with myself and was begone. In the name of God, I went.

Does this sound condescending ?

Heh, heh, heh.

SD

Not at all. I think you identify all the issues that led to the thread slowing down. And they were inevitable. As you know it all began almost by accident with that (still) unidentified chap that centurion put up and then snowballed. I certainly learnt a lot on the thread and greatly enjoyed the interaction with other Pals. However like you I was spending way too much time on it and pulled back. 

It now seems to have settled into a routine where every now and then somebody posts something that revives interest for a while and then it peters out. Personally I think that is fine and probably a more healthy state of affairs, for the old lags especially! As for repetition, my view is that it doesn't really matter as long as new people are looking at it. Anyway as you may have seen I apparently solved one before that I now have not a clue about.

For whatever reason, and however briefly, it was good to see you back on the thread

David

Just goes to show that not even the best of us can resist a bit of Wild Bill. :thumbsup:

If I might make so bold as to enlist the help of this chap, who might jog the memory regarding John`s outstanding Frenchie. 

As John said; more than one first tagged to his chap, but this fellow would dispute at least one of them.

There. A chance for someone to bag a brace. 

r1.jpg

Edited by neverforget

Nf

I will pass on this occasion for obvious reasons:thumbsup:

And confirm SD is correct:D

John

Edited by Knotty

10 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

I abandoned WIT for a few reasons:

1.   The subjects were becoming increasingly obscure. Whilst there is nothing intrinsically wrong with that, I was spending far too much time searching for identifications.

2.   I thought that the difficulty of identifying subjects was likely to be off-putting to many Pals who joined and had a go. Either they wouldn't have a clue as to the solution, or (this is worse) their own efforts would be instantly answered by the old hands. A good example is what has just occurred - I dropped in, and there was Wild Bill looking at me.

3.   Repetition was becoming very common. What is the best way to respond ?

My reasons for absenting myself are the same as SD's, plus:

4. It had become virtually obligatory for everyone to have some connection to TEL, or poetry, or both.

I still look in.

Ron

Is 5520 Roland Garros. Ist non-stop flight across the Med, Altitude record, 1st aerial battle, developed the interrupter gear for forward firing machine guns.

Eddie

5 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

somebody posts something that revives interest for a while and then it peters out.

I resent that. It's not all my fault.

1 hour ago, EDWARD1 said:

Is 5520 Roland Garros. Ist non-stop flight across the Med, Altitude record, 1st aerial battle, developed the interrupter gear for forward firing machine guns.

Eddie

Sorry Eddie, not this time.

John

Is that a Crown Prince? Lots of bling.

41 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Is that a Crown Prince? Lots of bling.

On the contrary. His family were just poor serfs 

Serfs makes it sound Russian. Hmmm.

(if that wasn't a typo for Serbs!)

57 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Serfs makes it sound Russian. Hmmm.

(if that wasn't a typo for Serbs!)

I was hoping you'd pick up on that.

So we have my Ruskie inextricably linked with John's Frenchie. Both laying claim to be a "first".

NF, is your Ruskie Igor Sikorsky?

18 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

NF, is your Ruskie Igor Sikorsky?

Not Sikorsky Pete, but a similar kind of pioneer who was killed in a duel with a noted Austrian pilot. 

It was a particular battle tactic that he came to be remembered for. 

nf

I think it is Peter Nesterov. His firsts were the first aerial victory and the first loop

David

So I think that makes John's Frenchie Adolphe Pegoud

David

Oui vous avez raison David, pour la deuxième fois.:thumbsup:

No I used a translating site before you ask:rolleyes:

John

1 hour ago, David Ridgus said:

nf

I think it is Peter Nesterov. His firsts were the first aerial victory and the first loop

David

Vy pravil'no Devid

Who is this???14449752_896744350457817_7507989010154498688_n.jpg

Celebrated naval WW1 commander. More recently the subject of a campaign for his recognition as a Righteous Gentile, following his brutal death in WW2.