The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Sir Samuel Hoare it is. Perhaps he is best known as one of the Guilty Men, and the subject of George V's only joke; but he was the head of the Secret Intelligence Service in St Petersberg during the GW, helped the Intelligence Service's recruitment of  Mussolini, and as Ambassador to Spain during the Second war deployed "bluff, leaks, bribery and subterfuge" to undermine Franco's regime. "Soapy Sam" had a number of admirable liberal intentions as Home Secretary, and played an honourable role in the kinder-transport programme.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/oct/13/benito-mussolini-recruited-mi5-italy

On 11 August 2014 at 22:02, David Ridgus said:

... Unfortunately this period also saw a suspected second outbreak of the visual recognition software that threatened to sink the thread way back in January. As before the signs were a 100% hit rate and a simple announcement of the name without preamble or back story. A pithy comment by the Lord Protector seemed to do the trick however and of course we will never know for sure whether there was a problem or not ...

• 1 month later...

Who is this fine old soldier, showing complete contempt for the Hun???20170321_131946.jpg

Haven't the foggiest, but she's wonderful!

6 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Haven't the foggiest, but she's wonderful!

She certainly is. So much going on in that face and behind those eyes. Quite a character and a Belgian national treasure.

4 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is she Marthe Cnockaert?

Not her Uncle George. 

A lion who led a donkey. Oh and a parrot and a dog 

13 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

Mother of the trenches

Indeed. A truly grand old stick.

http://www.flandersfields.be/en/her-side-war/madame-tack-and-mietje-boeuf-diksmuide

I've been wanting to submit this bloke for a while. He falls into an earlier theme, but didn't quite make it as far as I remember. It is a rather exclusive club, but he also has claim to a place on a much shorter roll of honour. 

/Dan 

guess.jpg

34 minutes ago, Beechhill said:

I've been wanting to submit this bloke for a while. He falls into an earlier theme, but didn't quite make it as far as I remember. It is a rather exclusive club, but he also has claim to a place on a much shorter roll of honour. 

/Dan 

guess.jpg

My rather Fasti reply

Capture.JPG

Ray

I knew I knew him but couldn't for the life of me remember who he was, unforgettable though he is I still can't remember who he is. 

On 21/3/2017 at 21:24, neverforget said:

I knew I knew him but couldn't for the life of me remember who he was, unforgettable though he is I still can't remember who he is. 

Since he hasn't been named (it's neither Blackadder or his Finnish cousin), I'll leave another hint. He shares nationality and last name with a rather famous author (or at least the author's nom de plume). 

The only Danish author i can think of is Hans Andersen ...

and that wasn't a nom de plume ...

1 hour ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Thomas Dinesen VC.

Thanks for putting me out of my agony Mr. Drill. I recognised the picture straight away, but just couldn't recall who he was. When I was born, God gave me the choice of either being hugely attractive to women or having a good memory. I can't remember which option I chose ?

2 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Thomas Dinesen VC.

There we go. Thomas earned the one of - afak - two Danish VC's in WW1. 

I had no idea he was related to Blixen, mva. Quite a set of offspring!

/Dan 

We've had him before!

Ron