The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

12 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

During his tenure of office as War Minister he was generally known as 'Colonel' Seely.

And the barb of a Churchill put down ( in the manner of Ernie Bevin and Herbert Morrison)- Someone said to Churchill-"So-and-so is the stupidest man alive". Churchill replied "Not while Jack Seely lives"  I think the quote was from the Thirties or even the early years of WW2-but come on SD, who was Churchill talking to and who was second only in stupidity to JEB????

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Yes, and aren't they splendid!

Rather. What a cracking source; thanks for putting them up UG.

Pete.

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

I would never have got Seeley, who was better known as Jack or a General, and rarely described as a Colonel (which was an honorary rank)

Anyway, one assumes that Kipling is posted as another example as his name is visible.

To continue with our Uncle's theme; another pair:

20170327_083503.jpg

I'm sure I've seen this picture very recently - possibly on this thread!  But can I remember the names? (No).

Just now, Uncle George said:

I'm sure I've seen this picture very recently - possibly on this thread!  But can I remember the names? (No).

Not only does it continue your theme, it also follows on from my last chap.

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

I think the encumbered architect on the left is Edwin Lutyens; but I too know the face of the chap on the right, but can't think of his name. I spotted the theme for a change NF, good one.

Pete.

Sir Herbert Baker.

I saw the picture in 'Empires of the Dead'.

Edited by Uncle George

3 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I think the encumbered architect on the left is Edwin Lutyens; but I too know the face of the chap on the right, but can't think of his name. I spotted the theme for a change NF, good one.

Pete.

Lutyens is correct Pete. 

Ware brought them together despite them having fallen out on a previous project in India.

If I remember correctly 'fell out' is a very mild description of what happened over New Delhi.

Pete.

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

Sir Herbert Baker.

Is correct! 

Responsible for Tyne Cot.

Incidentally, my posts were from the most recently read book called "Empires of the Dead" by David Crane. A marvellous piece of work imho.

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

If I remember correctly 'fell out' is a very mild description of what happened over New Delhi.

Pete.

Quite so. They brought their differences with them to France, but still an inspired move by Ware. 

...and which makes the cartoon so good I think. I've read David Crane's book and I thought it was good too.

Pete.

3 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

And the barb of a Churchill put down ( in the manner of Ernie Bevin and Herbert Morrison)- Someone said to Churchill-"So-and-so is the stupidest man alive". Churchill replied "Not while Jack Seely lives"  I think the quote was from the Thirties or even the early years of WW2-but come on SD, who was Churchill talking to and who was second only in stupidity to JEB????

Dunno. A large field to choose from !

Had it been later than your timeframe I would have had a go at Asquith being (unfairly) the butt of the gibe.

Remember, though, that "Churchill spent the best years of his life preparing impromptu remarks." 

Now who said that?

" An empty taxi drew up at Downing Street, and Clement Attlee got out"

Edited by Stoppage Drill

21 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

WSC, when this was said in front of him:

''Mr. Attlee is an honourable and gallant gentleman, and a faithful colleague who served his country well at the time of her greatest need. I should be obliged if you would make it clear whenever an occasion arises that I would never make such a remark about him, and that I strongly disapprove of anybody who does.''

33 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Dunno. A large field to choose from !

Had it been later than your timeframe I would have had a go at Asquith being (unfairly) the butt of the gibe.

Remember, though, that "Churchill spent the best years of his life preparing impromptu remarks." 

Now who said that?

SD-You disappoint!!  I don't think it was Asquith - he and Churchill's joint interest in promoting UK wine and spirit consumption mitigates against that (Anthony Sampson's story about the rollicking drunks in Piccadilly before 1914 is a good one on the sobriety of WSC and "Squiffy"-as well as F.E.Smith-well worth searching out)

You draw attention to Clement Richard A.-  both Churchill and Attlee were local to where I live. Attlee lived in the Monkhams area of Woodford-indeed(although I have never worked it out one way or the other), it is possible that CRA had Churchill as his local MP for a time. I wonder who he voted for!!

Despite Churchill's barbs, I plead in his defence. Yes, Churchill could be barbative- but he could also take the barbs as well. And both Jack Seely and Attlee held Churchill in high regard-and he them. Attlee, of course, being an approver of Churchill's  Dardanelles schemes. By far the best quote about Churchill's greatness I have come across is by the imperial historian, the late A.P.Thornton: "Churchill, easy to criticise, impossible to diminish"

4 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

I'm surprised to hear this- Seely and WSC were close friends, although they briefly fell out in 1919 when Seely resigned from the Air Ministry.

my guess: WSC was talking to his great confidante Violet Bonham Carter; the stupid man was Stafford Cripps.

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

my guess: WSC was talking to his great confidante Violet Bonham Carter; the stupid man was Stafford Cripps.

I will have to track this down-I think it is somewhere in the Martin Gilbert official biography. Yes, WSC could be acerbic when in the company of dear Violet- but, not,I think, about Stafford Cripps. Churchill was well aware of his formidable intellectual skills- and,I think, rated him the greatest Labour threat before the war-as well as sending him to Moscow as Ambassador (OK,being Ambassador can be a way of getting rid of someone-but the Moscow job required brains, as well as the Cripps family connections with Russia pre-revolution)

Something deep down in me half-remembers that the subject of the Churchill  barb might be  Leslie Hore-Belisha-and that someone had commented on L H-B being the stupidest Sec.State for War ever-hence, "Not while Jack Seely lives" (I think JEB pegged off in 1947) 

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

I will have to track this down-I think it is somewhere in the Martin Gilbert official biography. Yes, WSC could be acerbic when in the company of dear Violet- but, not,I think, about Stafford Cripps. Churchill was well aware of his formidable intellectual skills- and,I think, rated him the greatest Labour threat before the war-as well as sending him to Moscow as Ambassador (OK,being Ambassador can be a way of getting rid of someone-but the Moscow job required brains, as well as the Cripps family connections with Russia pre-revolution)

It is of course possible to possess intellectual gifts, and to be at the same time, stupid! 

I have Gilbert's one-volume 1991 biography: the anecdote is not to be found there.

Can't find it in Google Books.

The anecdote is not in John Charmley's 1993 biography; nor in Roy Jenkins' 2001 biography; nor Violet Bonham Carter's 1965 biographical sketch. 

Whilst the debate continues, who are these brothers in war, but not brothers in arms???

p028qljb.jpg

17 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Jack Seely. Minister of War 1912-1914,  Colonel Hampshire Yeomanry at start of war. Commanded Canadian Cavalry by 1918.

Galloper Jack.

Owner of 'Warrior.'

Thank you SD. As I have the book and saw the documentary I don't know why I didn't make the connection.

Oh yes of course, I'm old!

David

42 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Whilst the debate continues, who are these brothers in war, but not brothers in arms???

p028qljb.jpg

Something tells me we've had these chaps - is the unusual cap badge the Friends' Ambulance Unit, or similar?

47 minutes ago, neverforget said:

p028qljb.jpg

Here's your cryptic clue

one.jpg

Edited by RaySearching

5 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Something tells me we've had these chaps - is the unusual cap badge the Friends' Ambulance Unit, or similar?

Well spotted Uncle George, you undoubtedly recognise the founder of the same. Apologies for the re-run; I don't recall them appearing before.

4 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Laurence and Bertie Cadbury.

Indeed. A couple of local lads. I live about a mile away from Cadbury's