The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

1 hour ago, David Ridgus said:

Thank you SD. As I have the book and saw the documentary I don't know why I didn't make the connection.

Oh yes of course, I'm old!

David

I knew that you knew.

We all have our Thesiger moments !

Well, now that I have worked out what Metropolitan Police "Super-Identifiers" do in their off-duty time..........

A nice easy one- name has come up on this thread before-but my apologies if this photo. has already appeared: Cap badge collectors should get him from a thousand paces........ on a dark night......in the fog

Image result for basil rathbone

“If I should die, think only this of me:
That there’s some corner of a foreign field
That is forever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England’s, breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by the suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away’
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends, and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under an English heaven,”

Ray

26 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I'm lost with this ...

Dorsetshire Regiment?

My fault- this is the brother- the more famous one is just too easy.

But a clue to ease the pain-  Sheila Marriner. Liverpool. 1961.  Remember that I was a bookseller and it should be easy to crack........

It must be Alfred then, as Richard died in 1907

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/archive-centre/introduction-archives/brooke-family/brothers.html

Edited by neverforget

42 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I'm lost with this ...

Dorsetshire Regiment?

Ray Searching has it.  Yes, The Dorsetshire Regiment- 3rd Bn. 

14 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Basil Rathbone's brother John, KIA 1918?

Just so- Captain J.E.V.Rathbone, 3rd attached 1st Dorsets.  Basil was just too easy. Although- unusual for an organisation not given to the cult of celebrity, CWGC actually says that he was the brother of the actor Basil Rathbone on the listing for John Rathbone.

Your clues led me to John Rathbone.

Since then I did a search for the name on 'Google images', which took me straight to your image placed in juxtaposition with Brooke's poem, (which apparently inspired Basil to enlist).

How well Ray did to get there straightaway!

http://www.basilrathbone.net/biography/ww1.htm

Edited by Uncle George

Confusion reigns here. I think I'm in for "one of those days"

18 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Confusion reigns here. I think I'm in for "one of those days"

Don't worry-if it's just a day,then you have got off lightly

Image result for mildred thomson lauder

Try this one-  One of the great tragic love stories of the war-  with an unexpected twist 6 decades later

• Admin
48 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Just so- Captain J.E.V.Rathbone, 3rd attached 1st Dorsets.  Basil was just too easy. Although- unusual for an organisation not given to the cult of celebrity, CWGC actually says that he was the brother of the actor Basil Rathbone on the listing for John Rathbone.

In fact the CWGC have amended a lot of the entries with additional information, which was not originally provided, I can think of Roland Leighton at Louvencourt, Edward Thomas at Agny and Isaac Rosenberg at Bailleul Road East off the top of my head, and I am sure there are more. Sadly, they have also excluded original information from the old registers in the green reprints now, BSM Rumsey  at Pierrefonds les Bains was drowned, this information appeared in the original register, but not now.

21 minutes ago, TwoEssGee said:

Captain John Lauder, of The Argyll's?

Spot on dear boy-the question mark is superfluous- A  tragic story-I remember well when Erskine Hospital had its Lauder-Thomson Ward and the story received a deal of publicity. 

No confusion here ;)

His pa created the best football anthem ever. :P

15 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Spot on dear boy-the question mark is superfluous- A  tragic story-I remember well when Erskine Hospital had its Lauder-Thomson Ward and the story received a deal of publicity. 

The photograph appears to have been taken on the steps of Laudervale, Dunoon, and shows John Lauder and Mildred Thomson, with Mrs Lauder on the right.

Here's an affecting passage from Harry Lauder's memoir of his son:

"My whole perspective was changed by my visit to the front. Never again shall I know those moments of black despair that used to come to me. In my thoughts I shall never be far away from the little cemetery hard by the Bapaume road. And life would not be worth the living for me did I not believe that each day brings me nearer to seeing him again."

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/11211/pg11211-images.html

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

In fact the CWGC have amended a lot of the entries with additional information, which was not originally provided, I can think of Roland Leighton at Louvencourt, Edward Thomas at Agny and Isaac Rosenberg at Bailleul Road East off the top of my head, and I am sure there are more. Sadly, they have also excluded original information from the old registers in the green reprints now, BSM Rumsey  at Pierrfonds les Bains was drowned, this information appeared in the original register, but not now.

Thank you- I was unaware that CWGC had added general interest information in recent years, reflecting connections with those famed later in their lives. Somehow it seems wrong to me to do other than remember that person for anything other than who they were-not the fame of a family member decades after. Please God, I hope the forebears of Simon Cowell came through unscathed.

Here`s a chap who had a famous "blond bombshell" granddaughter, who in turn had an equally famous father. Both movie stars.

granddad.jpg

Served in the Hussars, Bedfordshires, the Queens, and finally aboard ship.

Retired 1919 with the D.S.O. and served with intelligence between the wars.

5 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

Is it Albert Fluck (Fluck being Dianna Dors  real name)

Eddie

Fluck, no.

Father and daughter appeared together on screen more than once.